Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Segments run without travel document / Flying Blue refusing to cooperate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Segments run without travel document / Flying Blue refusing to cooperate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:55 am
Original Poster

I reached Platinum by segment run.
1. I got one segment for claiming it because of rerouting (was supposed to fly LGA-DTW-AMS and was rerouted to JFK-AMS direct to help me fly without any travel documents by removing any additional transfer points). 1 segment.
2. I had one AMS-DUS RT ticket and one DUS-MOW ticket. I changed the latter to DUS-ZWE for €80 (they waived 70 EUR change fee). Using those tickets flew to DUS and back two times, once it was just the same aircraft, another time I had to sleep over in a hotel (€70). 6 segments.
3. I bought Monday's Mystery ticket for €109 and flew to Geneva. 2 segments.
4. Unfortunately new AMEX card is also coming so I'm getting another 8 later in December. Now I would rather have this in January (or would rather not fly if I knew it would definitely happen).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
4. Unfortunately new AMEX card is also coming so I'm getting another 8 later in December. Now I would rather have this in January (or would rather not fly if I knew it would definitely happen).
The Amex segments are not a one off, so you'll still get them again next December so long as you keep the card. Glad for you you managed to reach your goal and hope the new passport comes soon!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The Amex segments are not a one off, so you'll still get them again next December so long as you keep the card. Glad for you you managed to reach your goal and hope the new passport comes soon!
Thanks!
There are multiple reasons to get your AMEX segments in the beginning of the year. You could downgrade to Gold some time and then have 52 segments in the middle of the year, having to wait until December for your segments.
You could also get 8 segments in January and switch to AMEX Gold saving a lot of money.

Last edited by dimitriyremerov; Dec 2, 2014 at 3:03 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
Thanks!
There are multiple reasons to get your AMEX segments in the beginning of the year. You could downgrade to Gold some time and then have 52 segments in the middle of the year, having to wait until December for your segments.
You could also get 8 segments in January and switch to AMEX Gold saving a lot of money.
I may be wrong but my understanding was that the bonus segments were always added to one's account in December. At least that was the case when I had the Amex card, which I gave back a couple of years ago as I personally found it a total waste of money.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:14 pm

Hi, I am in a similar situation in terms of segments, and would like to know if I can get FB Platinum. So I would appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks in advance for your reply(ies).

Before the end of the year, I will reach 52 segments. I obtained 4 of these 52 segments with an AMEX FB Gold card (I applied and got the card in October 2014). If I upgrade this AMEX card to an AMEX FB Platinum card, will I get 8 (on top of the 4) or 4 (difference between platinum and gold) segments?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hasan981
Hi, I am in a similar situation in terms of segments, and would like to know if I can get FB Platinum. So I would appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks in advance for your reply(ies).

Before the end of the year, I will reach 52 segments. I obtained 4 of these 52 segments with an AMEX FB Gold card (I applied and got the card in October 2014). If I upgrade this AMEX card to an AMEX FB Platinum card, will I get 8 (on top of the 4) or 4 (difference between platinum and gold) segments?
From what we understand previously from this topic you would get 8 extra. But I'd hurry up with your upgrade. Note that if you upgrade to FB AMEX Platinum you'll also earn status for your additional card holder (Platinum for two).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I may be wrong but my understanding was that the bonus segments were always added to one's account in December. At least that was the case when I had the Amex card, which I gave back a couple of years ago as I personally found it a total waste of money.
It's not always in December. It's exactly when they charge you the yearly fee, which happen to be in December for everyone who held AMEX card before the last change.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is interesting to see how far one owuld go to get FB Plat instead of FB G. It is great to sometimes go on a mission in life, even if it makes little financial sense, and I congratulate you for succeeding.

But that has been a costly achievement: doing two return flights just to get segments, transforming a ticket to Moscow to a ticket to ZWE, paying 150 (additional fee and hotel) plus the AMEX Plat card, spending huge amount of time devising the scheme and flying.
But well done.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
It is great to sometimes go on a mission in life, even if it makes little financial sense, and I congratulate you for succeeding.
If you think 8 segments is an impressive way to waste money, you should see what we come up with on the BA board!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

Still considering whether I should really ticket my Ł870 MAN-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-MAN AA J/P/F run for early January ... PNR expires tomorrow, decisions, decisions
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
If you think 8 segments is an impressive way to waste money, you should see what we come up with on the BA board!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

Still considering whether I should really ticket my Ł870 MAN-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-MAN AA J/P/F run for early January ... PNR expires tomorrow, decisions, decisions
Indeed

With BA exceptional offer, you can move from Blue to Gold in one run and less than EUR1,000. IMO BAEC Gold offers benefits far superior to FB Plat, such as access to F lounges on OW (CX in HKG, QF in SYD/MEL, JL in NRT/HND. MH in KUL), which I use extensively. But my real question is whether it is worth moving from FB Gold to FB Plat, which would require 30 segments.

But personally, I would never go through the torture of your tier point run even if in J/P/F. And I doubt that you will as you are already BAEC G

Last edited by brunos; Dec 4, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed

But with BA exceptional offer, you can move from Blue to Gold in one run and less than 1,000. IMO BAEC Gold offers benefits far superior to FB Plat, such as access to F lounges on OW (CX in HKG, QF in SYD/MEL, JL in NRT/HND. MH in KUL), which I use extensively. My question is whether it is worth moving from FB Gold to FB Plat, which would require 30 segments.

But personally, I would never go through the torture of your tier point run even if in J/P/F. And I doubt that you will as you are already BAEC G
Nope, I got drunk and ticketed it!

1090 points won't be sufficient to renew gold in itself (require 1500, although I already have nearly that many ...) but I am looking forward to visiting Hawaii for the first time + Might see a friend who lives in NYC + I sort of like trying new aircraft in J/F + Might be enough to push me into GGL territory this year + this is all an excuse I'm a sucker for a bargain
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Indeed

My question is whether it is worth moving from FB Gold to FB Plat, which would require 30 segments.
The OP did explain that his key motivation was the FB AMEX Platinum-for-2 deal rather than the (rather limited) incremental perks. There is not such deal for Gold.
It will provide them Elite status for 2 for a couple of years provided they qualify at least for soft landing.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
The OP did explain that his key motivation was the FB AMEX Platinum-for-2 deal rather than the (rather limited) incremental perks. There is not such deal for Gold.
It will provide them Elite status for 2 for a couple of years provided they qualify at least for soft landing.
I am sorry but I do not see that anywhere.
The OP flew the extra 8 segments to get from FB Gold to FB Plat.

As a side note, he mentions that AMEX Plat has the deal for a second card. But he was not even aware of the benefits that the AMEX Plat could bring him when he started this thread.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Calchas
Nope, I got drunk and ticketed it!
That's what I usually do! And I rarely regret it. That is an amazing deal, GBP870 to HNL. I noticed that was going on over at the BA board, but there's no way I can make any extra trips in the first half of next year (unfortunately).

Concerning the Gold to Platinum jump, the only major advantage which springs out at me if you achieve that is that it will take longer to softland back to the bottom again if you don't requalify in the coming year (keeping in mind you have to fly at least one flight to be able to softland). For me, the advantages of Gold are good enough for the moment.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Of course I did know. I posted it also in one of the replies on the first page.
My main goals are Platinum for Two and Soft Landing. My wife herself only gets to Silver, now we both are going to be at least Gold until 03/2017.
Otherwise it would really not make any sense: the Economy Comfort seats could be bought for the money I spent on all these flights.

Last edited by dimitriyremerov; Dec 5, 2014 at 6:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.