Wiki Posts
Search

About Garuda Indonesia joining SkyTeam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:09 am
Original Poster

About Garuda Indonesia joining SkyTeam

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to Asia in March (15th to 31st).
I'm based in Paris (AF Plat) so I'm currently looking at going to KUL then DPS then back to CDG.

Howver GA is not yet a member hence local segments currently show no earnings in the AF booking system.

I was wondering, as GA will be an offical member starting the 5th of March. Will I have a chance to earn miles and QS for my segments with them?

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Originally Posted by frenchie
I was wondering, as GA will be an offical member starting the 5th of March. Will I have a chance to earn miles and QS for my segments with them?
I also have the same deadline in mind. So you should be ok...
... Provided your ticket belongs to an eligible booking class.

Of course on the FB website there's no earning table as of March 5th displayed at the moment. But you may have a look on the current agreement and avoid the O, X, V, H, U, Z, D, E classes : http://www.flyingblue.com/earn-miles...indonesia.html

The best thing to do would be to call FB and ask if there's any change on March 5th.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:25 am

Mods, may be it could be merged with http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...b-partner.html
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys ! I'll check when I confirm the booking and let you know what I find out.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And here we are! Garuda joins Skyteam today, as announced previously, becoming the alliance's 20th member.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/P...Team-Alliance/

JAKARTA, 5 March 2014 – SkyTeam, the global airline alliance, has welcomed Garuda Indonesia as its 20th member and second airline from Southeast Asia. Garuda’s membership adds Jakarta as an alternative gateway to and from South East Asia, as well as 40 new destinations to SkyTeam’s global network served uniquely by the alliance.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
First AeroCampora... now Garupa..... wow, I guess we know where SkyTeam is heading......

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Mar 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
First AeroCampora... now Garpua..... wow, I guess we know where SkyTeam is heading......

Garuda is not a bad airline to fly with, especially with their new fleet of A330s and B738s. They have a couple of 77Ws too that flies to NRT and SYD from CGK. Heard they were planning to fly to LAX as well but not sure if that will proceed as planned.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Aerolineas also have various 737 800s and other "new" planes. It takes a lot more than relatively new hardware to have a good airline. Im an old SE Asia hand including a 2 year CGK home so trust me, I know Garupa well.

SkyTeam just continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get new members.....

Just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:26 pm
UMD

Aerolineas also have various 737 800s and other "new" planes. It takes a lot more than relatively new hardware to have a good airline. Im an old SE Asia hand including a 2 year CGK home so trust me, I know Garupa well.

SkyTeam just continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get new members.....

Just my 2 cents.
Garuda certainly had a bad reputation in the past.

When were you last in CGK? The transformation that Garuda has gone through in terms of service and safety is unbeleivable. In the past few years, Garuda has had won a lot of awards and not just from Skytrax which a lot of us in the forum do not trust but also from other institutions as well.

I myself laughed at Garuda when it announced its ambition to be a 5* airline. I never wanted to fly with Garuda before. Then when the transformation happened, I gave it a try on a SIN - CGK sector and since has been hooked with the quality that Garuda has provided. I have posted a few reports on my experiences with Garuda J service and F service last year on the trip report thread here on FlyerTalk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...j-service.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...indonesia.html

The current Garuda's fleets are on average 6 years old which consist of:

- 65 new B738 (with 8 more coming this year)
- 4 new B77W (with 3 more coming this year + 3 more in the next 2 years)
- 11 new A332 all new. All less than 5 years old.
- 7 A333 (with 4 more to come this year + 13 more to come in the next 3)
- 2 B744 (to be retired soon)
- 3 B733 (to be retired soon)
- 4 B735 (to be retired soon)
- 12 new Bombardier CRK
- 2 new ATR

All Garuda's B77Ws and majority of its new A333s have wifi connectivity onboard. PTVs are available on all its B738s, A333s, and B77Ws.

So, I can safely say that Aerolinas is not in the same league as the new Garuda Indonesia. Garuda is definetly no longer at the bottom of the barrel. Again, the transformation is not just from the new planes but also the software and the safety culture at Garuda. Onboard service on Garuda's premium class is now just as good if not better than that of SQ and CX. MH and TG are no where close to what GA is offering on its onboard service. What is amazing is that the transformation at Garuda continues.

Last edited by UMD; Mar 5, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:41 pm

Nice to hear Garupa is getting better....... I need to get back to Jakarta soon.

Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Nice to hear Garupa is getting better....... I need to get back to Jakarta soon.

Thanks for the update.

Garupa? Seriously? Hope that was a typo. Then again, I can't help but to notice the that P and D keys are considerably far apart!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Congratulations Garuda! You have truly come a long way. Look at you know!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:11 am

Congratulations Garuda. You've come a long way and already have good inflight service. Looking forward to further improvements - e.g. online booking management and online check-in across the entire system.

Last edited by zhaobao; Mar 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Congratulations Skyteam - an alliance for those who no one else wants

MEA, Garuda, Aerolineas and few others that almost no one can recall the name of... Who's next ? Air Kyoro ?

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So many non-regulars stopping by to spit on Garuda...

Has this thread been promoted on the main page or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.