FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Platinum for 2 question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1669874-platinum-2-question.html)

Klmdwsq Apr 6, 2015 1:32 am

Platinum for 2 question

Does anyone know what the limitations are for assigning 'platinum for 2' status under the Amex flying blue platinum card? Can you assign someone on a different address or can you change this after a year for example?

kevinflyaway Apr 6, 2015 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Klmdwsq (Post 24622572)
Does anyone know what the limitations are for assigning 'platinum for 2' status under the Amex flying blue platinum card? Can you assign someone on a different address or can you change this after a year for example?

You can always change your no 2 under your own card. You just need to wait a few days before the Amex system has 'talked' with the KL system.

I also found out something irritating about Plat for 2 last week. It only works if the main cardholder receives Plat, that the no2 also gets Plat. If the no2 receives plat, it does not also count for the main cardholder. I find this rather stupid, since now we have to change the main card holder in order to both get Platinum instead of just one of us.

Zembla Apr 6, 2015 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Klmdwsq (Post 24622572)

My understanding is that you can assign the 2nd platinum card to someone on a different address (in the Netherlands). The FB platinum for 2 status would also be transferred to this person. You are responsible for all card expenditures though.

Klmdwsq Apr 6, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks, very helpful!

Gajan Apr 7, 2015 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Zembla (Post 24622943)
My understanding is that you can assign the 2nd platinum card to someone on a different address (in the Netherlands). The FB platinum for 2 status would also be transferred to this person. You are responsible for all card expenditures though.

That is correct (based on own experiences).

I have given a colleague the platinum for 2, but have never activated the Amex that was sent via post (actually threw it in the bin). Each year the platinum status of the co-card holder is extended without any issues.

San Gottardo Apr 9, 2015 1:38 am

Since this seems to be the place where people know about Platinum for two, I would have two questions:

I understand that I can transfer FB award miles from my account to that of the second card holder, for free. How do I do that? And how long does it take for the transferred miles to be credited to the second card holder's Flying Blue account? I want to make a booking for a flight in 2 days and wonder whether it still works out timing-wise.

Second topic, is it normal for the second person not to receive a new FB card? I got mine, she is still Platinum as per the website, but did not receive her FB card.

Zembla Apr 9, 2015 1:50 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 24638884)
Since this seems to be the place where people know about Platinum for two, I would have two questions:

I understand that the two card holders can "pool" their Flying Blue accounts, basically spending whatever mileage is on both accounts combined. AMEX explained to me that this would be done automatically by FB. Anyone has experience with that? I assume that I could not do online bookings using a pooled account balance?

A pooled account was maybe not the best way to explain it. It's actually a quite simple and useful feature. You can freely and without cost transfer miles from one Flying Blue account to another whenever you want and how often you want. You can do that on flyingblue.com (It's called Share&Fly)

Second topic, is it normal for the second person not to receive a new FB card? I got mine, she is still Platinum as per the website, but did not receive her FB card.

In my experience that is not normal. Second card was always sent at the same time. I'd call FB to ask for a new one.

fb175091 Mar 20, 2016 12:50 pm

If you assign 'Platinum for 2' to another person with a FB account, do they keep their account with the accumulated miles and just get upgraded to Platinum? Or will this be a completely new account?

olivedel Mar 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by fb175091 (Post 26360006)
If you assign 'Platinum for 2' to another person with a FB account, do they keep their account with the accumulated miles and just get upgraded to Platinum? Or will this be a completely new account?

Account is just upgraded.

Mingoes Kukupessy Mar 24, 2016 2:21 am

My wife is Russian and not officially living on the same address, in order to give her the second card we had to open a bank account in the Netherlands on her name. Now we're only waiting for her platinum status to become active (it takes quite some time for some reason).

fb175091 Mar 24, 2016 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Mingoes Kukupessy (Post 26379048)
My wife is Russian and not officially living on the same address, in order to give her the second card we had to open a bank account in the Netherlands on her name. Now we're only waiting for her platinum status to become active (it takes quite some time for some reason).

I assume that this is about the second AmEx card, right? If you give "Platinum for Two" to another Flying Blue account, why would it matter whether this person has a Dutch bank account?

Gajan Mar 24, 2016 3:47 am

Originally Posted by fb175091 (Post 26379071)
I assume that this is about the second AmEx card, right? If you give "Platinum for Two" to another Flying Blue account, why would it matter whether this person has a Dutch bank account?

I agree, should not matter. In order to issue to co-card Amex they do require a copy of an ID

Xandrios Mar 24, 2016 6:12 am

I understand that I can transfer FB award miles from my account to that of the second card holder, for free. How do I do that? And how long does it take for the transferred miles to be credited to the second card holder's Flying Blue account? I want to make a booking for a flight in 2 days and wonder whether it still works out timing-wise.

First log in to the KLM page, then go here:
https://www.klm.com/ams/account/#/transfer-miles

Transfers between the two accounts are instantaneous. You can transfer both ways (from main to co-card, or from co-card to main cardholder).

Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 24628311)
I have given a colleague the platinum for 2, but have never activated the Amex that was sent via post (actually threw it in the bin). Each year the platinum status of the co-card holder is extended without any issues.

Do note that if your colleague signs up for an other amex card (whatever card that may be) he/she will lose the status gifted by you.

Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 26379208)
I agree, should not matter. In order to issue to co-card Amex they do require a copy of an ID

When I did this (granted, it was for a Gold card) no verification was done whatsoever. No ID needed, and they didnt verify the address. Perhaps things have changed by now - though there shouldn't be a need for verification: The bills go to the main cardholder anyway..

Gajan Mar 26, 2016 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 26379503)

Do note that if your colleague signs up for an other amex card (whatever card that may be) he/she will lose the status gifted by you.

Once the co-cardholder is disconnected, they continue to benefit from soft landings (provided that they have made a qualifying flight or have their own Amex and receive the segments through the card).

strikerbird Nov 4, 2018 1:28 am

Does anyone know how often you change the person of platinum for 2? And is there a limit?