KLM / AF prepares for possible laptop ban

Old May 18, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
No, it wasn't fake news, but...it's not going to happen. However, it is not entirely of the minds of authorities.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39956968
It seems that an IATA lobby from de Juniac has helped a lot.

I am relieved, sending my DSLR equipment in the hold is a nightmare scenario for me!

Last edited by Zembla; May 18, 2017 at 1:26 am
Old May 18, 2017, 5:01 am

I did notice a lot of journalists in Europe missing the point on this insanity.

My issue is not that I do not have access to my device during the flight, that's an inconvenience than can be solved with a few books and some earplugs. No my issue is that I need to have my laptop again after the flight, undamaged and not stolen.

The fact that aircraft fire suppression systems are apparently incapable of dealing with a li-ion battery fire is a minor factor, those fires aren't that common and that's only going to mean 1 or at most 2 flights a year that are lost because of it.

Last edited by wijnands; May 18, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old May 18, 2017, 5:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by wijnands
The fact that aircraft fire suppression systems are apparently incapable of dealing with a li-ion battery fire is a minor factor, those fires aren't that common and that's only going to mean 1 or at most 2 flights a year that are lost because of it.

That's more possible casualties than any and all 'laptop bombs' have ever caused!
Old May 18, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by wijnands
and that's only going to mean 1 or at most 2 flights a year that are lost because of it.
Which is a lot more than the zero flights a year that are lost because of explosives brought on board, so let's just not even entertain the idea.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
I recently flew over 25 hours from Bangkok to San Francisco on Emirates and though it was a bit inconvenient not having my things, I got caught up on allot of my ink and paper reading and podcast listening.
I am not bothered about not having my laptop on the flight - I am bothered about it being damaged or missing when I get to the other end.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by chrismoose
I am not bothered about not having my laptop on the flight - I am bothered about it being damaged or missing when I get to the other end.
+1^
Old May 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrismoose
+1 ^

I used https://www.trov.com/ recently to cover those issues on a recent flight affected by a ban.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.