Help! Delta Comfort Upgrade on Flying Blue?

Old May 29, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Help! Delta Comfort Upgrade on Flying Blue?

Hey everyone,
I don't really get the lingo on how to get a free Delta Comfort upgrade on a Flying Blue Silver pass.

I am not flying to Europe, but rather from SFO to LAX on Delta.

The ticket will be booked on Delta.com directly.

The lingo is here below:

Complimentary Delta Comfort+ seat upgrade are available on direct flights operated by Delta between North America and Europe via the seat map. For all other flights, Flying Blue Elite and Elite Plus members are required to request their Comfort+ upgrade during the booking process as a fare product rather than a paid seat product, and this can be done via delta.com or the Fly Delta app, at a Delta kiosk, through Delta Reservations or select other channels including travel agencies.

I thought that delta comfort was in a different fare class (w) than the main cabin fares, so I am just confused on what this phrase means

Flying Blue Elite and Elite Plus members are required to request their Comfort+ upgrade during the booking process as a fare product rather than a paid seat product

and how to execute the upgrade. If someone can guide me step by step that would be awesome! Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
You should see something like this once booked.

You will be added on the upgrade list at H-24 (at check-in basically) and it usually only clear at gate for SkyTeam Elite and Elite+
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2017, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

@Mirk thank you for attaching the image. really do appreciate it. How/when do you get the screen to pop up? Is it when you check in or something?

And since your flight number is covered, may I ask if it is a continental 48 state flight b/c I do not plan to travel to europe that much?

The around 30 sector flights I might take in the future will only last around 1-1.5 hours so just to make sure even really short flights count as one sector right to qualify for Gold/silver flying blue correct?
Old May 29, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

To add on to that I was also wondering, since you selected a request for first/business class, how often would you get that upgrade personally for yourself flying domestically on Delta? Would you get economy comfort instead if there are no biz/1st seats available?

Would you be on the same level as Delta Plat seeing that you are a FlyingBlue Plat member?
Old May 29, 2017, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC FB elites are given lower upgrade priority than DL elites. DL certainly wouldn't treat FB Plat the same as DL Plat. In fact, AFAIK the partner only sees status as SkyTeam Elite or SkyTeam ElitePlus, so at best you will be treated the same as a DL GM.

The partial page from delta.dumb that was posted upthread is what I see, as a DL elite, toward the end of the booking process, when I'm of course logged into my DL FF account.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by rickloss12345
@Mirk thank you for attaching the image. really do appreciate it. How/when do you get the screen to pop up? Is it when you check in or something?
It's when you manage your booking on delta.com, just need to scroll down and if you are eligible you should see what I showed you.

And since your flight number is covered, may I ask if it is a continental 48 state flight b/c I do not plan to travel to europe that much?
This is a US domestic segment but not a transcon (aka JFK-LAX/SFO) because those aren't eligible.

The around 30 sector flights I might take in the future will only last around 1-1.5 hours so just to make sure even really short flights count as one sector right to qualify for Gold/silver flying blue correct?
Since all fare class on Delta earn flyingblue miles then they will count as qualifying segments. Attention to flights such as those coded DL but operated by Westjet or Virgin Atlantic. Those won't earn FB miles.
See: https://www.flyingblue.com/earn-and-...air-lines.html

To add on to that I was also wondering, since you selected a request for first/business class, how often would you get that upgrade personally for yourself flying domestically on Delta? Would you get economy comfort instead if there are no biz/1st seats available?
You can select to be upgraded to Comfort if you want. In this case, I don't want an upgrade to C+.
The rate depends on your flight. Some people have 0% success, some like me managed to score a 50% success to First. I don't have much stats for C+ since it was introduced not so long ago and I've been preferring exit rows to a potential middle seat in C+.

Would you be on the same level as Delta Plat seeing that you are a FlyingBlue Plat member?
No. The upgrade priority is as following: SM Diamond -> SM Plat -> SM Gold -> SM Silver -> SkyTeam Elite/Elite+

Within those categories, the ranking is defined by factors such as fare ticket, if you have their credit card etc etc. You can find that information on Delta's website.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

@Mirk oh yeah just wondering when does flying blue upgrade you to the next status tier? Is it once you reach the minimum required sectors (for example 15 for silver) or does it have to be the end of the year when they do the status audit?

Plus do you get some sort of card in the mail once you reach silver or gold? do you get any card at ivory though?
Old May 30, 2017, 11:04 pm

@Mirk oh yeah just wondering when does flying blue upgrade you to the next status tier? Is it once you reach the minimum required sectors (for example 15 for silver) or does it have to be the end of the year when they do the status audit
The status upgrade happens within a few days after you reach the threshold.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Sorry to reference again, but do you get any sort of physical card from KLM for being an ff member once you reach silver? Or do they give it out at an ivory level?

Unrelated but heard that delta does not offer a silver card for its silver member so I was wondering if the same thing applies.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Sorry to reference again, but do you get any sort of physical card from KLM for being an ff member once you reach silver? Or do they give it out at an ivory level?

Unrelated but heard that delta does not offer a silver card for its silver member so I was wondering if the same thing applies.
Ivory members only receive a digital membership card, elite members receive a physical card as well.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Hi all,

I hope it is okay if I revive this thread. I have an upcoming return flight in Economy with Delta (on Delta ticket stock 006) and am able to request Comfort+ for TATL and First Class and/or Comfort+ for domestic when managing the booking through Delta's website. Also I have another booking with AF flight numbers (on AF ticket stock 057) with Business Class on the inbound and Economy on the outbound flight, all operated by Delta. I am not able to request any upgrade, the last section at the bottom of the "Manage your booking" page is simply not there. Is it related to the fact that I have different classes on the flight or that it is AF flight number / ticket stock? May the AF Plat hotline be able to help?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: called the Plat hotline and the agent said it is probably because of codeshare (AF numbers for a DL flight) but she is not sure. I didn't want to play the HUACA game so should I not hear anything I can do here on FT I will contact Delta. Still a few weeks left and afaik the update will not clear earlier than 24h before the flight anyway.

Last edited by HeartFist; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: 1. Update after calling hotline 2. Typo correction
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Can you try just selecting the seats?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:06 am

No, you may only request an upgrade and usually have it granted at check-in or at the gate (or not). With the flights still days or weeks ahead I am only able to select seats in "Main Cabin" (incl. exit row).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Consider carefully if you want to sit in a middle seat in Y+ or an aisle/window on the exit row, which might provide better comfort.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:00 am

I am aware of that, but thanks for the remark. I was more interested in requesting an upgrade to First Class for the domestic segment anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.