Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Award ticket too complex? Told to go to airport/ticket office to issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold

Hello,

I am booking an award ticket for my sister (US-LON) on DL metal using my Flying Blue miles. I found the space easily online and have enough miles for the transaction. However, when I input my payment I was told that the query is too complex to be booked online and that I must go to an Air France ticket office. I called Flying Blue and was told the same thing, though the phone agent couldn't tell me why.

Any insight on this? Is this a HUACA situation?

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I never heard of such a request.
If your itin was proposed online on the AF website, how could it be deemed too complex? If so, the phone agent should still be able to ticket it; a visit to a ticket office should not make a difference as they will use the same system.

Could you detail the itinerary and flights? Are they all AF coded?

One possible explanation is that you were flagged as potential miles seller. How did you get your FB miles (you don't list FB in your profile)? Does you sister has the same name as you?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Sure, it is DSM-MSP-LHR, all on Delta metal. Not sure if the flights are Air France coded but the itinerary came up right away on Air France's website as bookable with 62.5k miles. I actually made my FB account just so I could use this redemption. The miles came from transferring Chase points. Yes, my sister has the same last name.

After exchanging direct messages with Air France twitter and calling Flying Blue, it sounds like it's your latter explanation. I was told on the phone it's to verify that the activity isn't fraudulent. I just wish they would have a better way than making me trek to the airport! This is a very busy travel time and it's probably going to be a madhouse....
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Air France intended Flying Blue to be used as a frequent flyer reward programme - not to reward frequent buyers.

There are numerous reports here on FT and on other sites of FB accounts created solely to receive credit card transfers to make instant redemptions being closed down or audited, having tickets and miles confiscated , or in your case being requested to go to a ticket office to verify and explain your actions .

Air France doesn't want this kind of business . I know that in North America this sort of "shopping around" with credit card miles is the norm, but AF is one airline that realises it's own customers don't have the same options so they apparently do what they can to restrict the practice.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Air France intended Flying Blue to be used as a frequent flyer reward programme - not to reward frequent buyers.

There are numerous reports here on FT and on other sites of FB accounts created solely to receive credit card transfers to make instant redemptions being closed down or audited, having tickets and miles confiscated , or in your case being requested to go to a ticket office to verify and explain your actions .

Air France doesn't want this kind of business . I know that in North America this sort of "shopping around" with credit card miles is the norm, but AF is one airline that realises it's own customers don't have the same options so they apparently do what they can to restrict the practice.
I understand the reasoning, and that motivation is clearly in the background.

But any FFP is a business unit. AF has been less agressive than other airlines regarding credit cards, but it still has agreements with credit cards. Its branding agreement with AMEX seems exclusive, But it also has simple transfer points agreements with several other credit card companies, including Chase. AF does it because it is a profitable sale of miles for them, not to encourage cardholders to fly AF. If AF is happy to cash on the miles they sell, they have to honor the request of a cardholder who wishes to transfer and use his miles.

If it is a legitimate transaction, they are legally obliged to issue the award whether they like it or not. What any airline utterly dislikes is when the miles are bartered. And someone creating a FB account to transfer some miles and then asking for an award in another pax name looks suspicious.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And they do allow such transfers because it benefits their customers as well as the airline itself and the credit card companies themselves.

We only hear reports of such actions when it pertains to a brand new account with no flying history.

Perhaps AF should be more upfront about all this but I don't see how - or why. I presume the OP went with FB because it was far cheaper than going with a Delta redemption . Great for the OP but bad for the beleaguered FB flyer who has to earn miles the hard way...and then finds availability drained by non-AF flyers transferring their miles from churning credit cards and manufacturing spend.

Perhaps if they introduced a restriction such as - must have had X qualifying flights in the previous 12 months , or a requirement that at least Y % of the miles were earned by non-transfer means - but that would needlessly restrict all users when they can already adequately target those they want to restrict
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Sure, it is DSM-MSP-LHR, all on Delta metal. Not sure if the flights are Air France coded but the itinerary came up right away on Air France's website as bookable with 62.5k miles. I actually made my FB account just so I could use this redemption. The miles came from transferring Chase points. Yes, my sister has the same last name.

After exchanging direct messages with Air France twitter and calling Flying Blue, it sounds like it's your latter explanation. I was told on the phone it's to verify that the activity isn't fraudulent. I just wish they would have a better way than making me trek to the airport! This is a very busy travel time and it's probably going to be a madhouse....
Were you able to get this booked? Your situation is very similar to mine and I'm about ready to transfer the miles from Chase to my FB account, but this gives me pause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.