Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping a train segment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Hi,

I've read this thread and also the Air France "Air & Rail" page but am still a bit confused. I am considering traveling in a party of three from SFO-CDG in Business on award tickets with Paris as our final destination. If I add an onward train connection however to, for example, Tours or Reims, the price in miles is quite a bit lower, especially for three passengers total. We would travel with carry on bags only, so in all likelihood there would not be a problem to simply leave the airport at CDG with our hand carried bags, as I understand it.

However, in the case we are somehow required to gate check our bags, can I confirm that any checked baggage would be claimed at the baggage carousel at CDG? In other words, must baggage be claimed at CDG in any case when there is a train connection, or is there an arrangement with SNCF to automatically transfer bags to a train to, in my example, Tours or Reims? To restate, my goal is to leave CDG with our bags.

Many thanks
1) Air and Rail is only to/from Brussels and Strasbourg. Other destinations are under the TGV Air scheme.

2) if your hand luggage is gate checked, you will have to retrieve them in CDG as normal luggage.

2) in case of a return ticket, don't forget to go to the train station to retrieve your TGV Air ticket from TGV Air SNCF counter (don't leave CDG straight after having gone through immigration and customs as you say you are planing to do)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by NickB
Thanks for the clarification, as both Air France and the SNCF say the opposite on their respective websites.
Pleasure.

I forgot to mention that in some cases, the ATB train ticket is manually stamped with a wording like "billet composté" or something like this. Next time, I will have a closer look and report.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
1) Air and Rail is only to/from Brussels and Strasbourg. Other destinations are under the TGV Air scheme.

2) if your hand luggage is gate checked, you will have to retrieve them in CDG as normal luggage.

2) in case of a return ticket, don't forget to go to the train station to retrieve your TGV Air ticket from TGV Air SNCF counter (don't leave CDG straight after having gone through immigration and customs as you say you are planing to do)

Thank you! This would be a one way, so apparently no need to retrieve TGV Air ticket. I did find this on the SNCF website:

If your flight is the first leg of your journey, you must collect your luggage at the airport before you check in at the TGV Air window at Charles de Gaulle airport or at the Massy TGV station (for Orly).

So further confirmation that even if we had to gate check hand bags, we would pick them up at CDG in any case.

thanks
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:02 am

You should go and pick up your train ticket because otherwise AF might audit your ticket and find that it should be repriced as a ticket to CDG only, and charge you for the difference.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by af fp
You should go and pick up your train ticket because otherwise AF might audit your ticket and find that it should be repriced as a ticket to CDG only, and charge you for the difference.
This has been discussed at length here. Neither AF nor KL reprice tickets when a segment is unused.

Erring on the side of extreme caution, you can of of course go and pick up the train ticket if you have time.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by af fp
Also for the sake of miles.

Originally Posted by carnarvon
This has been discussed at length here. Neither AF nor KL reprice tickets when a segment is unused.
True. Until they do...
Not a question of if but when, specially if more and more people are dumping last train segments.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
True. Until they do... Not a question of if but when, specially if more and more people are dumping last train segments.
I have been told this for 10 to 20 years.

If they sue, they lose.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:49 pm

Another question regarding this topic. For background, I am currently booked on ORD-CDG-ZYR, returning ZYR-CDG-ORD.

Are there any online check-in options for the ZYR-CDG train? Or must I check-in in person at the AF desk at ZYR in order to receive my train ticket? I ask because if I can check-in online, would that be a way to skip the ZYR-CDG train? I only have carry-on luggage and would prefer to go to Paris a day early due to my ZYR-CDG train being very early in the morning. But I don't want my CDG-ORD leg cancelled.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by gwheary
Another question regarding this topic. For background, I am currently booked on ORD-CDG-ZYR, returning ZYR-CDG-ORD.

Are there any online check-in options for the ZYR-CDG train? Or must I check-in in person at the AF desk at ZYR in order to receive my train ticket? I ask because if I can check-in online, would that be a way to skip the ZYR-CDG train? I only have carry-on luggage and would prefer to go to Paris a day early due to my ZYR-CDG train being very early in the morning. But I don't want my CDG-ORD leg cancelled.
If it's TGV Air then in all cases, as far as I know, you have to pick up your tickets at your departure station.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Any recent experiences with ZWE-AMS XP and miles being posted? I've traveled Antwerp-Amsterdam by Thalys as part of my 074 ticket with a connecting flight, but no miles or XPs have been posted. For Brussels-Amsterdam never an issue.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:13 am

I have the following booking and want to skip the second leg of trip which is thalys ,does collecting the ticket at AMS suffice, considering I will flying out of Brussels on my return which are all flights.

AUH--> AMS--> ZWE
BRU-->AMS-->AUH

How particular are KLM seeing the stamped ticket of thalys for my return. I see mixed reviews in the forum, has things changed after the court ruling in belgium as I am flying out of brussels. I need to decide on this so help appreciated with someone who has done this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
No need to double post.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:40 am

Ok apologies for that was hoping for a definitive response
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:59 am

Any luck on my querry.

Last edited by msidd; Nov 26, 2019 at 5:00 am Reason: duplicate
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
A definitive response is something KLM's general conditions can offer you. All FT members can offer you is their experience, and since your itinerary seems to be a bit different from what most people here do (ZYR/ZWE->AMS/CDG->XXX and vice versa)., please give it a try and keep us posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.