Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Coder33
Wiki for Mileage/XP Runs
Indicate below your itinerary, availability dates, price and XP. Please only log runs with confirmed fares availability. Feel free to tag yourself if you want to meet fellow FTers.
Eg:
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK-AMS-CDG-MXP in J, 2021-01-01/02, 570 €, 180 XP
HEL-AMS-LAX-AMS-HEL in J, 2022-08-16/18, 1059 €, 204 XP (@XXXFlyer arriving at 11:50 AM, leaving at 06:00 AM)

Upcoming runs:
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK in J on 2022/07/21-22, 380€ - 45XP (8,44€/XP) : one way

Past runs:
For future reference, log below your most interesting XP runs:

KRK-AMS-CDG-BCN-AMS-CDG-KRK, 2021-07-22/24, 576 €, 180 XP
ATH-CDG-AMS-KRK-AMS-CDG-ATH in J, 2021-09-18/19, 561€
KRK-AMS-CDG-LIS-CDG-AMS-KRK, 2021-07-22/28, 492 € 180 XP
NTE-CDG-AMS-LIS-CDG-LYS-NTE, 2021-09-25/26, 157 €/42XP
Print Wikipost

Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?

Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: FB Plat
The best XP/€ ratio will be obtained with short international flights in business class.
AF/KL is a safe way to earn miles as all AF/KL-coded flights earn miles/XP, even the cheapest fares, which may not be the case on partner airlines.
Cheapest fares usually require at least 1 night at destination (Saturday or Sunday).
AF/KL fares usually allow you to do some transfers at CDG and/or AMS for free. Stopovers will increase the fare class and thus the price.

Given all these elements, the best XP run would be something like AAA-CDG/AMS-AMS/CDG-BBB-AMS/CDG-CDG/AMS-AAA with AAA and BBB somewhere in Europe and a night at BBB, all in J on AF/KL. You will find some great examples in this thread.
This may be nonetheless subject to exogenous parameters (e.g. how easily and cheaply you can position to some specific points in Europe).

Intercontinental flights would yield a worse XP/€ ratio but will give you a far more comfortable experience and better souvenirs (which is not the point of a XP run).
ndg90 and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: FB Plat
As far as I remember: Alitalia has some flights from BRU/GVA to Spain, AF/KLM has some flights between GVA/MUC/STR/FRA/DUS to CDG to AMS to : BLL, Norway, and other Northern Europe countries (mainly KL-only destinations). Those are the most common profitable routes, and doable over a week-end.
ndg90 and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Got another European ticket at short notice and I think the €187 price was excellent for a departure in less than one week. Right over the Easter weekend too. The routing is simply GVA-AMS-DUS(KL)/DUS-CDG-GVA(AF), so not anything particularly exciting. But it's a ratio of €9.35 per XP, given that the itinerary above yields 20 XPs (in Economy of course). Anything less in 10 is good deal in my book.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ndg90
Is there somehow some general rule regarding maximizing XP runs?
no written rules , but you need to do some brainstorming
  • Destinations: countries/continents/zones = nothing special , but better to transit trough AMS/CDG .
  • Airlines = depends whats your locationn and where you want to fly
  • Stopovers? = yes , definitely , this can maximise your gains
  • Eco/E+/Biz/First (erm maybe not First for me) = if you fly to a far far away destination and book bizness class , better to add stopovers
  • Length of stay (probs include 1 Saturday night?) = thats a separate topic , which affect the price of the ticket
  • Or any criteria I might have not thought about = time of the year you want to travel and book your ticket
Originally Posted by ndg90
Apologies in advance if this has previously been discussed, or if there is no general way to do XP runs.
All the best and happy flying/lounging,
NdG
because of these changes , in my case i am winning a bit , cause i am often flying cheap long haul flights with stopovers and often with other airlines than airfrance or klm.

