Mileage run suggestions please

Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don’t know what you are referring to here !
My understanding : a cheap ticket (in biz for example) with SV, generating miles based on distance. The the number of miles / Euro spent is then quite high...

On the other hand, regarding the previous post (flying EK on AF ticket), I am in the same darkness as you.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:29 am
Original Poster

My flight on KLM was in danger of being cancelled due to the weather from HUY - AMS, so I was rebooked on EK.

Checked my account after arrival, and hey presto, the miles were added as if I had taken the KL flight, not the EK one.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: Many
Thanks, rebooking because of storm Ana was my initial thought as well!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Made it, easily as it turns out so that is my 10th consecutive renewal for Platinum.

Level Miles balance
88853 Miles
Qualifying flights19 flightsDate of last transaction2017-12-18ą Incl. Level Miles carried over from 201613069 MilesCurrent Level Miles to carry over to 201818853 Miles
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Currently there is an amazingly cheap business class sale ex WAW to some Chinese destinations.

WAW-AMS-CTU-AMS-WAW for 830€ (can be booked under China Southern flight numbers -> more miles )

Other routings possible - but the direct one from AMS to CTU might work best to circumvent the China visa fees (when you book a separate nested ticket CTU-HKG for making use of the 72hour visa-free transit)

XMN, PEK, FOC also possible, but a tad more expensive.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Currently there is an amazingly cheap business class sale ex WAW to some Chinese destinations.

WAW-AMS-CTU-AMS-WAW for 830€ (can be booked under China Southern flight numbers -> more miles )

Other routings possible - but the direct one from AMS to CTU might work best to circumvent the China visa fees (when you book a separate nested ticket CTU-HKG for making use of the 72hour visa-free transit)

XMN, PEK, FOC also possible, but a tad more expensive.
If you have an other ticket Ex-China to an international destination you don't need a visa ?
I mean you have a roundtrip ticket Eu-pvg and a roundtrip Pvg-tyo is okay? Don't need a visa?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:44 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Wow, that is a great fare indeed!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by AurelAF96
If you have an other ticket Ex-China to an international destination you don't need a visa ?
I mean you have a roundtrip ticket Eu-pvg and a roundtrip Pvg-tyo is okay? Don't need a visa?
That's correct - however it does only work when you don't have a domestic connection to your end destination in China.
WAW-AMS-PVG works, WAW-AMS-PEK-PVG does not work. In the latter case you need a regular visa.

The reason for that is that you only get a transit visa that is valid in the city/provice of your transfer. So when you travel via PEK you would get a free transit visa that is valid in the Beijing region, but you are not allowed to go to PVG or another city/region in China from PEK.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:10 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Can this is done on the Easter weekend (Friday 30th March to Monday 2nd April, so no work for 4 days ) including positioning to/from my home airport of LHR? I cannot make it work searching on ITA Matrix even with a trying with an evening/night (after work) departure on Thursday 29th March from LHR.

On the above date and after going to CTU will just be in the reinvented Flying Blue XP (starts Sunday 1st April) distance band of => 3,500 miles to <5,000 miles on the return flight as Welcome to CGMAP.COM gives AMS-CTU to be 4,946 mi so that is 30 XP for CTU-AMS (likewiese for PEK-AMS). Where as, if going a little further, say PVG, for the PVG-AMS return goes into the next XP distance band of => 5,000 miles and earns 36 XP. So is it more economical, as in Ł/XP, to go to CTU or PEK or to a futher place such as PVG?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by siw
Can this is done on the Easter weekend (Friday 30th March to Monday 2nd April, so no work for 4 days ) including positioning to/from my home airport of LHR? I cannot make it work searching on ITA Matrix even with a trying with an evening/night (after work) departure on Thursday 29th March from LHR.

On the above date and after going to CTU will just be in the reinvented Flying Blue XP (starts Sunday 1st April) distance band of => 3,500 miles to <5,000 miles on the return flight as Welcome to CGMAP.COM gives AMS-CTU to be 4,946 mi so that is 30 XP for CTU-AMS (likewiese for PEK-AMS). Where as, if going a little further, say PVG, for the PVG-AMS return goes into the next XP distance band of => 5,000 miles and earns 36 XP. So is it more economical, as in Ł/XP, to go to CTU or PEK or to a futher place such as PVG?
There are better ways to earn XP (inner European AF business class segments with connection through CDG can be as cheap as 380€ -> 60 XP).

WAW-CTU is 815€, WAW-PEK is 1300€. almost 500€ more expense for an additional 12 XP? I don't think so.

I doubt that during Easter there are seats available..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
There are better ways to earn XP (inner European AF business class segments with connection through CDG can be as cheap as 380€ -> 60 XP).

WAW-CTU is 815€, WAW-PEK is 1300€. almost 500€ more expense for an additional 12 XP? I don't think so.

I doubt that during Easter there are seats available..
The cheapest I found is 399€ ... till march would it be (7x3) x 4 ? so 84 XP for a roundtrip with 4 segments in business within europe?

That would be okay I guess..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by FaBSy
The cheapest I found is 399€ ... till march would it be (7x3) x 4 ? so 84 XP for a roundtrip with 4 segments in business within europe?

That would be okay I guess..
Can you explain your calculation? I completely don't get it.

Before April 1 the base mileage for an inner european segment under 750 miles is 750 miles - with business class bonus (250%) a segment earns 1875 status miles - taken into account that you have four segments in that 400€ itinerary then you will earn a total of 7.500 status miles (elite bonus does not count for status miles) - that will convert into 7,5 * 5XP = 37,5XP.

So for a simple LHR-CDG-DUS-CDG-LHR you would earn 37,5 XP if the flight is taken before April 1 and 60XP when the flight takes place from April (15XP * x 4).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:51 am

Whoop? I thought 1 segment before April 1st gives 7 XP.... "For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP..) "
and the multiplicator for business flights is x3 ,,, the question is do you get 7 XP now for every segment independent of service class Eco/biz?

Last edited by FaBSy; Jan 12, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by FaBSy
Whoop? I thought 1 segment before April 1st gives 7 XP.... "For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP..) "
and the multiplicator for business flights is x3 ,,, the question is do you get 7 XP now for every segment independent of service class Eco/biz?
you don't get any XP for flights before April 1 - However on April 1 the status miles or segments will be converted into XP.

E.g. you collected 7500 miles and 4 segments - Flying Blue will convert 7500 miles into 37 or 38XP (7.5x5 depending on if they round up or down) and 4 segments into 28 XP (4x7). The higher amount of XP (either the mileage or the segment conversion) will be credited to your XP balance -> in this case you will end up with 37 or 38 XP.

If you have 10 segments and 1250 status miles (10*125 miles) you will get 70XP (10 segment x 7XP) as the conversion amount for the segments is higher than the conversion of miles (1,25 x 5 = 6XP)

Got it?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:43 am

Got it and I am disappointed. I often do domestic segments in russia...which will as it seems from April on only 2XP...Cheap segment runs are definitely over. No more intra-Spain or intra-Russia segments the cheapest status would be 3x 400€ for 12 Biz segments for gold..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.