Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Upgrades changed for Flying Blue??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
Delta Upgrades changed for Flying Blue??

Hello guys

All of last year 2015. When i was entering my flying blue platinum number on a delta booking it would show (flying blue platinum/diamond medallion) throwing me up to the top of the upgrade list. Hitting a good 95% upgrade ratio.

First booking this year. I don't see diamond medallion (or flying blue platinum either....) just upgrade requested. And i end up being #13 and #18!! last one of the list.

What the hell is going on? Have they changed something here?

Please let me know your experience as it's a huge value killer if we end up being after gold and silver medallions.....

Thanks

M
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Haven't things been like this for a while now? For longer than just since 2015?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
All SkyTeam elite levels always followed DL elites on the upgrade list. Even lowly DL Silvers had higher priority than SkyTeam Platinums.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Micus, I have to say I'm a bit surprised by your post. This has been like that for many years (since NW merger). You say, entering your FB plat in the booking put you at the top of the upgrade list : you might be at the top of the list but for 5 min only. Indeed, FB plat comes after all DL Elites and Elites Plus, so overall very low chances. I don't know how you have achieved 95% upgrade rate. This is likely the record. On this forum, FB plats reported only a bunch of very rare upgrades since the merging with NW (at the time of NW, FB plats were indeed at the top of the list).
And things will change again from May. You should check in the DL forum and there is also a thread in the KL forum.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
Hey,

i have to agree with what you all said, BUT a few details.

Post NWA/DL merger we had lost complimentary upgrades in their systems. We were NOT even showing up in the upgrade list anymore.

Sometimes during 2014, something changed within DL systems, and when entering my frequent flier number in my booking on delta.com it was showing "Flying Blue Platinum/Diamond Medallion". And below it was written "Diamond Medallion upgrade requested".

Since 2016, something has changed on their website, and i don't have this mention of my FB plat nor Diamond medallion status anymore... nor am i seeing this Diamond Medallion upgrade requested.

Finally, for clarity i want to highlight i've NEVER been a Delta FF member, nor have collected a single miles on a Delta (or ex NWA) FF program.

This can not be put on luck, i've been upgraded maybe 15 times last year, always #1 on the upgrade list... today last one.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, DL SM
This is quite strange. In my experience FB status puts you after the DL Medallions regardless of FB level. Maybe you were flying off-peak flights with only DL staff/non-DL elites on the list? I have had my fair share of upgrades on DL the last couple of years as well, but never among heavy Medallion competition. Generally, if the number of pax on the upgrade list exceeds the number of seats in F, your chances are close to zero, whether FB Silver or Plat.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
How do you request to be on the compl. upgrade list now that there is no more option on the website anyway? Or does it only give us the option when checking in?
Is it possible to change the frequent flyer number after being upgraded/checked in? Trying to reach new status in a different programme.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mith
How do you request to be on the compl. upgrade list now that there is no more option on the website anyway? Or does it only give us the option when checking in?
Is it possible to change the frequent flyer number after being upgraded/checked in? Trying to reach new status in a different programme.
There is an option (or at least was there a week or so ago), just open your reservation on Delta web-site and next to domestic segments there should be a link "Manage Upgrades". Goes without saying, you need to attach your FFP # so that it recognizes you as FB Gold/Platinum
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mith
Normally, once you have been ticketed with your existing FFP and put on the upgrade list, it is not possible to change the FFP number without calling Delta reservations. Only they have the ability to delete the FFP number from the system and re-enter a new one. A possible workaround which I have not tested is unchecking all of the upgrade requests and then trying to delete the FFP number.

Once have you an upgrade cleared or once you have checked in it might not be possible anymore. But DL reservations are most likely to know the answer to that as well, best call them directly.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:01 pm

Is anyone aware of the outcome of Comfort+ changes on DL for FB Elite+ post May 15th? It appears no longer possible to pick a Comfort+ seat on DL flights post-May 15th and while for DL Elites there is supposed to be some kind of upgrade queue, the upgrade request is not showing up on my reservation. Does this mean no C+ seats for FB E+? Or does it clear at check in?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gabriel2
Is anyone aware of the outcome of Comfort+ changes on DL for FB Elite+ post May 15th? It appears no longer possible to pick a Comfort+ seat on DL flights post-May 15th and while for DL Elites there is supposed to be some kind of upgrade queue, the upgrade request is not showing up on my reservation. Does this mean no C+ seats for FB E+? Or does it clear at check in?
Note that the May 16th changes only apply to domestic flights except for changes to the number of companions that an elite can bring into C+ for free.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that the May 16th changes only apply to domestic flights except for changes to the number of companions that an elite can bring into C+ for free.
OK but either way we should be able to pick the C+ seats directly or be put on an upgrade list, right? On my current reservation neither came up, while it has been working fine right up to everything departing before May 16th.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just reading through this, last year when I booked as FB Gold on Delta, it actually showed "Gold Medallion" in the booking. This year, booking as FB Platinum, I'm not seeing anything like that in the booking. Flying in J tho, so it doesn't matter.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying AUS-MSP-AMS in mid June and for AUS-MSP it still shows as "Upgrade requested", I'm FB plat. Upgrading to Comfort+ for MSP-AMS costs 109 EUR.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:34 pm

OK looks like the rules changed, I missed that earlier. FB website:
Delta Comfort+ on Delta Air Lines flights: Comfort+ seat free of charge on day of departure. Available on domestic US and Canada flights. No discounts available outside this time frame. Seat requests can be made via My Trips on delta.com or at the Delta check-in desk. On the day of departure, all Delta Comfort+ seats will be assigned to eligible Flying Blue members according to availability. Paid or free Delta Comfort+ seats cannot be reserved on a Basic Economy (E) fare ticket, regardless of Flying Blue Elite status. This is valid for flights from 16 May 2016 onward.

That puts all FB Elites in the same category which corresponds to what FB Silver used to be. Good reason to fly KL across the Atlantic instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.