FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   KL/HV vs AF/AF? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1814851-kl-hv-vs-af-af.html)

bennos Jan 12, 2017 11:24 am

KL/HV vs AF/AF?

I had previously booked JFK-AMS-VIE in (paid) J, KL644 (744 combi!) connecting to KL1847 (738, operated by KL). KL1847 is now operated by HV, which doesn't offer a J cabin. I get that intra-EU J is nothing to write home about, but technically I paid for J end-to-end.

The only other viable itinerary for me is AF11 (BEST 77W) connecting to AF1738. I didn't book this itinerary originally because it has a 90 minute connection at CDG, and immigration there has been a mess lately. The next AF (OS) flight to VIE is 5 hours later.

OTOH, switching to AF means a better seat and pre-flight dinner at JFK (so more sleep on board), and if everything is on time, there are no strikes, and immigration isn't too terrible, I get into VIE about 2 hours earlier than via AMS.

At this point I can ask for whatever itinerary I want, but it's going to come down to one of these two options. I'm curious... what would the forum do?

Ditto Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am

I would go for the AF/AF, better hard product and as you said more time to sleep.
And even if you miss your connection and get on the next flight you only get to VIE about 2 hours later than your original arrival time.

Goldorak Jan 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 27750106)
I would go for the AF/AF, better hard product and as you said more time to sleep.
And even if you miss your connection and get on the next flight you only get to VIE about 2 hours later than your original arrival time.

+1. No brainer.

bennos Feb 22, 2017 1:42 am

Just to follow up, I ended up keeping the KL itinerary, for several reasons:
  1. 747s are getting harder to find, and I hadn't yet been on the combi. It's easier to find BEST (usually ;) )
  2. I still had my original 1A seat assignment :)
  3. I wasn't particularly comfortable with the 90 minute CDG connection.
  4. I was curious about the whole HV replacement aircraft situation.
  5. Delft house.
  6. KL meal service is a nice change of pace from AF meal service.

It turned out that the VIE flight was operated using HV metal, but with a KL crew (and KL in flight services, such as they were). Strangely, the gate agents decided to arbitrarily enforce HV carry on rules, and there was no SkyPriority boarding. I ended up getting an exit row, which seemed a reasonable trade for a blocked middle (more leg room, less arm room).

caliform Feb 22, 2017 1:44 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 27941945)
Just to follow up, I ended up keeping the KL itinerary, for several reasons:
  1. 747s are getting harder to find, and I hadn't yet been on the combi. It's easier to find BEST (usually ;) )
  2. I still had my original 1A seat assignment :)
  3. I wasn't particularly comfortable with the 90 minute CDG connection.
  4. I was curious about the whole HV replacement aircraft situation.
  5. Delft house.
  6. KL meal service is a nice change of pace from AF meal service.

It turned out that the VIE flight was operated using HV metal, but with a KL crew (and KL in flight services, such as they were). Strangely, the gate agents decided to arbitrarily enforce HV carry on rules, and there was no SkyPriority boarding. I ended up getting an exit row, which seemed a reasonable trade for a blocked middle (more leg room, less arm room).

Nice - while I was going to comment 90 min in CDG is plenty, I too like to avoid the airport and absolutely love the 747s. Glad you flew it :)

CyBeR Feb 22, 2017 2:35 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 27941945)
It turned out that the VIE flight was operated using HV metal, but with a KL crew (and KL in flight services, such as they were).

Ah, you found this situation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...ed-flight.html

irishguy28 Feb 22, 2017 2:46 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 27942052)

Indeed, the OP was the first to post about this back in January! (see original post in this thread)

bennos Feb 23, 2017 3:51 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 27942052)

Ah yes, apparently. Thanks for the cross reference.

Also, I forgot to mention the 2F lounge renovation situation as another reason to go with the AMS transit.