Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Cash Upgrade Offer to Business Class on KQ Kenya Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash Upgrade Offer to Business Class on KQ Kenya Airways

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
End of April (so before August)
Thanks, because Kenya Airways introduced a revamped catering mid August, beginning of September. TBH with this recent review (on KQ101 LHR-NBO) there is no real difference
Starting at 9:15:
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
It all depends!

Good luck!
Just for fun, I've entered it at the lowest price point - 50GBP and it was accepted.

More importantly, ticket was re-issued on KQ stock in Z class
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Just for fun, I've entered it at the lowest price point - 50GBP and it was accepted.

Perks of KQ - same happened to me a few months ago ! Wondering if other ST airlines have the same “loopholes”

Last edited by offvoice; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:22 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by offvoice
so unlikely to happen that I do love sharing it) -
You might want to re-read my posts in this thread [and maybe edit yours] - that's exactly what happened with my ticket
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:19 am

You might want to re-read my posts in this thread [and maybe edit yours] - that's exactly what happened with my ticket
apologies, I only read the last one (how lazy of me ) will edit
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum

Did you get the miles/XP for a Z class ticket in the end, or was it still regarded as an award ticket?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:05 pm

I did.
PeteM01 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club

Well done!
Good to know for upcoming trips
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:29 am

A datapoint on this: I also went for the cheapest possible upgrade on a KQ miles-booked ticket, received the upgrade on KQ stock in Z class, but FB have refused to offer miles or XP. Maybe they have realised that this is a loophole?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01
A datapoint on this: I also went for the cheapest possible upgrade on a KQ miles-booked ticket, received the upgrade on KQ stock in Z class, but FB have refused to offer miles or XP. Maybe they have realised that this is a loophole?
You should be getting the miles/XP for the originally booked ticket, I see no good reason for them to refuse that.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
You should be getting the miles/XP for the originally booked ticket, I see no good reason for them to refuse that.
No, it was an award ticket (i.e. paid for in miles rather than £££) but upgraded for cash, as was jms_uk's. That person was fortunate enough to receive miles/XP on an upgraded award ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:35 pm

Flying from NYC to Uganda (JFK to NBO to EBB) on Kenya airways in May. Booked a cheap ticket in economy, was looking at the bidding process for business class upgrades. It looks like minimum bid is $1000 for JFK - NBO and $70 for NBO - EBB. Question, If I fly business class from EBB to NBO, then economh onto JFK do I still have lounge access. Also, if business class diesn't fill up from the bidding process, can you buy an upgrade at checkin for a cheaper price? Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:47 pm

I think you can try for the lounge at NBO but « rules » would most likely state that you can’t.

For cash upgrade at the airport desk, KQ tends to always offer it. But it is usually much higher than online bidding. For instance on flights to AMS or CDG, you can bid for as low as $400, but doing it at the airport will be systematically at or above $750 (they do not use the bidding system at the airport, they just check the fare difference (which sometimes may not be a very big difference). $1000 for a 14 hours flight is not « that » bad imho.
nycnj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by offvoice
I think you can try for the lounge at NBO but « rules » would most likely state that you can’t.

For cash upgrade at the airport desk, KQ tends to always offer it. But it is usually much higher than online bidding. For instance on flights to AMS or CDG, you can bid for as low as $400, but doing it at the airport will be systematically at or above $750 (they do not use the bidding system at the airport, they just check the fare difference (which sometimes may not be a very big difference). $1000 for a 14 hours flight is not « that » bad imho.
Upgrades at the airport can also usually be done with Miles/Miles+Cash, albeit an old experience, 2 years ago I paid 100 Euro + 35,000 Miles for an upgrade AMS-NBO (and the miles were never debited from my account )
Old May 15, 2019, 2:40 pm

I’m flying next week from NYC to NBO and keep getting the upgrade auction emails. The floor is $1150, so far business class looks wide open. Does anyone know if closer to the flight that minimum bid would will decrease? There are many open seats even in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.