Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade on Air France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, AA Platinum
Upgrade on Air France

I was wondering if anyone has had any success in upgrading a paid economy ticket to business on Air France.

I called Air France to book a paid economy ticket with a fare class of: Y, B, M, U, K, H, L or Q for a flight IAD to CDG.

The agent said that on Air France you cannot book from economy to business. You can only upgrade to premium economy. Does that sound right to you all?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From the T&Cs:

Originally Posted by Flying Blue
3.9 A Member can request an Award Upgrade for an eligible flight on an airline offering this Award as defined in FB Communication subject to the condition that the Member has a confirmed (not waitlisted) and issued full-fare ticket. A Member can redeem Award Miles for only one Award Upgrade per flight. It is thus impossible to have a double Award Upgrade from Economy to First Class.
On Air France, when there is a Premium Economy cabin, this means from Economy you upgrade to Premium Economy rather than to Business; the number of miles required is less than the number of miles required to upgrade from Economy to Business (in cases where there is no intermediate premium economy cabin):

https://www.flyingblue.com/long-haul...onghaul14.html

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 6, 2015 at 2:42 am
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
From the T&Cs:

On Air France, when there is a Premium Economy cabin, this means from Economy you upgrade to Premium Economy rather than to Business; the number of miles required is less than the number of miles required to upgrade from Economy to Business (in cases where there is no intermediate premium economy cabin):

Thanks irishguy for the quick response. I read the same thing on AF's website so that is why I was so surprised that their agent said AF does not allow any upgrades from economy to business IAD to CDG. It doesn't matter what fare class was bought or how many miles a person has.

Oh well I guess it is UA for me.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by irishguy28

I cannot find this info on the page you are pointing at.

The table I see gives the number of miles required from economy to premium as well as from economy to biz.

I do not see the restriction you are mentioning (I had actually never heard of such restriction). Is it new?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by carnarvon
I cannot find this info on the page you are pointing at.

The table I see gives the number of miles required from economy to premium as well as from economy to biz.

I do not see the restriction you are mentioning (I had actually never heard of such restriction). Is it new?
FB allows you to upgrade only to the next available class of service. If you fly with KLM, that always means from Economy to Business, since KLM doesn't offer anything in between. On Air France flights where Premium Economy is sold (as a class in between), you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy (as already stated). In order to upgrade to Business, you would have to purchase a Premium Economy, S or W fare (A = cheapest and doesn't allow for upgrade).

I didn't find out about the rule later, after I already did some upgrades from eco to business. So sometimes the AF agents didn't even know, but there all well trained now I guess (or computer says 'no!' )

Last edited by kevinflyaway; Jun 8, 2015 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
FB allows you to upgrade only to the next available class of service. If you fly with KLM, that always means from Economy to Business, since KLM doesn't offer anything in between. On Air France flights where Premium Economy is sold (as a class in between), you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy (as already stated). In order to upgrade to Business, you would have to purchase a Premium Economy, A or W fare (S = cheapest and doesn't allow for upgrade).

I didn't find out about the rule later, after I already did some upgrades from eco to business. So sometimes the AF agents didn't even know, but there all well trained now I guess (or computer says 'no!' )
Cheapest premium Eco is actually A, not S. FB used to allow upgrades from Eco to business on AF. Shame they've discontinued it.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is really sad that one has to go to FT to get this kind of info. The FB section of AF.com provides so little info.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
That's really odd. I would double-check with Flying Blue (possibly the AF team on social media, they're usually more efficient). I have upgraded from Y class to Business in the not so distant past.

In the quote from FB's T&Cs, they mention first class, rather than business:
A Member can redeem Award Miles for only one Award Upgrade per flight. It is thus impossible to have a double Award Upgrade from Economy to First Class.
You could also try to call again and talk to another agent.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Flying blue web site is extremely confusing about this question :roll eyes:
When you go to the page spend miles/upgrade awards, you 1st have
For example : AF (with AF logo) Paris to Los Angeles : 15,000 miles to upgrade from Economy class (booking class Y) to business class.
So as AF has W on all LAX flights (no 744 on this route for at least 6-7 years), it is clear from this statement that you can upgrade from Y to J. Then below :

Benefit from extra comfort on board your next flight
An upgrade allows you to travel in a higher travel class than the one for which you originally paid. Instead of paying a higher rate, Flying Blue members can enjoy the privileges of a higher travel class by paying for this upgrade with Miles. In this case, it is called an 'upgrade award'.
You can request an upgrade award for the travel class that is directly above the one you originally booked. In other words, you can upgrade from Economy to Business Class, but if you want to travel in First Class, you must have a Business Class ticket.
While this paragraph is perfect for KL case and AF 744-operated flights, it is overall questionnable for AF and especially taking into account the example for LAX given above.
What a mess for such a simple case...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
At least for international, not only do you have to buy the right class of AF economy (generally, one of the higher fares) to upgrade to business with miles, there needs to be upgrade space available (e.g., O). Can't really be done online, have to call in. Though you can check for O on specific flights using expertflyer.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
At least for international, not only do you have to buy the right class of AF economy (generally, one of the higher fares) to upgrade to business with miles, there needs to be upgrade space available (e.g., O). Can't really be done online, have to call in. Though you can check for O on specific flights using expertflyer.
Are you suggesting that you can upgrade with miles on AF longhaul from Y to J? Other posts say you cannot anymore.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brunos
Are you suggesting that you can upgrade with miles on AF longhaul from Y to J? Other posts say you cannot anymore.
You should be able to do this IF the flight doesn't offer a Premium Economy cabin.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should be able to do this IF the flight doesn't offer a Premium Economy cabin.
Do AF longhaul flights w/o PE cabin actually still exist?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

AF offers PE on all its longhaul flights, except a couple of 747s that will be retired in a few months.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I did this last June on an IAD-CDG flight that had PE. The website still says "Also make sure that the flight for which you want to arrange an upgrade award is in one of the following booking classes: Y, B, M, U, K, H, L or Q." also, "For Example Paris to Los Angeles: 15,000 Miles to upgrade from Economy Class (booking class Y) to Business Class."

So, basically only from full fare economy, so not cheap and more than PE. I was looking for upgradeable flights last March and was told there was some O available upgradeable from Y, but only on some KLM and DL flights with connections, so chose to fly UA which had R available at booking. Of course, I haven't found any O since then, so maybe they just stopped offering it. If Y to business upgrades can't be found, I may just top up my FB miles from a CC and use them up on an award ticket. Ever since the strike, there seem to be few AF TATL business fares at competitive prices on my routes and times, so if I cannot upgrade on full fare economy, I may not be flying much AF in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.