Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF/KL Bookings to ZYR (Brussels Midi/Zuid)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA KL
AF/KL Bookings to ZYR (Brussels Midi/Zuid)

I am considering booking a ticket to Brussels, but using the air/rail option to Brussels Midi (ZYR), flying from Aberdeen via either AMS or CDG.

Some websites show this as a bookable option, ie Opodo, but others Expedia (for example) do not - any idea why? Could it be because they use a different GDS provider?

I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else, though the flight+hotel deals via Expedia are sometimes the best option, and it's slightly irritating I can't book via their site.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sheepfan
Some websites show this as a bookable option, ie Opodo, but others Expedia (for example) do not - any idea why? Could it be because they use a different GDS provider?
I don't think so because I think both are using Amadeus. On Expedia, do you "force" the airline choice for AF or KL. because if yes, I don't see why this routing doesn't show up.
Edit : just tried a dummy booking on expedia ABZ to ZYR in October and, even without restricting the airline choice, I have all options via CDG or AMS
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don't think so because I think both are using Amadeus. On Expedia, do you "force" the airline choice for AF or KL. because if yes, I don't see why this routing doesn't show up.
Edit : just tried a dummy booking on expedia ABZ to ZYR in October and, even without restricting the airline choice, I have all options via CDG or AMS
Strange: just went on to Expedia.co.uk, I can see the CDG connection to ZYR, but not via AMS. With KL it only shows a standard flight connection to BRU, even if I tweak the options. (dates 20-23 Dec).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Sheepfan
Strange: just went on to Expedia.co.uk, I can see the CDG connection to ZYR, but not via AMS. With KL it only shows a standard flight connection to BRU, even if I tweak the options. (dates 20-23 Dec).
Hmm. I would guess that is because of the annual railway timetable change in mid-December, which means that schedules (and hence availability) for trains after mid-December aren't loaded in the system yet. Have you tried dates earlier than mid-December?

However, that doesn't explain why it is showing trains via CDG after the timetable change...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: AF/KL PLAT
I believe the caveat is the following :
While AF offers CDG-ZYR is a true AF segment (coded AF), the KL offering to transfer AMS-ZYR is actually under a Thalys code (coded 9B) and not as a KL segment.

On a KL code, KL doesn't do trains to Brussels - only the regular flight AMS-BRU.
On an AF code, AF doesn't do flights to Brussels - only the train option CDG-ZYR.
To be complete : KL does do trains to Antwerp Central Station (ZWE) under a KL code.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
Originally Posted by lpjanssen
I believe the caveat is the following :

On a KL code, KL doesn't do trains to Brussels - only the regular flight AMS-BRU.
If my trip starts at Brussel midi train station (ZYR) on a trip booked at KLM.com with transfer at AMS, will I receives miles on the 9 B segment?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Terbang
If my trip starts at Brussel midi train station (ZYR) on a trip booked at KLM.com with transfer at AMS, will I receives miles on the 9 B segment?
No, you will not. The ZYR (or ZWE=Antwerp) to AMS on 9B are not miles eligible (even when the trains had KL flight numbers, which they do not anymore). I had long discussions with FB on this one. I was one flight short of FB Silver (yes, I know, it is pathetic) and in the end got the credit as a sign of goodwill from FB as they fail to state this on their web-site.

By contrast, the AF ZYR to CDG service is fully miles eligible.

jak
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Terbang
No. The basic rule is that you only earn level miles on 'flights' which are coded AF/KL (regardless of operating airline - with a few exceptions for some AF-coded flights), or are coded and operated by any other SkyTeam airline.

Thalys is not a member of SkyTeam, so with a 9B code, you will not earn any miles for that segment.

Originally Posted by jak456
No, you will not. The ZYR (or ZWE=Antwerp) to AMS on 9B are not miles eligible (even when the trains had KL flight numbers, which they do not anymore).
Indeed, the ZYR-AMS service only appears to be available with a 9B code, not (any longer) a KL-code. So, as explained above, that would not earn any miles.

