Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AZ to end AF/KL partnership from january 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Just last weekend, had a very strange experience since I was on a code share AZ flight but operated by KLM. At the origin airport, they could not issue the KLM operated leg boarding pass - was told that the systems don't talk to each other and told to get the boarding pass @ FCO upon arrival.
Upon arrival @ FCO, at the AZ transit desk, when I tried to get this, I was sent to go to the KLM transit desk - but I went directly to the gate since the flight was already boarding.

For me - this already shows how bad it is already before all this started - as both ST and (post close working partners), they can't issue boarding passes. I am not sure if this is due to the recent changes in the reservation/booking system of AZ.
Furthermore, at the outstation, with my FB number, there was no recognition of the status (not sure if this is due as indicated in the AZ forum - the changes in the AZ booking/passenger control system).

Cheers!
That's not necessarily related to the flaky relationship between the two, those issues happened all the time even before, and even more so since AZ changed their reservation system.
KL always had their own check-in counters at FCO due to this...
It's one of the reasons why should carry your physical card with you when travelling on ST partners.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
My guess is that AF has more to lose as these were feeders to their longhaul.
I am not so sure that AF has more to lose than AZ, because JV flights are not affected (yet?), but also because AZ pax can still book under AF code if they wish and this remains in the Skyteam family. AZ long-haul is still limited and EY connections in AUH are useless if going to the Americas or Japan/Korea. I would tend to think that both AF/KL and AZ will lose something but that AZ has more to lose and it will accelerate the haemorrhage.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Furthermore, at the outstation, with my FB number, there was no recognition of the status (not sure if this is due as indicated in the AZ forum - the changes in the AZ booking/passenger control system).
Was that because, as largely mentioned here, the Sky Priority wording did not appear on the boarding pass?

Edit: probably not the case as this particular issue normally arises with AZ operated flights and FB number on the reservation.

G
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
AZ pax can still book under AF code if they wish and this remains in the Skyteam family.
They can indeed (and, given AZ limited network post-MXP, they've probably been doing so since) but, still, the impact on the number of services from/to the hot-spots (LIN-CDG/AMS) will be significant, meaning that a good slice of traffic could be lost in favour of BA & LH, especially with the latter operating a shuttle service schedule to FRA.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Mar 7, 2017 at 2:55 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am not so sure that AF has more to lose than AZ, because JV flights are not affected (yet?), but also because AZ pax can still book under AF code if they wish and this remains in the Skyteam family. AZ long-haul is still limited and EY connections in AUH are useless if going to the Americas or Japan/Korea. I would tend to think that both AF/KL and AZ will lose something but that AZ has more to lose and it will accelerate the haemorrhage.
Indeed, I had forgotten that the TATL JV is not affected. The only difference will be that AZ feeder flights to AMS/CDG will be sold under a AZ flight number rather than a AF/KL codeshare flight number (for those feeders using AZ metal).
But pricewise it should not be affected (probably).

When/if the TATL JV ends, the situation will be different.
My speculation is that there are many more Italians using the JV (through CDG/AMS) than French pax (through Italy). Unless AFKL offer good frequencies from Italian airports that might reduce the attraction for Italian pax. And then AFKL will simply be one of the airlines of choice competing with LH, BA and US airlines.
But we don't know what will happen if AZ leaves the JV. Maybe they will conclude a separate agreement with DL or another airline to increase its TATL coverage. Or maybe they will simply fold as seems likely.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:14 am

My speculation is that there are many more Italians using the JV (through CDG/AMS) than French pax (through Italy).
Certainty - just look at the numbers in terms of long-haul routes. Northern Italy is a very lucrative market and, instead of thinking what will be with AZ (who's not a competitor anyway) and who's going to lose out from the business break-up, I'm sure at AF-KL they will be worrying about any potential loss in traffic in favour of LH & BA.

G
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
My speculation is that there are many more Italians using the JV (through CDG/AMS) than French pax (through Italy).
You don't need to qualify the passengers by nationality...there simply are far fewer AZ flights to North America than on the other Skyteam JV partners.

AZ want to run more services, but are restricted from doing so by the others

I can't find a more up to date slide right now but here was the situation in summer 15

(They had fewer seats in 2015 than 10 years previously, prior to their JV entry - meaning AZ and BA were the only "big" airlines to actually decline in numbers on the TATL market. Back in 2005, AZ would have represented around 11% of Skyteam capacity (though perhaps NW's numbers for 2005 are completely missing rather than being added to Delta's figures for 2005); in 2015, AZ only represented 6.7% of Skyteam JV seats.)

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 7, 2017 at 3:30 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Back in 2005, AZ would have represented around 11% of Skyteam capacity]
Interesting and that does make sense as, back then, AZ was based at MXP with over 200 planes.

G
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You don't need to qualify the passengers by nationality...there simply are far fewer AZ flights to North America than on the other Skyteam JV partners.
Of course, I did not mean to classify by nationality but by point of origin

Indeed so few AZ flight to America (even including Etihad)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed so few AZ flight to America (even including Etihad)
Etihad doesn't fly to the US from Europe, if that's what you mean. Emirates flies from Milan, and willl soon also fly from Athens...
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
So it won't be possible to combine AF/KLM and Alitalia any more? Last week the AF App showed that my two upcoming flights with Alitalia AMS-LIN and LIN-AMS had been cancelled, and to my utter dismay I saw that I had been moved to something called KLM Cityhopper which I doubt i'd like given that I don't like small planes. Fortunately I was allowed to change the tickets to Air France, whose schedule also suits me better.

So I guess this is final, no more Alitalia?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ticino
So it won't be possible to combine AF/KLM and Alitalia any more?
Of course it will. Any travel agent can do this.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course it will. Any travel agent can do this.
Well, that will depend on the fare as not all fares allow interlining and/or combinability with another airline's fares. There will be no issue with US origins or destinations due to the JV but the same should not be assumed for other origins or destinations.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Well, that will depend on the fare as not all fares allow interlining and/or combinability with another airline's fares. There will be no issue with US origins or destinations due to the JV but the same should not be assumed for other origins or destinations.
That may be but you should keep in mind that AZ and AF/KL are still part of SkyTeam, so at least for awards, one can route on a combination of them if available. Thus, my sense is that there is still a fare published for other city pairs, so one shouldn't automatically assume that just because codesharing is being limited, those fares no longer exist or that routing rules are significantly modified.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
That may be but you should keep in mind that AZ and AF/KL are still part of SkyTeam, so at least for awards, one can route on a combination of them if available. Thus, my sense is that there is still a fare published for other city pairs, so one shouldn't automatically assume that just because codesharing is being limited, those fares no longer exist or that routing rules are significantly modified.
AZ being in Skyteam makes very little difference for commercial fares if AF does not file fare that allow interlining or combination with AZ.

I have not checked for South America and Africa but, as far as Asia is concerned, I cannot seem to find an AF fare that will allow interlining with AZ or combination with AZ at anything cheaper than at full fare (Y class for economy and C class for business). Within purely intra-European itineraries, it is even worse: AFAIK, there is no combinability at all, period.

The story is more or less the same with KL, except that KL allows IATA fares, so you could in theory have a IATA full Y fare within Europe if you wanted.

So, for practical purposes, and except for the North American JV and for award redemptions, combining AFKL with AZ is pretty much dead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.