Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong Lounge

Over in the Delta forum there is a post saying the AF lounge in Hong Kong has closed and that AF is using the Qantas Lounge. Anyone here departed Hong Kong recently? If so, what was the lounge situation?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Paging brunos!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I've been there recently. The "loungyness" and comfort level is under the norm of the average HKG lounge because of the well known outdated AF furniture. Not famous for slouching and chilling. The lounge is also used for KL flights. I've linked a pic which I found on Flickr (Not mine, but I guess linking is not copying). The food and drink selection in the lounge is quite good, as well as the service. You even have some decent warm food choices there. All in all not bad.

Last edited by Zembla; Jul 16, 2014 at 6:37 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If it has closed (even temporarily), I guess the "loungyness" factor has dropped to zero!

With those chairs and the shape of those lamps, it could only be an AF lounge.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If it has closed (even temporarily), I guess the "loungyness" factor has dropped to zero!

With those chairs and the shape of those lamps, it could only be an AF lounge.
So true Are they replacing the furniture with something more....loungy?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have not been at the ST lounge for a year. So I do not know if it is temporarily closed.
I am affraid that I disagree with Zembla. That lounge offers awful wine and no food. There is periodically an attendant coming with a small tray of mediocre canapes but that disappears within seconds. the lounge is extremely crowded in the evening (often no seats available, certainly no pair seats for couples) because of AF and KL flights.

If pax are indeed redirected to the QF lounge, that is a plus. The new QF lounge is very nice and huge. The catering is less in the evening after most QF departed, but the buffet is still way ahead of AF lounge and wines much better. QF lounge is afr away from the usual gate of AF380, just after immigration.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"No food" is widely acknowledged as the best accompaniment to "awful wine"!!!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I cannot find any information on DL or DL forum that AF lounge is closed. Where did you see it?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I have not been at the ST lounge for a year. So I do not know if it is temporarily closed.
I am affraid that I disagree with Zembla. That lounge offers awful wine and no food. There is periodically an attendant coming with a small tray of mediocre canapes but that disappears within seconds. the lounge is extremely crowded in the evening (often no seats available, certainly no pair seats for couples) because of AF and KL flights.
I was never even tempted to try the wine Anyway. Last time I was there (a few months ago) it was a KL departure, and the lounge was far from full. They did have a warm food selection. They were keeping pre-measured portions of a rice with chicken dish and some noodle dish under a "cloche", and they were refilling them rapidly. Apart from that they had chicken skewers and some other warm options which I don't remember.

BTW, I cannot find any information on DL or DL forum that AF lounge is closed. Where did you see it?
Just rereading the post of Irishguy28, I think he didn't actually say it's closed.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Zembla
Just rereading the post of Irishguy28, I think he didn't actually say it's closed.
It has indeed been reported in the DL forum that the AF HKG lounge is closed. We suspected so because the HKG website (http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...e-lounges.html) no longer lists the AF lounge and instead directs AF passengers to the QF lounge. See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post23202011

I was surprised to see that there was no mention of the closure over here in AF/KL land.

I am affraid that I disagree with Zembla. That lounge offers awful wine and no food. There is periodically an attendant coming with a small tray of mediocre canapes but that disappears within seconds.
The AF HKG lounge did indeed have a lot of food, both hot and cold, when I visited in May. I had an excellent breakfast there.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you lamont2718, you provide corroborating evidence.
Note that the info on HKIA website is somewhat inaccurate; BA use the QF lounge for its premium pax even if no OW elite. But it seems clear that AFKL are now using the QF lounge which is a significant improvement even if far from usual AFKL gates.

AF website often does not report such lounge closure and is not updated frequently. Also note that the AF FT forum only includes a handful of regular posters, so some info is not "fresh".
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear that AF lounge was closed for good. But that is only hearsay (from a friend who heard it from a friend)...
Moving to QF lounge would make sense for the late night flights as QF has no such flights (maybe one MEL) and the lounge is huge. Could be a win-win situation for QF and AFKL. QF also discontinue their special hot food service at that time and only leave the buffet, so their offering is less.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:06 pm

Great news! My experience with the QF lounge in HKG is excellent. It's large, there are areas for different purposes, and with a different ambiences. Food and drink choices were a la carte and served at my seat.

But...the times I've been there were between noon and mid afternoon only.

On the positive, this means that the a la carte food service should be available for the KL departure. And ehm...it's very loungy
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
I flew out of HKG with AF, was sent to the Qantas lounge, very nice, great food selection, roomy and comfortable.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: FB Gold
I was in HKG last night and yes it was the Qantas lounge.
Its further from the AF gate (was Gate 60 last night)
but it is clean, quiet, hot buffet food and wonderful clean spacious showers - about 10 of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.