Booking a RT ticket and not taking return?

Old Sep 16, 13, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Booking a RT ticket and not taking return?

Hi everyone,

I am sure this has been answered 100s of times but I cannot find the answer.

I am thinking of booking flight from FCO to Paris (ORY in this case), and then flying back to the US. A RT ticket is approximately $200, while a one way is around $450.

IS there any restriction that would prevent me from booking the R/t and never taking the one way? I do not have any status with AF (or Alitalia which sometimes partners that route).

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:07 pm

Hi

you can skip your return flight if you want but you'll lose it unless sales conditions allow you to change it if you pay some fees

the only issue is that you try to skip the first flight, then the return one would be cancelled automatically
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I am more worried about (a) that I would be flagged when I try to check in to board my flight to the US that would cause me to be forced to miss my departure; or (b) that my credit card would be hit with some fee if I don't show up.

I think I could take care of the first problem by scheduling the return to be well after my departure.

Since I plan to make it from FCO to ORY to catch the return of a transatlantic Open Jaw, I only need the O/W to ORY.
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Why not just buy a one-way on either Easyjet or Vueling for less than $100?

Kuwait Airlines also flies from FCO to Paris (though to CDG rather than ORY) 4 times a week and a one-way can be had for less than $100.
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Why not just buy a one-way on either Easyjet or Vueling for less than $100?

Kuwait Airlines also flies from FCO to Paris (though to CDG rather than ORY) 4 times a week and a one-way can be had for less than $100.
OK, I looked up Kuwait Airlines and found the flight, but here is the message in Red on the booking page: "*NON EUROPEAN PASSENGERS NEED MULTY ENTRY SCHENGEN VISA*--*** TO BE BOARDED ON KU FLIGHTS ROM/PAR/ROM ***"

What does this mean? Does a US citizen need a visa??
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
US passport holders do not require a visa to enter any Schengen country: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html

Besides, you will already be in a Schengen country when you are in Italy.
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
US passport holders do not require a visa to enter any Schengen country: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html

Besides, you will already be in a Schengen country when you are in Italy.
I am aware of that, which is why I thought the statement on their booking page was confusing.
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I assume that you will be flying to ORY, spend a few days in Paris and then depart from CDG to the US.
According to the contract that you sign with the airline when buying your ticket, you are obliged to fly ALL segments in the order purchased. If not, the airline is entitled to repricing. In your case, they could reprice to the $450 one-way fare.
That's the theory. In practice, especially if you do not go through a TA (who could be automatically invoiced), you run microscopic risk, if any.
But frankly, Easyjet provides a better alternative if you look for a one way. The fare is cheaper, punctuality is better, product is not worse. Pay for a reserved seat and luggage, print your BP at booking, buy some real food onboard and it will be less hassle than with AF and cheaper.

KU, I would avoid. Besides the low frequency, I believe that KU operates as an international flight, so that you will have to leave Schengen in FCO and then renter it in CDG. A hassle.

Search this Thread