FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Special meals and Upgrade offer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1754160-special-meals-upgrade-offer.html)

jfs5 Mar 20, 2016 4:48 am

Special meals and Upgrade offer

First time long-haul flyer on AF.

Travelling next week in PE CDG-LIM and I am hoping to receive the cash upgrade offer to J before I check in.

I am also tempted to pay for one of the meals on the "A la carte menu" that are offered to PE passengers.

My question is if I book one of these meals, will that mean I will likely NOT be offered the PE-J cash upgrade?

SDQBound Mar 20, 2016 6:28 am

From previous threads the consensus has been that you would not receive a special upgrade offer if you request a special or paid meal option. I remember reading an AF document about it as well, but now I cannot find it.

Goldorak Mar 20, 2016 6:38 am

In any case, do not have too much hopes for a paid upgrade to LIM. Indeed, it is served by a COI-configured aircraft with only 14 J seats, so not a lot of opportunities for upgrades.

jfs5 Mar 20, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 26358637)
In any case, do not have too much hopes for a paid upgrade to LIM. Indeed, it is served by a COI-configured aircraft with only 14 J seats, so not a lot of opportunities for upgrades.

This flight has 42 J seats. Showing J9 on flyer talk.

chil Mar 20, 2016 6:42 pm

I used to order special meals on long-haul flights. Then I noticed that I was never offered a complimentary neither paid upgrade (given my Platinum level). I asked an Air France agent about it and the answer was clear: if you order a special meal, you will not be considered for an upgrade offer, because the airline will have to do something with your meal -- but why bother if there are dozens/hundreds other passengers?

KLouis Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by chil (Post 26361538)
... if you order a special meal, you will not be considered for an upgrade offer, because the airline will have to do something with your meal -- but why bother if there are dozens/hundreds other passengers?

:confused: Simply, because among the dozens/hundreds other passengers there may be nobody who wants the special meal... Moreover, even if there were one or two, how would they find him/her? Making an announcement?

chil Mar 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 26361936)
:confused: Simply, because among the dozens/hundreds other passengers there may be nobody who wants the special meal... Moreover, even if there were one or two, how would they find him/her? Making an announcement?

I meant "why bother with you if there are dozens of others who can be offered an upgrade"

Goldorak Mar 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jfs5 (Post 26359169)
This flight has 42 J seats

I didn't know they "upgraded" this flight to a non-COI aircraft. Good to know and thank you for the information.