Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?

Old Feb 8, 20, 6:57 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Platinum, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, GHA Black
I flew two times with KL to BLL and got a gate position in both instances. When arriving you need to go left to the transfer door, not right to baggage claim where all people go (then you would need to re-enter the gate area through the main security.
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkl View Post
I flew two times with KL to BLL and got a gate position in both instances. When arriving you need to go left to the transfer door, not right to baggage claim where all people go (then you would need to re-enter the gate area through the main security.
From the discussion on the BA board, it would seem that there is one caveat, which is that the transfer door might be closed if there is a non-EUR flight (such as a TK flight) arriving around the same time, in which case you would have to go via landside. The general consensus on the BA board seems to be that, even if that is the case, the detour via landside should be fairly quick but you might have to jump the queue if security is busy at that particular point in time..
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: FB Plat
Assuming he is flying in J ex-BLL, there is a dedicated fast track lane if having to go through landside. I would be pretty confident about this direct turnaround except if OP also aims at buying some Lego before boarding.
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Although it would add to the costs, OP should consider building in a night there, perhaps getting a car and going to the coast nearby for some seafood.
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
Any recommendations for destinations within a short hop (1 hr) of AMS. Looking to get some XPs by going LBA-AMS-??.
I will probably spend a couple of days at the destination, but don't want to go too far or do multiple time-consuming legs. Smaller airports preferred.
Will be in Business, so looking for high availability/low price Biz class routes, with several flights from AMS per day.
Currently thinking about places such as HAM, DUS, CPH, BRU, French cities such as LYS.
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:59 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
Any recommendations for destinations within a short hop (1 hr) of AMS. Looking to get some XPs by going LBA-AMS-??.
I will probably spend a couple of days at the destination, but don't want to go too far or do multiple time-consuming legs. Smaller airports preferred.
Will be in Business, so looking for high availability/low price Biz class routes, with several flights from AMS per day.
Currently thinking about places such as HAM, DUS, CPH, BRU, French cities such as LYS.
You can add FRA, GVA, HAM and ZRH , the distance from amsterdam is more or less the same
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:51 pm

@mikem004: Care to share when are you looking to travel? Price-driven recommendations are hardly possible without knowledge of that ...
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:04 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
@mikem004: Care to share when are you looking to travel? Price-driven recommendations are hardly possible without knowledge of that ...
Looking to travel in April.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:41 am

Programs: FB Gold, ALL Silver, HH Silver
I always manage to score a ~360 round trip fare in Business (O) with AF on MAN-CDG-ARN at certain points of the year (usually autumn and spring).

Not sure if that helps, but, LBA being your local airport means MAN is not far away.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:27 pm

The prices for a weekend to one-week trip in April out of LBA do not look good - the lowest I find are €567 to MRS 16-22.4 or €596 to NCE 2-8.4
If you change your departure to MAN a lot of options around €400 come up - however you may need to fly AF instead of KL to get those prices.
Try playing with the various options here: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=M...;sc:b;sd:0;t:e
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:05 pm

Right, I've hit a block with trying to get to Bristol in June. What I want to do is book business class with a transfer in CDG and AMS, but nothing comes up whatsoever. It looks like I'm out of luck for Air France and their itineraries giving 90 XP. The results give only Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines, some of which clock around 380, a decent price which will be interesting and useful next year once Miles & More adopt their new system.

Any suggestions for getting those 90XP Air France itineraries, starting almost anywhere in central Europe? Maybe I am doing something wrong (I am not an ITA user).
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Right, I've hit a block with trying to get to Bristol in June. What I want to do is book business class with a transfer in CDG and AMS, but nothing comes up whatsoever. It looks like I'm out of luck for Air France and their itineraries giving 90 XP. The results give only Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines, some of which clock around 380, a decent price which will be interesting and useful next year once Miles & More adopt their new system.

Any suggestions for getting those 90XP Air France itineraries, starting almost anywhere in central Europe? Maybe I am doing something wrong (I am not an ITA user).
Try this one:
https://flights.app.goo.gl/WCCus
It is 623 out of WAW, you could do DUS as well for 687. Not really cheap, but it gets you where you'd like to be. Just remember that staying a Saturday night is required for this tariff.
You can probably knock off another 50 if you use an OTA.
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
The prices for a weekend to one-week trip in April out of LBA do not look good - the lowest I find are 567 to MRS 16-22.4 or 596 to NCE 2-8.4
If you change your departure to MAN a lot of options around 400 come up - however you may need to fly AF instead of KL to get those prices.
Try playing with the various options here: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=M...;sc:b;sd:0;t:e
MAN-CDG-AMS-KRK and rtn is as low as 357 in April - 90XP in J, or a manic Sat out and Sun rtn is 504. Both pretty decent value, and Krakow is a great city for a short break (if you can ignore the UK teens getting hammered on a Saturday night). I recommend the 8 course tasting menu at the Biala Roza, if you have time.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:50 am

As said just above, you can find MAN-CDG-AMS-KRK for 432 for a quick week-end roundtrip in April , (un)fortunately you won't spend much more than few hours in Krakow .

Old Feb 12, 20, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Thysk View Post
Try this one:
https://flights.app.goo.gl/WCCus
It is €623 out of WAW, you could do DUS as well for €687. Not really cheap, but it gets you where you'd like to be. Just remember that staying a Saturday night is required for this tariff.
You can probably knock off another €50 if you use an OTA.
Thanks for the link. I was actually finally seeing, after some fiddling around, that Opodo offered these fares (and sometimes Opodo have interesting discount vouchers). One option from Milan was routed through Lyon, with an overnight there and a 06h10 flight to Amsterdam in the morning. It was about €550. Another option for the same price was from Vienna, which might work better overall. On this routing the overnight would be at AMS, which is better IMO.

GVA, ZRH and MUC were not offering good prices. Of course, I will stay the weekend (5 nights in fact) because the dinner I have to attend is on a Sarurday.

Last edited by Concerto; Feb 12, 20 at 5:32 am Reason: further thoughts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: