Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Attach Skymiles number to Flying Blue award reservation (on Delta)?

Old Mar 30, 17, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Long time lurker, finally had a specific question I couldn't find a direct answer to by searching the forums!

We live near a Delta hub. I'm looking at booking an award flight to HNL on Delta using Flying Blue miles (transferred from Chase UR). Very nice 15k miles for this trip...so 60k miles round trip for 2...seems like a great deal! Lots of availability when searching this route on the KLM search engine (searching seems to work much better/smoother there than on the AF site) too.

I have a Delta Gold Amex card that I could pay the fee to keep for an extra year so that I have it during these flights. (Originally we planned on using Skymiles to book this flight, I only recently found the better redemption by using Flying Blue instead.) It will cost $100 round trip to check 2 bags if we pay...and the fee is $95 so we'll come out 5 bucks ahead and get the priority boarding perk too. Seems all good.

Question is: will this work? From what I read you do NOT need to book/pay for the flight on the Delta Amex to get the benefit of a free checked bag, but you DO need to have your Skymiles number on the reservation.

Is there a way to attach my Skymiles number to this reservation instead of my Flying Blue number, even though it's a Flying Blue award flight? And...if I can attach my Skymiles number...will I be able to take advantage of the free checked bags and priority boarding?

Appreciate the help!
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
Is there a way to attach my Skymiles number to this reservation instead of my Flying Blue number, even though it's a Flying Blue award flight?
Welcome to Flyertalk
The answer is no to this question. For your other questions, I don't know. If you don't get answers here, you should consider asking the mods to move your thread to the DL forum.
Old Mar 31, 17, 12:00 am

It is possible, yes, but finding a competent agent who will change it is a whole different story
Old Mar 31, 17, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Question is: will this work?
No, it won't work.

Any advantages of your card apply only when you BUY a REVENUE ticket and pay IN FULLwith that card - it does not apply when you merely "pay" Flying Blue taxes and charges with the card on a ticket bought with miles.
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
No, it won't work.

Any advantages of your card apply only when you BUY a REVENUE ticket and pay IN FULLwith that card - it does not apply when you merely "pay" Flying Blue taxes and charges with the card on a ticket bought with miles.
I don't believe this is true (the first part anyways). I found a couple sources on this. Nowhere have I read that the flight must be paid for with the Delta credit card.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked/first-bag-free.html

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/06/21/how-does-the-baggage-credit-work-on-amex-delta-cards/
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:45 am
Original Poster

I also posted this in the Delta forum...wasn't sure where the best place was.

Seems to be almost 50/50 on answers as to whether or not I can attach my DL number to a DL flight booked with Flying Blue miles.

Does anyone know where I can find a definitive answer to this? Call Delta? Call Amex? Call KLM?

Last edited by guitarguy19; Mar 31, 17 at 6:51 am
Old Mar 31, 17, 11:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
If your hub has Delta ground people (it most likely does) handling KLM stuff, I'd give Delta a call and ask about the particularities of this.
Old Mar 31, 17, 12:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I also posted this in the Delta forum...wasn't sure where the best place was.

Seems to be almost 50/50 on answers as to whether or not I can attach my DL number to a DL flight booked with Flying Blue miles.

Does anyone know where I can find a definitive answer to this? Call Delta? Call Amex? Call KLM?

it is actually possible. i have booked a FB award flight LAX HNL in next July and i was able to change the FFP number from FB to SM. i can see that i keep the sky priority sign with my GOLD SM status. i was also able to request the complimentary upgrade.
Old Apr 1, 17, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newflyer27 View Post
it is actually possible. i have booked a FB award flight LAX HNL in next July and i was able to change the FFP number from FB to SM. i can see that i keep the sky priority sign with my GOLD SM status. i was also able to request the complimentary upgrade.
Great! How exactly did you change the number? On the DL website...?

Also, someone in the Delta forum said that the 15k classic award with FB automatically includes a free checked bag for each person!! No status required. Anyone else know about this? That would be amazing!
Old Apr 1, 17, 10:25 am

Great! How exactly did you change the number? On the DL website...?!
yes i was able to do it on delta website. you have the option to remove the FFP of the booking and put any other FFP.

I was also able to do the same change on an award ticket booked with my sky miles. i can remove the SM number and put any other one.
Also, someone in the Delta forum said that the 15k classic award with FB automatically includes a free checked bag for each person!! No status required. Anyone else know about this? That would be amazing!
it is not correct based on the email i received from AF when i made the booking. the email cleary says 0 x23kg +1x23 Kg thanks to my FB status.
Old Apr 1, 17, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
FB bookings come with a free bag when travelling on AF or KL only.
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:01 am

Haha, everybody keeps fighting me on the free bag I got on the exact same flights. I really got it, but I booked the award over the phone - maybe the agent just made an error? Check out the proof: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a...lHckNHVlk/view
Old Apr 3, 17, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Tim_R View Post
Haha, everybody keeps fighting me on the free bag I got on the exact same flights. I really got it, but I booked the award over the phone - maybe the agent just made an error? Check out the proof: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a...lHckNHVlk/view
Well that is not what I received as you can see attached.
You have no status with FB?
Attached Images  
Old Apr 3, 17, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by newflyer27 View Post
Well that is not what I received as you can see attached.
You have no status with FB?
Nope, no status - so weird! Calling Flying Blue so see what's what might be the best advice. Maybe I just got lucky :-)
Old Apr 3, 17, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim_R View Post
Nope, no status - so weird! Calling Flying Blue so see what's what might be the best advice. Maybe I just got lucky :-)
Weird! I'm hoping I can attach my DL FF number and I think I'd be set with the Gold Skymiles Amex. But if not maybe I will call them to see what's up! Seems weird they would include it for one person but not another. Maybe it was a mistake...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: