Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue benefits and earnings on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:23 am

I think upgrade chances are influenced by time of travel more than anything. I'm upgraded 30-40% of the time on DL flights, mostly between JFK and east coast or midwest cities, including flights to other DL hubs like ATL and MSP. And I'm real bottom of the upgrade list as only FB silver, so getting the upgrade simply means fewer people on upgrade list than empty first class seats. But that seems to happen to me a lot more than some FB members. All of my flights are for leisure so I suspect I end up on relatively empty flights without any heavy business travelers.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:26 pm

Hi -

Are the RDM earnings better on FB than on DL Skymiles now? the miles/$might still be worse than the reduced % of flight miles.

Last edited by Orwaid; Nov 19, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rfrn
And I'm real bottom of the upgrade list as only FB silver,
Just a technical precision: FB status makes absolutely no difference in the pecking order for DL upgrades. FB Silver, Gold, Platinum are all part of the exact same pool for upgrades (which is after all DL own elites) with the other DL discriminators (when was ticket booked, fare, etc) used to prioritise between them but not their FB status.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just a technical precision: FB status makes absolutely no difference in the pecking order for DL upgrades. FB Silver, Gold, Platinum are all part of the exact same pool for upgrades (which is after all DL own elites) with the other DL discriminators (when was ticket booked, fare, etc) used to prioritise between them but not their FB status.
oh really? I didn't know that.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
oh really? I didn't know that.
Yep. One of the very annoying things about the system Confirmed to me by both FB and DL.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just a technical precision: FB status makes absolutely no difference in the pecking order for DL upgrades.
Here's hoping for an FB Ivory upgrade! ^
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
it is more easy to reach a diamonds level with Delta, than a Platinum with AF/KLM ...
I will transfert to Skymiles for 2017...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:50 am

Hi -

Maybe, provided you spend enough $$.

The RDM earnings still stink on DL though.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
it is more easy to reach a diamonds level with Delta, than a Platinum with AF/KLM ...
Can you give more details ? This may be true for some flying patterns but not all.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Indeed kind of curious how it should be easier.
At least regarding the $ element, I think KLM/AF should be cheaper:
60 flights : 15 times 4-Segment runs 140€ each = 2100€ (w/o any sales/coupons).
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Mirk
Can you give more details ? This may be true for some flying patterns but not all.
The only less "easy" side, is the $ you must expense for each levels. But this apply ONLY if you have an USA address.
This did not apply to me (I am Canadian...)
It is more easy because with Flying Blue, to calculate your level miles they use only the % of your class of ticket. With Delta is minimum the % of the distance.

Example (for a flight YUL-CDG) (Montreal-Paris):
Real distance 3432 miles (one way).

Flying Blue is 25% of the distance(For most economy ticket):
Give you 858 miles for your level miles AND award miles.

Skymiles is 100% (3432) for the level miles, and 25% (858) for the award miles (if is AF ticket).

Even if is base on the $/expense (Delta flight) to calculate the award miles, the level miles is still base on the distance.

If you flights in Economy a lots (at 25%for FB, but 100% with SM):

You need 125,000 miles total travel distance for a diamonds with Skymiles.

The same "total travel distance" in Flying Blue give you 31500 miles.
is not even a gold (in Flying blue...).

Last edited by FBplatinum; Nov 23, 2016 at 5:43 am
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The same "total travel distance" in Flying Blue give you 31500 miles.
is not even a gold (in Flying blue...).
But you are ignoring the fact that, in Flying Blue, you get Platinum automatically after 60 individual sectors [and you get Gold automatically after 30 individual sectors] - with only sectors that earn level miles being counted.

And, as the previous poster pointed out, this can be achieved after 15 simple, short, 4-sector returns (eg AMS-CDG-LHR and back) which can be had for around €140 each

15 times 4-Segment runs 140€ each = 2100€

In this example (the shortest possible flights, i.e. each below 750 miles, and earning only the absolute minimum possible, of 187 level miles, per sector) FB allows you to claim Platinum after accruing only 11,220 Level Miles. (60 * 187 level miles = 11,220 Level miles)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:58 am

Right back to travel patterns then. If you don't do a lot of segments, you need J or F in FB to qualify for high status with only a few intercontinental flights. With skymiles you could more realistically achieve high status with not-as-frequent economy intercontinental flights.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:29 pm

All cards from airline are similar for the # of segment.

With many of them you can reach a status with the # of segments, yes.

But the big difference between FB and SM are in the possibility to be Platinum or Diamond with the distance flight.

If you travel in Y, is very hard (almost impossible) to reach a platinum level with FB.
This can be done not very hard by distance for a FF how do some long flight.

I need 4 round trips to Shanghai/Guangzhou (From Montreal, with a stop in CDG) in Y to reach a Platinum with SM, and 6 to have a Diamond, the same in FB will NOT give me a Silver with FB with 4, or even a Gold with 6.

This is why I move to SM in 2017.

Have you see the "benefits" with SM ?
Check this: https://www.delta.com/choicebenefits/

FB are not even close to this..............

Just the "deal" between AF/KLM and Delta are a joke (in favor of Delta), I think AF/KLM must kick out their negotiator to have made a so "poor" deal.

If you go by segments, you can have a SM account and do your segment with AF/KLM.
With both of them you will reach Platinum (I agree, with FB you need 60 segments, and 75 with SM. BUT !!! you must compare the additional benefit you have with SM, FB did not offer ANY advantage similar...). And with SM if you flight more, you can have a Diamond level, and nothing is like this in FB...

Last edited by FBplatinum; Nov 23, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
All cards from airline are similar for the # of segment.

With many of them you can reach a status with the # of segments, yes.

But the big difference between FB and SM are in the possibility to be Platinum or Diamond with the distance flight.

If you travel in Y, is very hard (almost impossible) to reach a platinum level with FB.
This can be done not very hard by distance for a FF how do some long flight.

I need 4 round trips to Shanghai/Guangzhou (From Montreal, with a stop in CDG) in Y to reach a Platinum with SM, and 6 to have a Diamond, the same in FB will NOT give me a Silver with FB with 4, or even a Gold with 6.

This is why I move to SM in 2017.

Have you see the "benefits" with SM ?
Check this: https://www.delta.com/choicebenefits/

FB are not even close to this..............

Just the "deal" between AF/KLM and Delta are a joke (in favor of Delta), I think AF/KLM must kick out their negotiator to have made a so "poor" deal.

If you go by segments, you can have a SM account and do your segment with AF/KLM.
With both of them you will reach Platinum (I agree, with FB you need 60 segments, and 75 with SM. BUT !!! you must compare the additional benefit you have with SM, FB did not offer ANY advantage similar...). And with SM if you flight more, you can have a Diamond level, and nothing is like this in FB...

I agree with you. It does makes more sense to switch to SM when flying mostly long flights.
Although, when based in Europe and if more than half of the flights are on AF/KL there might be some drawbacks. For example in VIP customer support lines, free op-up where they will favour their own FF etc.

It's just a matter of finding what suits you, your needs and your flying pattern. It's a free world after all !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.