Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping a train segment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Skipping a train segment

Will AF find out if you skip a CDG-Brussels train segment coded as an AF segment?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Will AF find out if you skip a CDG-Brussels train segment coded as an AF segment?
Not if you pick up your train coupon at the AF counter in the CDG train station and pretend you are taking the train.
anniegray likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Sep 14, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:03 am

The other way around they do ask for a stamped train ticket at check-in. But in this case - I presume it is the last segment of your trip- there's no purpose and also no way for them to check whether you actually took that train or not.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by t0t1t2
(...)a stamped train ticket at check-in.(...)t.
Hmmm

What's that? Never heard of nor experienced it.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Hmmm

What's that? Never heard of nor experienced it.
Or maybe I am confusing it with the procedure for Antwerp-ams
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
They haven't asked me for this and I doubt there train and airline systems are syncing so they can tell if the passenger reached the end point of the journey.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
Or maybe I am confusing it with the procedure for Antwerp-ams
It is likely.

We are talking here of the last leg (CDG/ZYR) of a ticket, so the OP would not see check-in again after picking up his train ticket at AF counter.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Are we sure that it is the last leg?

The OP never stated that - and I would assume that, having asked the question, the worry was that the further/return segments may have been cancelled for doing this.
anniegray likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are we sure that it is the last leg?

The OP never stated that - and I would assume that, having asked the question, the worry was that the further/return segments may have been cancelled for doing this.
You are correct, it could be a XXX/CDG/ZYR and back ticket.

However, the return ZYR/CDG could happen days after the CDG/ZYR and AF could not expect a passenger to hold on such proof for days, threatening to cancel his ticket if he does not show a stamped thing.

Anyhow, AF does not care about the CDG/ZYR segment. What they want is to make sure the PAX would fly back from ZYR, so as to maximize nuisance because of the lower fares to/from ZYR. In the case of a XXX/CDG/ZYR and back, the control takes place in ZYR where if you do not show up to pick up your ZYR/CDG ticket, the CDG/XXX is cancelled.

Anyhow, I stand by my statement which is that there is no further control after the train ticket has been picked up from the AF counter or from TGV Air counter in case of TGV Air (unless things have changed recently).
anniegray likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:32 am

In line with Irishguy28's remark, it may be worth you tell us what your itinerary is.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by carnarvon
You are correct, it could be a XXX/CDG/ZYR and back ticket.

However, the return ZYR/CDG could happen days after the CDG/ZYR and AF could not expect a passenger to hold on such proof for days, threatening to cancel his ticket if he does not show a stamped thing.

Anyhow, AF does not care about the CDG/ZYR segment. What they want is to make sure the PAX would fly back from ZYR, so as to maximize nuisance because of the lower fares to/from ZYR. In the case of a XXX/CDG/ZYR and back, the control takes place in ZYR where if you do not show up to pick up your ZYR/CDG ticket, the CDG/XXX is cancelled.

Anyhow, I stand by my statement which is that there is no further control after the train ticket has been picked up from the AF counter or from TGV Air counter in case of TGV Air (unless things have changed recently).
Having taken TGV Air recently from CDG to my destination in France I can confirm that tickets were picked up from the counter and the not checked afterwards. If they are checked then it will be by SNCF staff and not AF staff.

The number of times I've taken then the TGV lately and no one checks the tickets is remarkable.

In addition, the actual tickets don't have your name on. I asked to be seated downstairs as I had a lot of luggage so they just swapped my ticket with another one!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
The itinerary is LHR-CDG-ZYR. It would be the return leg, CDG-ZYR that would not be used.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That looks like a one-way ticket. There is no return.

Why would you buy a one-way in this manner (is it that you now need to stay in Paris rather than go to Brussels? Doing this can hardly have saved you money) or did you mean you are doing the same in return (and if so, which train segment are you dropping - or are you dropping both?)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:49 pm

The itinerary is LHR-CDG-ZYR. It would be the return leg, CDG-ZYR that would not be used.
You can skip that leg without issue (do pick up the ticket though), but I too wonder why you would've booked that itin.

I have an itin ZWE (Antwerp)-AMS-JFK-BOS in C on the books myself where that extra train ride saved me just over €2000 but I can't see it quite having the same effect within Europe…
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:51 am

Sorry, I am confused.

Is your itinerary LON CDG ZYR CDG LON or ZYR CDG LON CDG ZYR?

If the latter, skipping CDG ZYR has no consequences . You can get the train coupon frommAF if you want the miles and segment though.

If the former, then you MUST get your train ticket CDG ZYR at the AF counter, otherwise the rest of your itinerary ZYR CDG LON will be voided by AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.