Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Korean award: Skymiles available, nothing with Flying Blue!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean award: Skymiles available, nothing with Flying Blue!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by greggyfroggy
Thanks for the above info. Any specifics about the system / application they have to use. It would be more than handful to have a name for it next time I call and ask them to 'search harder'...!
Yes, does anyone have some specific words to instruct the agent how to locate Korean Air award availability when calling FB to use FB miles?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum LT, HK Airlines whatever, Skywards Ex-Gold :-)
Happy to help:

Tell the agent that he has to make a so called "Blind Booking"!

Usually FB cannot see the (award) availability when checking the flight, they have to make a booking (X for Eco, O for Business Class), when the sent the booking within a few seconds up to two minutes the KE system confirms or deny the booking. The FB booking machine has improved in the last months, so you might be able to book the award as well online. Unfortunately when you check the award availability on the KE website it shows you availability; however it does not mean that you can book an award with FB miles. FB has a limited number of seats in their contingent, if those seats are taken, they will not be able to book any awards seats for that specific KE flight, even the award booking class this flight is still available. I had a very long conversation with a KE employee via the call center who explained that to me last week...

I hope this helps..

Good luck
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by AF 001
The FB booking machine has improved in the last months, so you might be able to book the award as well online.
Thank you AF 001, it is little snippets of information like that that make this forum so worthwhile. Indeed for the first time I am now seeing KE J class award availability on the FB award pages and CI J class is also back, both of which could be very useful to me. Does anyone know if these are now also appearing on the KVS tool? My subscription has run out, but if it is now more comprehensive I may well consider renewing.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:16 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by AJCNL
Does anyone know if these are now also appearing on the KVS tool? My subscription has run out, but if it is now more comprehensive I may well consider renewing.
KVS Tool has 100% SkyTeam Award Availability coverage (incl. KE & CI) -- it can't get any "more comprehensive" than that .
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by KVS
Quote:

Does anyone know if these are now also appearing on the KVS tool? My subscription has run out, but if it is now more comprehensive I may well consider renewing.

KVS Tool has 100% SkyTeam Award Availability coverage (incl. KE & CI) -- it can't get any "more comprehensive" than that .
What is "Skyteam Award Availabilty" supposed to mean? We have just learned here that award availability on KE flights differs according to the FFP that you are a member of. I don't think there is such a thing as "Skyteam Award Availability". And if it existed, where would KVS get this information from? If it is via Flying Blue membership, for example, then we have also just learned that not all KE award available can be seen via the FB award tool; you need to do a "Blind Booking".
In general me thinks that the principles of award availability on ST differ from those with *A, for example, where certain award seat are available (nearly!) alliance-wide.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:20 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
What is "Skyteam Award Availabilty" Skyteam Award Availabiltysupposed to mean?
SkyTeam Award Availability refers to Award Seats on SkyTeam member airlines that are accessible for redemption by members of other partner SkyTeam FFP programmes.

We have just learned here that award availability on KE flights differs according to the FFP that you are a member of.
An airline may provide preferential Award Availability to members of its own FFP, which would be in addition to SkyTeam Award Availability.

I don't think there is such a thing as "Skyteam Award Availability". And if it existed, where would KVS get this information from?
The sources vary by specific airline -- further details can be found in the SkyTeam section of the KVS Tool User Guide.

If it is via Flying Blue membership, for example, then we have also just learned that not all KE award available can be seen via the FB award tool;
AJCNL's observations actually indicate quite the opposite:

Indeed for the first time I am now seeing KE J class award availability on the FB award pages and CI J class is also back, both of which could be very useful to me. Does anyone know if these are now also appearing on the KVS tool?
you need to do a "Blind Booking".
An explanation for the Long Sell process (which is the correct name for "Blind Booking") can also be found in the KVS Tool User Guide.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
That is excellent news, and certainly wasn't the case this time last year. Based on that guarantee I will most certainly be renewing in due course.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:44 pm

I should also clarify that in relation to KE award availability, all I have observed is that the FB award tool now shows KE J class availability on the route ICN-AKL, something that I have never seen displayed before.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by KVS
Quote:

What is "Skyteam Award Availabilty" Skyteam Award Availabiltysupposed to mean?

SkyTeam Award Availability refers to Award Seats on SkyTeam member airlines that are accessible for redemption by members of other partner SkyTeam FFP programmes.

Quote:

We have just learned here that award availability on KE flights differs according to the FFP that you are a member of.

An airline may provide preferential Award Availability to members of its own FFP, which would be in addition to SkyTeam Award Availability.

Quote:

I don't think there is such a thing as "Skyteam Award Availability". And if it existed, where would KVS get this information from?

The sources vary by specific airline -- further details can be found in the SkyTeam section of the KVS Tool User Guide.

Quote:

If it is via Flying Blue membership, for example, then we have also just learned that not all KE award available can be seen via the FB award tool;

AJCNL's observations actually indicate quite the opposite:

Quote:

Indeed for the first time I am now seeing KE J class award availability on the FB award pages and CI J class is also back, both of which could be very useful to me. Does anyone know if these are now also appearing on the KVS tool?

Quote:

you need to do a "Blind Booking".

