Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AFKL Trip: £420 for being an FB Platinum!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Exclamation Booking AFKL Trip: £420 for being an FB Platinum!

So, I got that urge to treat myself to a short break in February, to get away from the Glasgow Winter Blues (could be the name of a Jazz Band). I had a quick look around and decided that Naples might be nice (comments on a postcard, please!).

Being a loyal AFKL customer, I went directly to the KLM website, logged on and started using the new "Plan and Book" tool (the link is to the discussion thread of this). After some fiddling about, I decided I wasn't really in the mood to do battle with this new, bug-ridden system, and the best I was offered was GLA-AMS-FCO/LIN-NAP r/t, with the Italian domestic legs on Air One under AZ 7xxx codes (possibly not earning miles/segments), at £282 (decent price, though).

So I went to the AF website, which all will agree is so much less buggy.

Here, I was offered a very similar itinerary, for the same price, (£282 all-in) but with all legs under KL codes (and "Classic" fares, thus earning the full 6 segments ^).

Fine, thought I. So I logged on to my FB account and started again ... this time, I was offered exactly the same itinerary, but for £701!!! What a perfectly fine way to reward their "Most Valued Customers!"

Not to be daunted, I logged off and started again as a 'stranger' (no cookie clearing required, BTW). Back to £282! Once selected, I could log on to my FB account in lieu of filling in my personal details, and immediately I was offered the 'privileged' seats (EC) corresponding to my status.

Weird!

-- Henry
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Flying Blue clearly recognises its Platinum members as people that have more money than sense - and treats them accordingly.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Colour-based discrimination: tss tss!!...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Henry III
Not to be daunted, I logged off and started again as a 'stranger' (no cookie clearing required, BTW). Back to £282! Once selected, I could log on to my FB account in lieu of filling in my personal details, and immediately I was offered the 'privileged' seats (EC) corresponding to my status.

Weird!

-- Henry
This would be worth a call to AF Web support asking for explanation.

If an AF official practice, clearly unacceptable. Un scandale dirais-je même.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: Many
Booking AFKL Trip: £420 for being an FB Platinum!

I suspect that is more likely a bug than actual IP tracking : they are too bad at IT to set-up that.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
I suspect that is more likely a bug than actual IP tracking : they are too bad at IT to set-up that.
This is not IP tracking as Henry III used the same computer for both search. This is FB colour tracking.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: Many
You are right.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:10 am

I can't somehow believe that this is intentional. Henry, have you reported this to AF?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Might not be IP tracking but could it be based upon residency? Especially when logged in?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
There have been reports previously of various airlines offering different prices on cookies being set. I for one have not been able to reproduce this behaviour myself.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Now its even worse ...

Tried again just now, just to be sure ...

While logged on to my FB account:

Then I logged off and immediately searched again (without even leaving the AF site and refreshing) ...

Consistent, at least!

-- H
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I think that AF is clearly trying to suggest that as a valued Platinum guest you should be flying in J, not Y and that every one else (i.e. not logged in) should greatly enjoy the sale/sucre treats in the Y cabin.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I do have the habit to clear my cache if I have been looking up a flight for multiple days and am finally going to book it.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Aha! I've spotted what's going on ... for some reason, when I log on, the 'Class' selector is always reset to "Premium Economy!"

So, I guess that makes it my fault.

- H
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Oh, you naughty, naughty man!!

No white turkey meat for you this Christmas! Only dark meat!

And you will surely get a lump of coal in your stocking for your shocking and untrue allegations!!

Perhaps it's time for you to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.