Wiki Posts
Search

New credit card surcharge on KLM/AF bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold

Just received an email from BlueBiz - KLM and Air France are now changing the surcharge for CC payments for business related bookings. From January 28 the surcharge will be 1.75% instead of a fixed fee. There is a maximum surcharge of EUR20.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you still book on intra-EU tickets on delta.com for 0% surcharge?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Can you still book on intra-EU tickets on delta.com for 0% surcharge?
You can't buy intra-EU flights through DL at all.

G
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond

Yes, you can - as long as 1) DL offers you the routing - sometimes it does and then sometimes the same trip is not available; 2) you do not pay with a card based in Holland and some Nordic countries
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
And one can still buy tickets without a credit card surcharge on the French AF website.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:50 am

What about PayPal?

G
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
What about PayPal?

G
You can use PayPal as long as you do not want to pay with your Amex card ... The official excuse is that Amex does not allow it
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ajs123
Yes, you can - as long as 1) DL offers you the routing - sometimes it does and then sometimes the same trip is not available; 2) you do not pay with a card based in Holland and some Nordic countries
Interesting as I've been trying on a few occasions recently but the itinerary could not be found (I was able to in the past, though, specially on those flights such as WAW-BHX via AMS with the DL code-share)...

G
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
You can't buy intra-EU flights through DL at all.

G
Sad face

When I was a loyal AF/KL flyer a few years back I bought every itinerary through DL. Was always available at the same price.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dutchbird
Just received an email from BlueBiz - KLM and Air France are now changing the surcharge for CC payments for business related bookings. From January 28 the surcharge will be 1.75% instead of a fixed fee. There is a maximum surcharge of EUR20.
Can you say what country you are talking about as cc surcharge varies by market?!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dutchbird
Just received an email from BlueBiz - KLM and Air France are now changing the surcharge for CC payments for business related bookings
It means all non-physical customers or only companies which are members of bluebiz ??

Last edited by fifty_two; Jan 13, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:43 pm

Bit off topic, normally I book via Amex travel portal as no card fees are involved and the prices are the same. Most recently when I was booking an intra-EU flight with KL the same ticket (routing and fare class) was 10 euros more expensive and it actually made sense to book via KL and pay 7,5 for using amex ... Found it really weird
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ajs123
Bit off topic, normally I book via Amex travel portal as no card fees are involved and the prices are the same. Most recently when I was booking an intra-EU flight with KL the same ticket (routing and fare class) was 10 euros more expensive and it actually made sense to book via KL and pay 7,5 for using amex ... Found it really weird
Indeed - and you even get 2XMR points (at least with a card issued in the UK).

G
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two
It means all non-physical customers or only companies which are members of bluebiz ??
As I understand it, it applies to everyone. It's just that the e-mail for some reason was sent to bluebiz-members.

I actually don't think this is that terrible a change for once, because there seems to be no minimum so on cheaper tickets (i.e., the €99 fares within europe) the surcharge is now under €2 and the charge applies to the entire booking instead of being per ticket. So for many people it should actually be cheaper this way.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
And one can still buy tickets without a credit card surcharge on the French AF website.
The email states that the fees will (as of 28 Jan 2016) change for KL and AF.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Can you say what country you are talking about as cc surcharge varies by market?!
This email was sent to NL companies, the fee change of 1.75% and max €20 is specifically for NL according to the email. However they also mention that the change is to comply with European regulations. Of cause it does not mean that the fee is the same in all EU counties, but it does make it sound strange.

Wondering is the French AF website or others will change as well... They are not open about the change on their website so I expect the other EU websites won’t mention anything IF they change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.