Club 2000 through a pilot?

Old Sep 10, 14, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
Club 2000 through a pilot?

Hi,

I am currently working on some businesses with an Air France pilot.

Would a pilot be able to provide me with a club 2000 (or even platinum for life) card if we make it part of a deal?

My question is : does a pilot have the ability to make or ask someone to make someone a club 2000 or a platinum member?

Thanks a lot
Old Sep 10, 14, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Are you afraid to ask him/her?

(If you do get around to asking, the answer will be: no).
Old Sep 10, 14, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ruben5b View Post
Hi,

Would a pilot be able to provide me with a club 2000 (or even platinum for life) card if we make it part of a deal?

My question is : does a pilot have the ability to make or ask someone to make someone a club 2000 or a platinum member?

Thanks a lot
I don't think so but, as Irishguy28 said, you risk nothing in asking. Are you in business with AF or with a pilot, as an individual person ? If AF, I suppose you get paid for your work, so I don't see why they would give you for free their top-tier status. And if in business with a pilot, for whatever reason outside AF, I don't see why AF would offer you this.
Keep in mind that Club2000 is not for life.
Old Sep 10, 14, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
I am sure that would not work. Pilots are rather disconnected from sales & marketing operations services. however a message from a pilot to the crew when you take a flight has much much more benefits than any plastic card.
Old Sep 10, 14, 10:12 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Ruben5b View Post
Hi,

Thanks a lot
I understand you are in relation with a pilot through his personal business (such as real estate, finance or anything else).

If the pilot in question has strong relationships (whatever the nature) with the local AF manager, then why not?

Allow me nevertheless to think that this sort of compensation is totally disconnected from the reality of Club 2000 which is clearly targetted as keeping (sort of) control on people who can influence AF business, would they be VIP or travel managers. Personal business of any AF staff, pilot or others, has nothing to do with their employer's business and I fear you would end to a much more uncomfortable situation than the one initially expected.
Old Sep 10, 14, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Personal business of any AF staff, pilot or others, has nothing to do with their employer's business and I fear you would end to a much more uncomfortable situation than the one initially expected.
+1
Old Sep 11, 14, 4:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) Le Club AccorHotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
...If the pilot in question has strong relationships (whatever the nature) with the local AF manager, then why not?...
Yes, for Club 2000 but, imho, not for lifetime Plat directly (possible year after year but they probably never stay so long in the same region)
Gold is more current.

Last edited by delanotre; Sep 11, 14 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 14, 14, 5:39 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
There are some places in the world where this could happen, an airline run on the whims of a government. Up until the early 2000s an employee at Olympic Airways meant he/she (or a relative) knew someone high up in the government. The OA pilots could make anything happen, bring almost anything through customs, etc. I picture this still happening today with LAN or a Thai, an Aeroflot or a Kenyan.

I have been given top tier in a few airlines, both US and foreign, through the respective airline's sales offices, to get my business; it is done all the time (status matching is different). One airline I rarely fly has given me top tier for the past 15 years and I have never asked if it was "for life" just in case I would bring to their attention a mistake - it allows me status benefits with a US airline I fly once in a while.

I burned a bridge with one US airline in particular when I asked if they could do me a favour and give a colleague a higher tier status, like they did for me. They did me the favour and upped his status for a year, but never spoke to me again - lesson learned.

If you are doing a private deal with an individual who so happens to be a pilot with AF, I would give it 10% chance it would work in your favour (he could be a senior pilot with the connections you need for your request). "For life" I would give it .09% and that's because anything is possible.

I can't see a situation where you would be working with an AF pilot for AF business and want to mess things up with your relationship. One of my closest friends is the president of sales for Boeing for a region and it would be in bad taste if he were to ask, for example, say SQ, to throw in "lifetime PPS" for him with their 777-300ER order.

Just sharing my experiences and thoughts. Having "burned my fingers", I would say to you, be careful, you may be walking on thin ice. On the other side, it never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: