Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Air France/KLM code share flights but with ZERO miles! Beware!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to alert others to a very misleading practice of AirFrance-KLM.

I recently bought return business class tickets between Amsterdam and Abu Dhabi. The flight numbers were KL 3948 and KL 3949. After trying to claim the missing miles, I have been informed that even though it was a code share (obviously), the flights do not qualify for any miles at all, because the airline KLM used for the flight (Etihad) was not an official partner! In other words, be aware that AF-KLM partners with other airlines and share revenue, but decide to give NOTHING to its loyal customers that get caught in this misleading practice.

Just a warning!

Cheers,

Adam
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ACDenman
I just wanted to alert others to a very misleading practice of AirFrance-KLM.

I recently bought return business class tickets between Amsterdam and Abu Dhabi. The flight numbers were KL 3948 and KL 3949. After trying to claim the missing miles, I have been informed that even though it was a code share (obviously), the flights do not qualify for any miles at all, because the airline KLM used for the flight (Etihad) was not an official partner! In other words, be aware that AF-KLM partners with other airlines and share revenue, but decide to give NOTHING to its loyal customers that get caught in this misleading practice.

Just a warning!

Cheers,

Adam
I'm a bit unclear as to what you are mentioning here:

1) If you booked the flights under the KL code (even operated by EY), you will get Flying Blue miles. If they told you that you should not they are making a mistake and you should call again;

2) If you booked the flights but under the EY code, then of course, you will not earn any miles (even if operated by KL) as indeed, EY-coded flights cannot earn FB miles;

3) If you booked KL-coded flights operated by EY and are trying to accrue on another Skyteam FFP, then you will not earn miles because the rule is the same as with any other alliance that I know about, ie to accrue, flights must be both coded and operated by alliance partners.

Can you clarify which your case was?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The rule outlined by Orbitmic is the general concept in all alliances, so it is not specific to AF-KL.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I guess we shall never know ....
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:00 am

Totally agree with the general concept outlined, but the statements of Air France and KLM online couldn't be more misleading:

https://www.facebook.com/KLM/posts/10152122903815773
We can tell you that you will earn Miles if your flight is operated by KLM, AIR FRANCE or by any other airline partners (or if there are KLM flight numbers shown on your ticket).
The "or" in the brackets should better be a "only"...

http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/com...partenaire.htm
Traveling with Etihad ...
Miles
Are you a Flying Blue member? You can earn the same number of Miles as for a flight provided by Air France.
No mentioning that booking under KL/AF flight number is mandatory to get the miles.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jarino
No mentioning that booking under KL/AF flight number is mandatory to get the miles.
But the T&C of FB always apply in all cases and this rule is clearly stated in those. But I fully agree with you that the information provided on the website is too simplified and therefore can be considered as somewhat misleading.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: Air France
Did you call Air France? Sometimes Twitter is better.

Saluer, Pasqual Scholtius
Paris, France
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Flying blue
I had that years ago when Malaysian Airlines were starting to be a partner. MH16 (still gives me chills) comes up as KL4301 or something like that. From that you were supposed to know it's not a KLM plane, or "blue tail" as the desk put it, therefore no level miles.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by vexorg
I had that years ago when Malaysian Airlines were starting to be a partner. MH16 (still gives me chills) comes up as KL4301 or something like that. From that you were supposed to know it's not a KLM plane, or "blue tail" as the desk put it, therefore no level miles.
I am afraid your are mistaken.

May have been the rule back then, but the rule now would be (for the purpose of the demo, I changed neither the flight numbers nor the airline):

- you buy the ticket as MH 16 : award miles (MH partner airline, but not FB member)
- you buy the ticket as KL 4301 : status miles.

The rule is plain and simple : any AF or KL coded flight (with the odd exception of mini fares and the like), will generate status miles whatever the metal is.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by ACDenman
I just wanted to alert others to a very misleading practice of AirFrance-KLM.(...)
One month since your posting and no answer from you.

Did you buy the ticket with KL or EY flight numbers?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
I am afraid your are mistaken.

May have been the rule back then, but the rule now would be (for the purpose of the demo, I changed neither the flight numbers nor the airline):

- you buy the ticket as MH 16 : award miles (MH partner airline, but not FB member)
- you buy the ticket as KL 4301 : status miles.

The rule is plain and simple : any AF or KL coded flight (with the odd exception of mini fares and the like), will generate status miles whatever the metal is.
It's very easy to find the relevant info on the FB pages:

http://www.flyingblue.com/earn-and-s...-airlines.html

And then of course it is a question of the airline/program applying the rules correctly. Whether or not you agree with the earning rules is a different matter ...

Etihad does not feature in the Partner pages (i.e. no accrual for EY flight numbers) but marketed and ticketed as KL there should be no problem earning Award and Level miles.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by sbams
It's very easy to find the relevant info on the FB pages:

http://www.flyingblue.com/earn-and-s...-airlines.html

And then of course it is a question of the airline/program applying the rules correctly. Whether or not you agree with the earning rules is a different matter ...
I think the OP is saying that just because it has a KL number doesn't mean you get the miles. Even if you book though KLM, there is a * and small print for who is operating the flight. It's easy to assume it's KLM with a KL number. Generally anything over 1000 for the KL number is code shared.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think the OP is saying that just because it has a KL number doesn't mean you get the miles. Even if you book though KLM, there is a * and small print for who is operating the flight. It's easy to assume it's KLM with a KL number. Generally anything over 1000 for the KL number is code shared.
Again, this statement is simply wrong. If you book the KL flight number KL8xxx or KL4xxx operated by any partner (Skyteam or non-Skyteam) you will get exactly as many level and award miles as though it was KL operated.

However, you don't get any level miles for flights coded by a non-skyteam airline, regardless of whether you "could have" bought code shared KL flight numbered tickets on that flight, or for that matter even if it is operated by KL (in other words, MH xxx operated by KL does not get you level miles).

And by the way, I don't think any KL 1xxx flight is code shared! The KL 1xxx series are European flights operated by KL and KL City hopper.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:58 am

Orbitmic just beat me to it, and I echo his reply entirely. The OP should receive Level and Award miles as long has his trip was ticketed with KL numbers.

Since the European flights all became the KL 1000 series (Newcastle being a weird exception) it would be correct to say anything over 2000 flight numbers.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by sbams
Orbitmic just beat me to it, and I echo his reply entirely. The OP should receive Level and Award miles as long has his trip was ticketed with KL numbers.

Since the European flights all became the KL 1000 series (Newcastle being a weird exception) it would be correct to say anything over 2000 flight numbers.
Yeah, sorry, probably over 2000, was thinking long haul code, forgot about Europe

I have booked through KLM and not got the level miles only the award miles. And when I spoke to them I was told I should always check the carrier myself. It's been a few year, but I won't trust them to do anyting, their customer service is up to the usual European standard of "These are the rules, now **** off"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.