Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Additional platinum benefit: children in AMS lounge (not as additional guest)

Old Jan 9, 17, 2:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/fly...s/platinum.htm

Lounge access fee varies depending on the airport and access is subject to availability.
* Flying Blue Platinum members can take their children aged 0-18 for free into the KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol when they are travelling on the same flight. Platinum members travelling on the same flight with their children aged 18-24 receive a discounted access rate of 15 or 2,500 Miles per child.
I understand from FB that this is currently only offered at Amsterdam.

Personally, does not impact me but added benefit for those who want their family to enjoy the benefit on an annual holiday.
I suppose with the expansion of the non-Schengen lounge there should be enough availability to ensure does not become overcrowded.

Last edited by Gajan; Jan 9, 17 at 2:19 am
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Not a bad thing IMO.
Old Jan 9, 17, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Not a bad thing IMO.
You probably have kids aged 0-18 then
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
As long as the lounges are as big as the two KLM lounges in Amsterdam, it won't really bother me.

In most hotel lounges I'm not a fan of kids because they usually make more noise than other visitors (there are exceptions).

I'd be a fan of allowing kids up until a certain age in separate areas, not only in lounges, also in planes, where people that are not bothered by some lively sounds can site together. Speaking for myself, I'd prefer a bit of rest when traveling, if reasonably possible

Nice recent blog about similar topicality: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-first-class/
Carel1 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 17, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
As long as the lounges are as big as the two KLM lounges in Amsterdam, it won't really bother me.
Their sheer size detracts from the experience, no matter how full they are. But boy, are those lounges ever packed to the rafters at times.

At AMS I use the Privium ClubLounge for all the obvious reasons, but I walked into Crown Lounge 52 one evening a few months ago, just because I was spending the night at the Mercure directly opposite. Oh, wow!

Not only was there nary an empty seat to be found, but the lack of amenities was shocking. No way that chucking in a few dozen rowdy kids can make the experience any worse than it already is.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 11, 17 at 4:58 am
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:44 pm

It must be a move to get the kids to appreciate the renowned fine cuisine of KLM lounges

G
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You probably have kids aged 0-18 then
No
Old Jan 9, 17, 3:26 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Wasn't this an unpublished benefit before? I never had issues bringing my kids into the lounge. Even other lounges.
Old Jan 10, 17, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does "(not as additional guest)" in the title mean?

Surely they are guests [unless it is the children that assume the lounge access privilege and the platinum parent that therefore becomes the guest!], and are additional?
Old Jan 10, 17, 9:11 pm

Programs: Many
Good news!
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I have mixed feelings for this. I think it should have been better if they limited this to children aged 15 at least.
- how are they going to check if indeed they are legally their child? (just base on last name?)
- are they going to make it common sense that if the lounge are getting full, to still allow this?
- since they are not treated as additional guest, if a family has 5 children fulfilling the criteria - this means 7 pax entering the lounge - isn't this a bit too much?

If they can extend this to children, why not to parents older than 70 years old and above (they too have difficulty to be left alone )

Cheers!
Old Feb 4, 20, 1:06 pm

Hi,

Is this still relevant? I can't find this on the Flying Blue nor KLM site anymore, did they take perk away?
Tomorrow traveling with wife and kid (<10 years old), anyone with Platinum status recently got free access?
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
It's still there (cant attach a link)

​​
6. If you pay in cash for access to the KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and are Explorer, you get a 10% discount while Silver members get a 25% discount. In addition to general lounge access benefits, Gold and Platinum members also get free access to KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol when travelling on an international flight marketed as KLM and operated by a non-SkyTeam Flying Blue partner. If you are Platinum, you can bring your children into the KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol for free if they are on the same flight and are 0-18 years old, or for a discounted rate if they are on the same flight and are 18-24 years old.
And it had better be honoured otherwise I'll have two disappointed boys on Monday...
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by BobbyDavro View Post
It's still there (cant attach a link)

​​

And it had better be honoured otherwise I'll have two disappointed boys on Monday...
where did you find that text?
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobbyDavro View Post
They'll be pretty disappointed leaving the lounge.

And not because of the fact that they're leaving the lounge....
Carel1, johan rebel and Goldorak like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: