Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping a train segment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Thanks - this is the firm statement that I just had't seen anywhere.
I actually also googled and see a picture of it now. I've never noticed it in Midi, but never been looking for it.

Originally Posted by lynxy
Yes there is an AF/KLM counter at Brussels Midi station. Depending on the time of the day, they will potentially take your checked luggage there, and you will never see it again before your end destination, or you may have to re-check it yourself in Paris. However, in any case, you need to check-in there, and they will give you a boarding pass that you can use on the TGV (yes, a boarding pass).
Ha! I didn't mean WHY they enforce it - it wasn't well phrased - I meant why people were saying that they were enforcing it. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by newflyer27
if you look at post #35 , OP says that last month he did the opposite itinerary and he got train ticket when checking in (in CDG), don't know about the AF counter in MIDI station, i let someone with experience comment on it, but OP in same post also says you must go to Midi station to get your train ticket.

for the WHY question, my guess is that it is normal that they enforce it a little bit, don't you think? otherwise, eveyone will buy tickets oringinating ZYR when cheaper and start from CDG.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:41 am

But here's another idea, just in case it's useful to anyone:

Given the 24 hour rule, you an actually do a separate one-way up to BXL-Midi on the train, then come back the same day on the first leg of a ZYR-CDG-XXX, sleep in PAR and then wake up and catch a long-haul flight in the morning (or afternoon) the next day.

It's a little crazy (For me as a DL flyer I don't even get any miles for the train leg - not sure about FB members) but I have a bunch of work that I can just as easily do in a train seat as I can at my desk.

I've done this a couple of times from small US cities to take advantage of "Double Miles for flights from XXX" Promotions - to double up miles from the long haul portions of those flights.

In this case, even taking into account the cost of the Thalys ticket, it can save me 500+E for the round trip - plus apply the suggestions above and you can end up in Paris on the return flight.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I actually also googled and see a picture of it now. I've never noticed it in Midi, but never been looking for it..
I'm not surprised that you never saw it: even when you are looking for it, it is very hard to find (anything is hard to find in this train station...).
remyontheroad and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
But here's another idea, just in case it's useful to anyone:

Given the 24 hour rule, you an actually do a separate one-way up to BXL-Midi on the train, then come back the same day on the first leg of a ZYR-CDG-XXX, sleep in PAR and then wake up and catch a long-haul flight in the morning (or afternoon) the next day.

It's a little crazy (For me as a DL flyer I don't even get any miles for the train leg - not sure about FB members) but I have a bunch of work that I can just as easily do in a train seat as I can at my desk.

I've done this a couple of times from small US cities to take advantage of "Double Miles for flights from XXX" Promotions - to double up miles from the long haul portions of those flights.

In this case, even taking into account the cost of the Thalys ticket, it can save me 500+E for the round trip - plus apply the suggestions above and you can end up in Paris on the return flight.
have you been able to find a ticket with a 24h layover between the train leg and flight? not sure it is possible.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:08 pm

Absolutely.

On AF.com...or maybe it was AF.be
Have NOT found an alternative though - Wanted an OTA that would give me 24 hours to cancel and couldn't find any that would see ZYR as a valid leg (although ITA gets it.)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:57 pm

I did a "half skip" of the train leg today as I mentioned in an earlier post: I did JFK/CDG with a train ticket on to ZYR. Boarded the train but got off in Lille, which is the last station in France.
Side note, I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I found it quite confusing at CDG that there is one specific check in area JUST for Brussels and Strasbourg connections (named AIR&RAIL) while for all other destinations (named TGV Air), it's on the other side of the train hall.
The AIR&RAIL people were very nice and since I had 2 hours to kill before my train, and since I am AF Gold, they immediately and proactively suggested that I go to the arrival lounge at 2C (I'm still baffled by how little to no signage there is to find that lounge, btw).

Also weirdly enough, my XP and miles showed up in my FB account for the train segment immediately after my trip, but nothing for the plane segment.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Klems
(...) Side note, I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I found it quite confusing at CDG that there is one specific check in area JUST for Brussels and Strasbourg connections (named AIR&RAIL) while for all other destinations (named TGV Air), it's on the other side of the train hall. (...)
The reason is that AF used to fly to both BRU and STX. When they replaced the air service with a train one, they kept the AF counters. CDG/ZYR used to be a Thalys train and was then replaced with a TGV. At the time, there were talks of AF thinking of operating TGV themselves when SNCF monopoly falls.

Other TGV Air destinations are the result of a cooperation between SNCF and the airline (s).

It would certainly make sense to include ZYR and XER in the TGV AIr scheme, but internal resistance at AF must prevent it from happening.
Klems likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carnarvon
The reason is that AF used to fly to both BRU and STX.
I don't think that AF ever flew to STX (and I think that a TGV service to STX may not be on the cards in this millennium or the next few ... ). OTOH, they certainly used to fly to SXB....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by NickB
I don't think that AF ever flew to STX (and I think that a TGV service to STX may not be on the cards in this millennium or the next few ... ). OTOH, they certainly used to fly to SXB....

Well spotted.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Slightly different question to the ones asked numerous times above, so thought it may be worth asking.
Trying to use FB miles to book Reims-CDG-LAX. As of now, I can only book the 7:20am flight which is a) early and b) leaves me 5.5 hours at CDG (and I am not flying P). My wife and I would not have bags, just carry-on.
1) If we checked-in and took the train tickets for reims - CDG but then actually traveled on a later train that we paid for on our own, would AF know and cancel our flight?
2) Has anyone tried changing just the train segment of an award itinerary?

I find it weird that on the date I want in February they have later trains available for travel to east coast flights, but not to LAX or SFO. I even looked at the schedule if I were to pay for the ticket and they are not selling them at all.

Also, the reason I am not just booking CDG-LAX is because the direct is 120k miles, including a train segment makes it 57.5k miles

Last edited by uclabruin82; Oct 19, 2018 at 8:07 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Slightly different question to the ones asked numerous times above, so thought it may be worth asking.
Trying to use FB miles to book Reims-CDG-LAX. As of now, I can only book the 7:20am flight which is a) early and b) leaves me 5.5 hours at CDG (and I am not flying P). My wife and I would not have bags, just carry-on.
1) If we checked-in and took the train tickets for reims - CDG but then actually traveled on a later train that we paid for on our own, would AF know and cancel our flight?
2) Has anyone tried changing just the train segment of an award itinerary?

I find it weird that on the date I want in February they have later trains available for travel to east coast flights, but not to LAX or SFO. I even looked at the schedule if I were to pay for the ticket and they are not selling them at all.

Also, the reason I am not just booking CDG-LAX is because the direct is 120k miles, including a train segment makes it 57.5k miles
How would they know? I know when I get the TGV Air they have a printed off list at the station. They just highlight my name to say the tickets have been picked up.

It seems rare these days that I ever see the ticket inspectors on the TGV yet I still get my points
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:34 am

I guess they would know based on one of the original posts that mentioned that you AF checks for a stamped train ticket when you get to CDG to board the flight. Is this no longer the case?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess they would know based on one of the original posts that mentioned that you AF checks for a stamped train ticket when you get to CDG to board the flight. Is this no longer the case?
Even if it were the case, and assuming that stamped in this context means what is referred to as 'composté' in French railways parlance, why not get it stamped when picking it up from the station?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
In all the times I have taken the TGV Air not once has anyone asked to see my rail ticket.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:23 pm

Thanks NickB and TographerE.
To answer your questions, I am going to go ahead and book the flight with the early train from Champagne and just take the later train on our own. To answer your question NickB, I did not realize that I could get it "composte" when we picked it up, I thought they did it on the train. If I can get it done when we pick it up the night before, that is even better. TographerE, hopefully the same holds true for us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.