An explanation for the Long Sell process (which is the correct name for "Blind Booking&quot can also be found in the KVS Tool User Guide.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. There is one thing though that I don't understand yet. If I would like to find a Flying Blue award with the KVS tool and the Flying Blue staff themselves can check availability for the airline in question only(!) by doing a "Long Sell", then how could the KVS tool possibly know that there is availability, given that querying Flying Blue via my account would not be sufficient to find availability. In other words: how could the KVS tool possibly know more than the Flying Blue staff without doing a "Long Sell". (Obviously querying the airline in question directly via a different querying method would not work because award availability for members of the FFP of that airline is not necessarily identical to award availability for Flying Blue members.)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:47 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Thank you very much for your detailed response. There is one thing though that I don't understand yet. If I would like to find a Flying Blue award with the KVS tool and the Flying Blue staff themselves can check availability for the airline in question only(!) by doing a "Long Sell", then how could the KVS tool possibly know that there is availability, given that querying Flying Blue via my account would not be sufficient to find availability.
KVS Tool supports multiple sources for Award Availability -- carrier-specific details can be found in the SkyTeam section of the KVS Tool User Guide.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Quote:

Thank you very much for your detailed response. There is one thing though that I don't understand yet. If I would like to find a Flying Blue award with the KVS tool and the Flying Blue staff themselves can check availability for the airline in question only(!) by doing a "Long Sell", then how could the KVS tool possibly know that there is availability, given that querying Flying Blue via my account would not be sufficient to find availability.

KVS Tool supports multiple sources for Award Availability -- carrier-specific details can be found in the SkyTeam section of the KVS Tool User Guide.
Are you suggesting that as a Flying Blue member one should carry out a query via all ST FFPs that the KVS tool can query, in the hope that one of these programs shows award availability that Flying Blue can find only via "Long Selling"?
(And of course one would have to leave out a query via the FFP of the airline that one actually would like to fly with because they may offer, to their own customers, award seats that are not available for Flying Blue customers.)

To me this approach seems to rest on the assumptions that (a) there is a type of award seats (let's call them "ST awards") that are available via all ST FFPs. (With ST FFPs typically offering more seats on their own airline to their own customers, on top of those available to all customers of all other ST FFPs.)
And that (b) Flying Blue's search machine gives only an incomplete record of these "ST awards", but that other FFPs may have a record of award seats that is more complete, at least partially so.

I am particularly skeptical about (a)[which makes assumption (b) futile].
I am well aware that assumption (a) is true for *A (with a few exceptions), but in years of participating regularly in FT discussions and of reading the Flying Blue forum nearly every single day, I have not come across any post that would substantiate this assumption. In other words: I doubt that the concept of "ST awards" exists in a way similar to *A awards. But I am happy to hear about it if I have overlooked anything over the past 10 years.

Last edited by cityflyer369; Sep 1, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:09 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Are you suggesting that as a Flying Blue member one should carry out a query via all ST FFPs that the KVS tool can query, in the hope that one of these programs shows award availability that Flying Blue can find only via "Long Selling"?
Yes, if the FB Engine has a technical issue with a particular carrier/route, then a different Engine should be used.

To me this approach seems to rest on the assumptions that (a) there is a type of award seats (let's call them "ST awards") that are available via all ST FFPs. (With ST FFPs typically offering more seats on their own airline to their own customers, on top of those available to all customers of all other ST FFPs.)
This has already been addressed in Post #21 above.

And that (b) Flying Blue's search machine gives only an incomplete record of these "ST awards", but that other FFPs may have a record of award seats that is more complete, at least partially so.
That is correct.

In other words: I doubt that the concept of "ST awards" exists in a way similar to *A awards. But I am happy to hear about it if I have overlooked anything over the past 10 years.
There is no conceptual difference between *A & *S Partner Awards, but *S is more prone to technical issues with Partner Award Availability.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:58 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
(And of course one would have to leave out a query via the FFP of the airline that one actually would like to fly with because they may offer, to their own customers, award seats that are not available for Flying Blue customers.)

I am well aware that assumption (a) is true for *A (with a few exceptions), but in years of participating regularly in FT discussions and of reading the Flying Blue forum nearly every single day, I have not come across any post that would substantiate this assumption. In other words: I doubt that the concept of "ST awards" exists in a way similar to *A awards. But I am happy to hear about it if I have overlooked anything over the past 10 years.
KVS is being rather willfully obtuse here (and I say this as a KVS fan) -- you are correct that KVS shows results by screen-scraping a few other websites, including AF's. So if AF is showing incorrect availability then it will show incorrectly on the KVS tool when searching by that method. KVS also lets you search for KE awards via DL and AS, but as discussed in this thread neither of those tools are necessarily 100% accurate.

And while it is probably true that if DL can book a KE award, then likely AF can too (though it might require some extra work), this is not necessarily guaranteed. For example there have been some instances where awards on AF/KL metal seem to be available for booking using AS miles but not using DL miles. There is no such thing as a single unified "SkyTeam award seat".
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Quote:

To me this approach seems to rest on the assumptions that (a) there is a type of award seats (let's call them "ST awards&quot that are available via all ST FFPs. (With ST FFPs typically offering more seats on their own airline to their own customers, on top of those available to all customers of all other ST FFPs.)

KVS is being rather willfully obtuse here (and I say this as a KVS fan) -- you are correct that KVS shows results by screen-scraping a few other websites, including AF's. So if AF is showing incorrect availability then it will show incorrectly on the KVS tool when searching by that method. KVS also lets you search for KE awards via DL and AS, but as discussed in this thread neither of those tools are necessarily 100% accurate.

And while it is probably true that if DL can book a KE award, then likely AF can too (though it might require some extra work), this is not necessarily guaranteed. For example there have been some instances where awards on AF/KL metal seem to be available for booking using AS miles but not using DL miles. There is no such thing as a single unified "SkyTeam award seat".
Thank you, that's my impression, too, and I am not anti-KVS either.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:56 am

Thank you, that's my impression, too, and I am not anti-KVS either.
I will also add my agreement. I have just renewed my subscription as I find it a very useful tool, quick and easy to use. However it does have its limitations and I am aware of that when I use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.