Carrying over flights from one year to another?

Old Oct 31, 13, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Carrying over flights from one year to another?

I am currently a Flying Blue Ivory member. By December of this year I will have made 12 qualifying flights - 3 short of qualifying for silver status. Most of these flights have been within Europe. As a result, I have only earned about 5,000 level miles.

Firstly, I am wondering if there is any known way to hold on to my flights from this year to next? I have read that they reset but I am hoping there is a workaround.

If not, is it worthwhile to try and book a few cheaper flights between now and the end of the year so I qualify for silver? I may make enough qualifying flights next year but I doubt it.

So any thoughts or advice are very welcome! Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
No, you cannot carry over level segments.

Level miles can be carried over, but only if you have attained at least Silver status, and your level miles balance is over the threshold for Silver (i.e. if you get to silver just on segments, and your level mile balance hasn't reached the level required for Silver, there is no rollover of miles either)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...e-members.html

The benefits of Silver are minimal. I certainly would not book 3 flights solely to obtain silver. If you really did have a reason to fly (other than for obtaining status), then it would be worth your while making sure they are level-mileage earning flights in Flying Blue so that you do reach Silver. Depending on your location, you could route through AMS or CDG on either the outbound or the inbound (which will usually cost a little more than going direct), taking a direct flight for the other leg, and there are your 3 sectors in one single journey.
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:19 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Hi!

As far as I know, there is no way to carry on FB qualifying flights from one year to another. Sorry!

It might be worth it to do the three extra flights if you value the silver benefits (priority check in, and the extra bag - can be pretty useful when travelling long haul or on MiNi fares), that depends on you!
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
If you have a Dutch or French bank account the cheapest way would be to take a Co-branded FB Gold Amex, which will give you 4 segments (without having to travel).
Old Oct 31, 13, 1:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) Le Club AccorHotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
If you have a Dutch or French bank account the cheapest way would be to take a Co-branded FB Gold Amex, which will give you 4 segments (without having to travel).
1st year is gratis, in France, and you earn Elite Qualifying Miles when you purchase tickets AF/KLM
(1€=1,5 EQM)
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/flyi...card/index.htm
http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/common...old_gagner.htm

Last edited by delanotre; Oct 31, 13 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 1, 13, 9:11 am

but only on the anniversary of your membership

so the OP won't have enough flights anyway
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:08 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by macaron95 View Post
but only on the anniversary of your membership

so the OP won't have enough flights anyway
How is that?

If he takes the card now upon payment of the annual fee the segments are usually credited.

Gajan
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:21 am

How is that?

If he takes the card now upon payment of the annual fee the segments are usually credited.

Gajan
if he takes the card now, there is no annual fee, the first year is free, then next year at the time of renewal, he will then have to pay the annual fee and he will get the segments

unless the rule has changed ?
Old Nov 1, 13, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I am neither a Dutch nor French resident so I guess I am out of luck for this year. I'll do my best to put in a few extra flights next year and qualify that way.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and help.
Old Nov 1, 13, 2:52 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: American Express Platinum, Flying Blue Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by macaron95 View Post
if he takes the card now, there is no annual fee, the first year is free, then next year at the time of renewal, he will then have to pay the annual fee and he will get the segments

unless the rule has changed ?
If you take the card now, you should receive the segments that come with the card. Regardless if you pay the annual fee or not (think of all AMEX cardholders that have gotten their cards for free for the last years, they also get there segments)
Old Nov 1, 13, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway View Post
If you take the card now, you should receive the segments that come with the card. Regardless if you pay the annual fee or not (think of all AMEX cardholders that have gotten their cards for free for the last years, they also get there segments)

ok i get it

it's because i was already a cardmember when they introduced that benefit

and then got the 4 segments on the anniversary of my membership

i didn't know that you could get these segments immediately when you become a member

that's good to know

sorry Gajan, you were right, i didn't know about new members, i thought they only got bonus sign-up and 1st annual fee waived

Search this Thread