Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly KLM or Swiss? from AMS-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, E-Miles, lots and lots of cashback sites!
Fly KLM or Swiss? from AMS-JFK

I will be traveling to Europe for the first time this August and would like opinions on which return option from AMS-JFK is best. My flight (to CDG) is already booked, but I have a few options for a business class return. Since I have never flown business class and likely won't anytime soon (I'm not a churner and regular spend is low), I really want this to be a great experience.

With Citi ThankYou points from the Prestige, I can fly either:

• KLM 641 on Boeing 777-200. Nonstop flight. 62.5k AF miles + $252.35
  • KLM 643 on Boeing 787-9. Nonstop flight. 62.5k AF miles + $252.35
  • LX 737/LX 16 on Airbus 319/330. Connection in ZRH. 65k KrisFlyer miles + ??
  • LX 725/LX14 on Airbus 321/330. Connection in ZRH. 65k KrisFlyer miles + ??

I would prefer nonstop since I've never taken a connecting flight before, though I've traveled internationally many times, but not sure if Swiss is far better regardless. I do like flying, even in economy, so longer flight time doesn't necessarily bother me. Also, is there any way to find out how much the taxes and fees would be for the Swiss options without calling Singapore Airlines?

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited by jewels11; Mar 27, 2017 at 9:46 am Reason: formatting
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Beware. AF may cancel your Flying Blue reservation if it was made with a Flying Blue account that was opened specifically to receive these credit card points, and in which you have never earned any miles through flying.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:25 am

What do you want to do on the day of flight? The 641 is a day flight and the 643 gives you the day in NL. If it's not low budget, i would go for the direct flight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I would go with the KLM 787.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mcflyneo
What do you want to do on the day of flight? The 641 is a day flight and the 643 gives you the day in NL. If it's not low budget, i would go for the direct flight.
Good point! I wouldn't want to do anything too far from Central Station as I would be taking the train to the airport.

Originally Posted by caliform
I would go with the KLM 787.
May I ask why the 787 over the 777? Also, which side would be best to sit on for nice views? The A side or K side?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Beware. AF may cancel your Flying Blue reservation if it was made with a Flying Blue account that was opened specifically to receive these credit card points, and in which you have never earned any miles through flying.
Do you have any datapoints for that? My FB account was created specifically to search for award space and receive points, but I set it up a year ago and have been searching regularly. Would that make a difference? Definitely want to avoid this happening!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by jewels11
Good point! I wouldn't want to do anything too far from Central Station as I would be taking the train to the airport.

May I ask why the 787 over the 777? Also, which side would be best to sit on for nice views? The A side or K side?
The 787 has 1-2-1 reverse-herringbone seats with direct aisle access. The 777 will have you sitting next to someone so if you want to get out of your seat you have to step by / over (if they sleep) them, which can be a nuisance.

The 787 is newer, so you get a nicer screen, better cabin pressure with higher humidity, electronically dimmable windows... it's nice.

If you are flying AMS-JFK, you want to sit on the K side, as you'll have views of Greenland and the Arctic.

Yes, I do advise caution; if your account has no 'legitimate' activity FB has been known to shut it down at times. I'd book it well ahead of time so you can sort out any issues if they do arise.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by jewels11
Do you have any datapoints for that? My FB account was created specifically to search for award space and receive points, but I set it up a year ago and have been searching regularly. Would that make a difference? Definitely want to avoid this happening!
There's a thread I started earlier about issues I had. Note it was successfully resolved, but was a royal pain caused by relatively unusual circumstances.

It wasn't a shutdown, but they refused to process tickets without presenting at an office in person. This may be a lot easier for you than it is for me.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:20 pm

The 787 has 1-2-1 reverse-herringbone seats with direct aisle access. The 777 will have you sitting next to someone so if you want to get out of your seat you have to step by / over (if they sleep) them, which can be a nuisance.

The 787 is newer, so you get a nicer screen, better cabin pressure with higher humidity, electronically dimmable windows... it's nice.

If you are flying AMS-JFK, you want to sit on the K side, as you'll have views of Greenland and the Arctic.

Yes, I do advise caution; if your account has no 'legitimate' activity FB has been known to shut it down at times. I'd book it well ahead of time so you can sort out any issues if they do arise.
I would go for the tripple
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mcflyneo
I would go for the tripple
Care to elaborate?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:06 pm

Care to elaborate?
symbolism Oh look, at my posts count

Last edited by Mcflyneo; Mar 28, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

electronically dimmable windows... it's nice.
Silly gimmick, in my opinion. I prefer to have full control of my window shade, instead of the cabin crew deciding when I may look out the window.

As far as LX is concerned, I do not like their J seat. Spacious enough if you get the right one, but uncomfortable to sit in, and almost impossible to sleep in.

KL's 777 seat is nothing to write home about, but it beats LX hands down. Can't comment on the 787 seat, but I'm not a herringbone fan.

Johan
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Silly gimmick, in my opinion. I prefer to have full control of my window shade, instead of the cabin crew deciding when I may look out the window.

As far as LX is concerned, I do not like their J seat. Spacious enough if you get the right one, but uncomfortable to sit in, and almost impossible to sleep in.

KL's 777 seat is nothing to write home about, but it beats LX hands down. Can't comment on the 787 seat, but I'm not a herringbone fan.

Johan
The 787 is largely identical to the 777. Maybe slightly smaller footwell, perhaps a tidbit smaller, but really for all purposes identical. The IFE and other bits are newer.

The dimming is a bit of a gimmick, but if you are going to check out something new, might as well fly the newest plane... and the coolest new tech
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The dimming is a bit of a gimmick, but if you are going to check out something new, might as well fly the newest plane... and the coolest new tech
I like the 787. It is bit quieter than most other aircraft, but personally I do not find the effect of higher cabin humidity noticeable.

Johan
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I prefer to have full control of my window shade, instead of the cabin crew deciding when I may look out the window.
While I understand that (why else would you pick a window seat?)...as an isle flyer myself, I do prefer the centralized-control method. Specifically during early morning flights (Eg TATL night flight back to AMS) I find it quite bothersome when the person at the window opens the blinds to an otherwise dark cabin. Most people are either asleep or watching a movie at that point and both are interrupted with a bright morning sun on the window

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.