Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

can you change FFP after you take the first leg of your itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

For example, if I have a reservation ticketed by KLM, outbound on KLM from US to Europe, return inbound on AF from Europe to US, can I credit miles to Delta in the first leg and to Alaska in the second leg??? (i.e. changing frequent flyer program after departure)....
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your question relates to the Delta Skymiles and Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan programmes, and therefore has nothing to do with Flying Blue.

The answer, though, is yes - but beware that sometimes changing a number doesn't work, and the miles may end up in the wrong programme.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Yes you can. 2 ways. But FFPs screw up, so be prepared for an outcome where one FFP mistakenly credits both legs.

1. Do not put your FFP number on the ticket, either at booking or checkin. Do retro claim for each leg to each FFP, preferably at the same time, so that one FFP does not mistakenly credit both legs to them.

2. Put the Delta FFP number on your ticket at checkin on outbound, then change the FFP number to Alaska on your ticket at checkin on inbound.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Yes you can. 2 ways. But FFPs screw up, so be prepared for an outcome where one FFP mistakenly credits both legs.

1. Do not put your FFP number on the ticket, either at booking or checkin. Do retro claim for each leg to each FFP, preferably at the same time, so that one FFP does not mistakenly credit both legs to them.

2. Put the Delta FFP number on your ticket at checkin on outbound, then change the FFP number to Alaska on your ticket at checkin on inbound.
So they definitely let you change frequent flyer program after taking the outbound flight when checking in for the return flight at airport counter?

I believe some airlines don't let you change FFP after the trip starts, but i am not sure AF/KLM is one of them.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:56 pm

Not quite sure how will that work, it will not work with 'automatic' retro-claim websites like the AF/KL one which will credit all segments on the same e-ticket, and most likely an agent will also do the same unless they are:
1. Being very competent
2. Getting very specific instructions from the OP

Now good luck with doing that on 2 different FFPs, I guess it is not impossible but I really doubt it is worth the hassle.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
So they definitely let you change frequent flyer program after taking the outbound flight when checking in for the return flight at airport counter?
The only "definite" things in life are death and taxes.

Whether your check-in agent will be willing and able to change the number can never be guaranteed.

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I believe some airlines don't let you change FFP after the trip starts, but i am not sure AF/KLM is one of them.
They may refuse to do so, but they don't hold the keys to the FQTV field. Anyone with access can change it.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do not do this. The first retro-claim action is likely to add both flight. Claiming "per sector" is not really how retro-claims works - unless you are doing so via a competent, helpful human agent.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do not do this. The first retro-claim action is likely to add both flight. Claiming "per sector" is not really how retro-claims works - unless you are doing so via a competent, helpful human agent.
The alternative is even worse. Including an FFP number to start with and then changing it half way works in about 0% of cases and almost invariably will lead to all of the op's flights being credited in one FFP.

For retroclaims it might work per sector but you have to use snail mail with very precise instructions, and be lucky that the people processing it pay proper attention.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:29 am

I have had Delta refuse to change the frequent flyer number after the first sector was flown, on several itineraries. On each occasion, the Delta gate agent said that it could not be changed after the first sector was flown.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be company policy to refuse to change it, but it's certainly not impossible.

However, people should not go around crafting elaborate (re-)qualification strategies, or mileage runs, in which the ability to "change" the FFP number during any ticket is a vital prong of the strategy. The potential for things to go wrong, and miles to go the "wrong" account, is too great.

The best strategies are simple - such as only ever associating a single FFP with any ticket. (If you're unusure where you want your miles to end up, don't associate any FFP number with the booking until you are certain that you know - or even fly without any FFP number associated and retro-claim from the "correct" one)

In may cases, a number associated with a booking may be remarkably "sticky", and even after apparently having changed the number, the miles may end up in the original account.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
.....In may cases, a number associated with a booking may be remarkably "sticky", and even after apparently having changed the number, the miles may end up in the original account.
That's how DL system is setup. You cannot change FFP for DL itinerary after first segment. This applies to AF/KL itineraries where ground handling is by DL.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's how DL system is setup. You cannot change FFP for DL itinerary after first segment. This applies to AF/KL itineraries where ground handling is by DL.
i tried online which get an error, do you know if an agent at the airport can do that? Delta flights having sky miles now.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsuo

i tried online which get an error, do you know if an agent at the airport can do that? Delta flights having sky miles now.
If you have not flown any segment on your itinerary, then airport agent can change FFP. If have flown any segment, then re-read my post #11 .
Old May 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
If you have not flown any segment on your itinerary, then airport agent can change FFP. If have flown any segment, then re-read my post #11 .
Thanks man.

My story ended by talk with check-in staff about it. So I basically want to check in a 66 lbs bag, which should be free with SkyTeam Elite (70lbs limit). However, because of the FFP of my reservation is SkyMiles without status, the initial check-in agent at SkyPriority refused after checking things for a few minutes unless I pay $100 overweight fee. But, then she went to a back room for a few minutes, get the supervisor out, and surprisingly, they want to check the domestic baggage allowance for domestic China flights for China Eastern Elites (which I'm having status), then they came out 30kg (67 lbs). *For domestic China flights, everyone gets 20kg free, and elites get 10 or 20 kg more. But after that, they can't go through the DL system to waive the fee. They eventually did something on the computer, and I checked my bag, and seeing bag fee paid on my bag tag. The whole process took about 25 minutes provided it's a very light hour for Delta (5 agents, but basically no passenger in line), I arrived 2 hours early. My suggestion, don't try it unless you want to take the risk to get refused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.