However it depends on my travel plans and origin/destinations airports
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Hi Masterfrog, good find for the just over 2k segment. Can't get those cheap prices though. I only managed to find flights from around €900 (from UK), a bit less from Spain around (€700).
I can't find it from Spain now. I thought it was more or less permanent price. But I'm pretty sure it will come back. There were tons of cheap fares from Spain all year when I looked at it.
Anyway, the trick for this nice XP run is starting from Southern Europe because it doesn't really make sense to stop in Paris or Amsterdam to go to Tel Aviv so you can find the best deals from Southern cities.
Rome, Lisbon are good options too.
The new search is horrible to find the cheapest dates. You have to click every date to find the best deal now.
Anyway I found this interesting Rome-Tel Aviv return ticket earning 78 XP in business for 438 euros though. I guess there are other great opportunities with Tel Aviv.

Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely good, that yields an XP ratio of €5.63 per XP more or less. Fancy visiting Tel Aviv actually, but always worried about having UAE and Muscat stamps in my passport. Maybe it's the other way around that could be difficult, though. Is this fare generally available or only seasonal (i.e. the summer, when it's hot)?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Concerto
Definitely good, that yields an XP ratio of €5.63 per XP more or less. Fancy visiting Tel Aviv actually, but always worried about having UAE and Muscat stamps in my passport. Maybe it's the other way around that could be difficult, though. Is this fare generally available or only seasonal (i.e. the summer, when it's hot)?
in case you need to go to oslo you can also gain good XP with routing to sandefjord (torp airport) a bit south of oslo.
XXX-CDG-AMS-TRF and return for 420€ (90XP) - at least from German and Swiss airports

Zarmakuizz and glennhaak like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh very nice, F0zzy, that seems to route through both CDG and AMS in both directions. It would yield 90XPs and is a reasonable price too. I would probably be starting in DUS, but maybe ZRH instead. I see that's on lastminute.de which is pretty good I think.

EDIT- I don't know how to book that on lastminute.de, it's just awful. When's someone going to create a website that you can actually easily book flights from? How did you do your initial search? On Kayak? (Obviously not, Kayak doesn't work either).

On expedia.de I can get it to price up by plugging in DUS-CDG-TRF and back. The systems automatically selects a route through AMS. But it prices at €526 (from ZRH at €551).

Is it for a specific time of year? Because one window of opportunity is the 2nd week of July, but I can't see anything at a reasonable price (I only looked at Flugladen.de, can't get the others to work). One problem with me is, I have neither the time nor patience to fiddle around with it. If it's not fairly easily bookable, I usually just let it drop. So I suspect the BLL or TRF run is something I will never do.

Last edited by Concerto; Apr 22, 2019 at 4:17 pm Reason: more info
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:02 pm

I used kayak.de and you‘ll find the itineraries also on airfrance.com - just a bit more expensive.

i usually search such itineraries over the weekend Fri-Sun or Sat-Sun and most weekends do work - use kayak and klick through to the OTA of your choice.

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks F0zzy, I'll have a look at it. I think this run is worth doing if it can be booked.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by Concerto
Ok, thanks F0zzy, I'll have a look at it. I think this run is worth doing if it can be booked.
However poor miles earn

I hope AZ will still flying to keep earn easily miles and XP
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by AurelAF96
However poor miles earn

Since Flying Blue changed to revenue based mileage on AF/KL there are no mileage runs on those carriers anymore only XP runs are still kind of cheapish
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Since Flying Blue changed to revenue based mileage on AF/KL there are no mileage runs on those carriers anymore only XP runs are still kind of cheapish
Only if you fly on AF/KL marketed flights in that case of course no mileage runs
But you can fly AF/KL on AZ or DL marketed flight and then you will earn a good amount of miles
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However poor miles earn

That is indeed what I was thinking because I am not sure it is fair to drag my partner, who is crediting to AirEuropa SUMA, on this trip. SUMA seems to yield so few miles that it's laughable. And who knows if AirEuropa might go the way of Air Berlin
Berlin ...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Only if you fly on AF/KL marketed flights in that case of course no mileage runs
But you can fly AF/KL on AZ or DL marketed flight and then you will earn a good amount of miles
Yes, but no one does mileage runs anymore as you can't achieve or renew a status with miles now, whatever you fly AFKL or other Skyteam carriers. XP runs is the new "trend"
f0zzyNUE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.