Holding AF awards without miles?

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Holding AF awards without miles?

Does anyone know if I can hold a FB award for travel on AF (exclusively, no partners) - and hold the award WITHOUT miles? i dont want to transfer in AMEX points to FB unless i know for sure i can hold the reservation first.

anyone know if FB lets one hold a reservation before moving in miles for ticketing??

thx
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Nope.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not a good idea to open two separate threads on related questions for the same trip
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I tried this today and was refused.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You have to wonder about these bloggers then. Ringing up and booking flights that their status doesn't allow with miles they don't yet have.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You have to wonder about these bloggers then. Ringing up and booking flights that their status doesn't allow with miles they don't yet have.
We'll often, it's not them, it's "their friend" possibly a clue in itself...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
We'll often, it's not them, it's "their friend" possibly a clue in itself...
Or a friend of a friend whose niece heard that a coworker had a wonderful F experience on TATA airline.
Some of these blogs are totally unreliable but get quoted at nausea.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just able to set up a reservation and while on the phone told agent that I will transfer the miles while she is on the phone. She agreed and I transferred the miles over and ticketed the resv.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I was just able to set up a reservation and while on the phone told agent that I will transfer the miles while she is on the phone. She agreed and I transferred the miles over and ticketed the resv.
Good that you could transfer that fast.
But the agent was able to see the miles in your account while you were holding on the phone. That is different from first making a reservation with an option till a fixed deadline.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Good that you could transfer that fast.
But the agent was able to see the miles in your account while you were holding on the phone. That is different from first making a reservation with an option till a fixed deadline.
But it still solves your problem right? Just to be sure you can transfer instantly, first transfer 1K miles.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by epiding
Does anyone know if I can hold a FB award for travel on AF (exclusively, no partners) - and hold the award WITHOUT miles? i dont want to transfer in AMEX points to FB unless i know for sure i can hold the reservation first.

anyone know if FB lets one hold a reservation before moving in miles for ticketing??

thx
Bumping this thread in hopes of getting more recent info. I have read that 48 hour holds are possible if you contact AF by phone. It is YMMV until you get lucky with the right agent. Anyone with recent experience on this?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...scalation.html
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
It is possible to put a FB Award ticket on hold for 24 or 48 hours (depending on how fast day of departure is). I could not imagine of you tell them that you need it, because you want to transfer miles that they wouldn't do it. Keep in mind though that it sometimes takes longer then 48 hours!

Make sure you call back in time! sometimes they might stick (I had one stick for several days longer), but mostly they fall out exactly on the 48 hour mark.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
It is possible to put a FB Award ticket on hold for 24 or 48 hours (depending on how fast day of departure is). I could not imagine of you tell them that you need it, because you want to transfer miles that they wouldn't do it. Keep in mind though that it sometimes takes longer then 48 hours!

Make sure you call back in time! sometimes they might stick (I had one stick for several days longer), but mostly they fall out exactly on the 48 hour mark.

Thank you. I was indeed able to get a 48hr hold. However, I encountered some apparent phantom availability. I am trying to book 3x business class on a PRG-JFK. I found on the website a classic award but the phone agent could not pull it up, saying he only saw 2x seats available on one leg. If it possible a different agent will be able to find what I see on the website? I called the US number. Would I have better luck with the France dial-up? The first leg of the trip is a codeshare with Czech airlines. That seemed to confuse the agent a bit.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by thewhitezone
Thank you. I was indeed able to get a 48hr hold. However, I encountered some apparent phantom availability. I am trying to book 3x business class on a PRG-JFK. I found on the website a classic award but the phone agent could not pull it up, saying he only saw 2x seats available on one leg. If it possible a different agent will be able to find what I see on the website? I called the US number. Would I have better luck with the France dial-up? The first leg of the trip is a codeshare with Czech airlines. That seemed to confuse the agent a bit.
The problem might be that there is only availability on the longest leg of the journey for 3. The FB engine will display the flights, but when you try to book it will say that availibility has changed and tickets are no longer there.

You could buy the longest leg on an award and then seperatly buy the Czech Airlines ticket via Ticket+ (KL helpdesk). This will however make you trip quite more expensive. From my experience mostly 2 is the max tickets that I can buy on an award, definitly if you use one of the alliance partners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.