Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam -> Recife -> Rio -> AMS on Flying Blue Points?

Amsterdam -> Recife -> Rio -> AMS on Flying Blue Points?

Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Smile Amsterdam -> Recife -> Rio -> AMS on Flying Blue Points?

Hi-
Preface: if I'm not allowed to ask this question here, feel free to yell at me/delete it/etc.

Husband and I each have 100k+ AMEX points we got from the Platinum Card sign up. We're planning a trip from Amsterdam down to Brazil for next year (Dec 2016, so it's still pretty early) and are considering transferring our amex points to KLM (Flying Blue) and using them for the flight.

A couple questions:
1) We live in Amsterdam and we frequently travel to DC (IAD) to visit family/friends, but we almost exclusively fly United for that (and in general). United is not an AMEX partner, or we would transfer our miles there and use them for all our various travels. If there is a better use of these 200k points as far as facilitating flights between AMS and IAD, I'd be interested in that.

2) I see Recife is a destination that KLM flies to (or maybe more accurately, their partners fly to?), but for some reason when I'm searching in the awards booking tool it doesn't show up. It does show up, however, when I look to book normal travel. Any thoughts?

3) Any idea how many miles it will take to to AMS -> Recife -> Rio -> AMS?

Thanks in advance for your help/sorry in advance for breaking any etiquette rules!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Originally Posted by expatinAMS
Hi-
Preface: if I'm not allowed to ask this question here, feel free to yell at me/delete it/etc.

Husband and I each have 100k+ AMEX points we got from the Platinum Card sign up. We're planning a trip from Amsterdam down to Brazil for next year (Dec 2016, so it's still pretty early) and are considering transferring our amex points to KLM (Flying Blue) and using them for the flight.

A couple questions:
1) We live in Amsterdam and we frequently travel to DC (IAD) to visit family/friends, but we almost exclusively fly United for that (and in general). United is not an AMEX partner, or we would transfer our miles there and use them for all our various travels. If there is a better use of these 200k points as far as facilitating flights between AMS and IAD, I'd be interested in that.

2) I see Recife is a destination that KLM flies to (or maybe more accurately, their partners fly to?), but for some reason when I'm searching in the awards booking tool it doesn't show up. It does show up, however, when I look to book normal travel. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help/sorry in advance for breaking any etiquette rules!

Isn't it a bit too early to find award flights for December 2016?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Recife is part of GOL's network which is indeed eligible for award tickets but indeed not available on the website.
You therefore need to call FB service.
As for the price, it will probably be around 80K RT in Eco and 200K RT in Biz, with 200 taxes in Eco and 350 in Biz.
All this sounds like extremely bad value (especially at 3:2 conversion rate).
Off the top of my head, I would probably explore the KrisFlyer 1:1 and redeem on TAP 80K eco or 156K biz. Sounds like much better value

Originally Posted by expatinAMS
Hi-

A couple questions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.