However, ZWE-AMS is still available with a KL code - and that does (or at least, did earlier this year) earn award and level miles on FB.... (Obviously, your ticket actually has to have the KL code on it; if your ticket has 2H/9B on it, then you won't earn miles, regardless of the fact that the train itself carries a KL flight number).
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KQ321
Hmm. I would guess that is because of the annual railway timetable change in mid-December, which means that schedules (and hence availability) for trains after mid-December aren't loaded in the system yet. Have you tried dates earlier than mid-December?

However, that doesn't explain why it is showing trains via CDG after the timetable change...
It's very odd. I can find the connection I want via AMS on KLM's website (with the Thalys part to ZYR) or on Opodo, and one or two other websites (such as Bravofly). However, not on Expedia, or lastminute.com.

I've played about with the dates, but no joy. As a former agent, this intrigues me. If I book it, I guess I'll have to do the flight and hotel separately. (KLM offers hotel prices, but via booking.com).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:46 am

However, ZWE-AMS is still available with a KL code - and that does (or at least, did earlier this year) earn award and level miles on FB.... (Obviously, your ticket actually has to have the KL code on it; if your ticket has 2H/9B on it, then you won't earn miles, regardless of the fact that the train itself carries a KL flight number).
As I said, the train does not earn FB miles even with the KL code on the ticket. I took that one in Nov '13, had the KL code on the ticket (not 2H/9B) and was told by FB that no miles can be earned. Eventually, I got the credit as a sign of goodwill after some back and forth.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:59 am

As I said, the train does not earn FB miles even with the KL code on the ticket. I took that one in Nov '13, had the KL code on the ticket (not 2H/9B) and was told by FB that no miles can be earned.
Strange... Was that ZYR-AMS or ZWE-AMS? As indicated, I travelled ZWE-AMS on a KL-coded ticket on Thalys earlier this year, and earned FB miles with no problem. So I don't know whether things have changed, or whether I was lucky, or you were unlucky...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:56 am

Strange... Was that ZYR-AMS or ZWE-AMS? As indicated, I travelled ZWE-AMS on a KL-coded ticket on Thalys earlier this year, and earned FB miles with no problem. So I don't know whether things have changed, or whether I was lucky, or you were unlucky...
ZWE-AMS-ZWE ; see the below answer that I got from FB :

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you very much for your message dated November 15th 2013. You informed us of activities that you would like to have credited to your account.
Upon investigation, we regret to inform you that we are unable to satisfy your request.
The following activities cannot be taken into account :
trip from ZWE to AMS on November 05th 2013
trip from AMS to ZWE on November 07th 2013
Miles can only be accrued for train tickets reserved under an Air France flight number.
Detailed information about the conditions that apply to Miles accrual is available in our website, www.flyingblue.com.
We thank you for your continued loyalty to the Flying Blue programme.
Your Flying Blue team
Probably it should not be a surprise that there is no consistency. Glad to see you got your miles
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
ZWE-AMS-ZWE ; see the below answer that I got from FB :

Probably it should not be a surprise that there is no consistency. Glad to see you got your miles
I got miles for these segments as late as March of this year. The process even improved in terms of getting them applied.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
I got miles for these segments as late as March of this year. The process even improved in terms of getting them applied.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
"flew" out of ZWE in Nov and indeed got the miles credited after making a missing miles claim. Thus, ignore my "you will not get any miles" statement.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
AMS

(...) Indeed, the ZYR-AMS service only appears to be available with a 9B code, not (any longer) a KL-code. So, as explained above, that would not earn any miles.(...).
Checking today on klm website and got AMS/ZYR on Thalys coded KL2963 and ZYR/AMS as KL 2968.

Would the rule that any flight coded AF/KL (with odd exceptions like mini) generated miles and segment apply in this case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.