Best option CDG-LHR to earn miles on AF/KL

Old Aug 27, 13, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Best option CDG-LHR to earn miles on AF/KL

I need to go to London in ten days. Flying on Friday evening back on Sunday evening. I've studied my options and I just can't understand how a ticket costing around 200 euros can earn no Miles (Mini) or else you have to pay extra 40 euros for the RT. Does anyone know how I can get an AF/KL/Cityjet flight decently priced and earn miles/segments? There is the Eurostar option at similar prices and it is really tempting, especially I don't live that far from Paris Nord Station.
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FB06 View Post
I need to go to London in ten days. Flying on Friday evening back on Sunday evening. I've studied my options and I just can't understand how a ticket costing around 200 euros can earn no Miles (Mini) or else you have to pay extra 40 euros for the RT. Does anyone know how I can get an AF/KL/Cityjet flight decently priced and earn miles/segments? There is the Eurostar option at similar prices and it is really tempting, especially I don't live that far from Paris Nord Station.
You can't. MiNi or city saver fares will earn you no miles do you need to pay up if you want them. Klm would but will be long and expensive on this itinerary. I'd book eurostar and write to them to explain how MiNi made you decide not to book AF.

I see more and more people not booking AF because of MiNi. My brother and his girlfriend just came to visit the family in Nice. They were going to book AF but when they saw they would have no luggage, would not be sat together anyway (he could book right away but she had to wait for holiday clearance so considering August prices they made separate reservations) and that easy jet had no hand luggage weight limit, their choice was easily made and full of disbelief. They are exactly the sort of people AF tell us MiNi would win, not lose, and so are you. I remain persuaded AF are shooting themselves in the foot.
Old Aug 27, 13, 3:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) Le Club AccorHotels (Gold)
... I just can't understand how a ticket costing around 200 euros can earn no Miles (Mini) ...
For 202€ you have 375 miles and 2 segments in classic, with one free luggage until 23kg.(travel friday evening, back on sunday evening)
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7323/bvxf.png

Last edited by delanotre; Aug 27, 13 at 3:27 am
Old Aug 27, 13, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
I just can't understand how a ticket costing around 200 euros can earn no Miles (Mini) or else you have to pay extra 40 euros for the RT. Does anyone know how I can get an AF/KL/Cityjet flight decently priced and earn miles/segments?
To get decent prices, you must book early.

When people have to travel on set dates, or on short notice, then the airlines can afford to charge more.

Most of the "cheap" seats have advance purchase restrictions, and 10 days out, those options will no longer be gone. Plus, as the majority of people will arrange travel in advance, the flights will already have many seats taken, meaning that only the more pricey fare buckets remain anyway.

I know this is of no help to you in this case, but if the cost is your overriding concern, then you should just book the cheapest ticket you can find. You would only have earned a paltry 374 miles anyway - if you really want miles, you can buy over 5 times that number - 2,000 miles - for €53 directly from Flying Blue.
Old Aug 27, 13, 4:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
Does anyone know how I can get an AF/KL/Cityjet flight decently priced and earn miles/segments? There is the Eurostar option at similar prices and it is really tempting, especially I don't live that far from Paris Nord Station.
Depending of your final destination, you may try Manston with KL, which is quite cheap sometimes (at least on the friday, as on the sunday the 2 MSE -> AMS flights are in the morning which doesn't sound convenient for you). Or BHX with AF if you're going north. KL also serves Norwich but it's quite expensive.
Old Aug 27, 13, 5:19 am
Original Poster

I agree I should have booked early. However as much as I can accept a 99 euro RT to be in Mini, more expensive flights should earn Miles. Since Mini fares introduction it is becoming uninteresting to fly AF in Europe if you want to qualify by segments.
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If "MiNi" was a sub-set of cheap fares available on every flight, then yes, the more expensive tickets would earn miles. But they've not introduced "MiNi" along those lines - it's only on certain routes from what I gather, and ALL fares are MiNi (unless you buy up to the ones with bags/miles), and therefore the pricing behaves like on any other flight - the fares can go up as departure approaches and/or as the cabin starts to fill. And yeah - it is ridiculous.

Speaking as someone who has only ever qualified on segments, I've got to the stage where I am no longer aiming for requalification.

Think about what you'd miss without your current status. Does it really amount to much?

Once you make the decision to get off their hamster wheel, it's actually quite liberating. And you can usually find better deals on other carriers, anyway!
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:07 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
To get decent prices, you must book early.

When people have to travel on set dates, or on short notice, then the airlines can afford to charge more.

Most of the "cheap" seats have advance purchase restrictions, and 10 days out, those options will no longer be gone. Plus, as the majority of people will arrange travel in advance, the flights will already have many seats taken, meaning that only the more pricey fare buckets remain anyway.
That is all correct in principle, however, even within those contraints, for a trip from Paris to London with outbound Friday evening and return Sunday evening, BA offers return trips at 182 available on your choice of every Friday evening flight from ORY or CDG and return on your choice of every Sunday evening flight (again to ORY or CDG) and that includes luggage, your choice of seat at OLCI (or before if you have status with BA), 100% miles and a full bar.
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Nico40 View Post
Depending of your final destination, you may try Manston with KL, which is quite cheap sometimes (at least on the friday, as on the sunday the 2 MSE -> AMS flights are in the morning which doesn't sound convenient for you). Or BHX with AF if you're going north. KL also serves Norwich but it's quite expensive.
To be honest, MSE is as much London as Ryanair's Beauvais is Paris! If going to pretty much anywhere in London, the Eurostar or BA to LHR make much more sense. Admittedly if the OP is going to Kent, or Sussex and has people fetching him/her [ ] in a car the Manston would make sense, but then so would Ashford on the Eurostar.
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:45 am
Original Poster

I ended up booking Mini because I found a good price (around 140euros) with quite good times. However it is stingy of AF not to award Miles and segments. I am FB Gold so I am not missing anything except the miles. I'm going to send an email to Flying Blue because I'm finding Mini on almost all European routes nowadays.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to send an email to Flying Blue because I'm finding Mini on almost all European routes nowadays.
I admire your optimism, but I think the best you can hope for is a personalised reply that at least indicates they actually read your letter ("We have listened to our customers and have now allowed you to customise your travel completely. Why pay for a bag if you don't need one? Why pay for miles if you don't want them! If you would like miles, please spend more money, and we will gladly give you your 187 miles!".

Perhaps Air France would be a better destination for such a letter, rather than Flying Blue - FB just carry out the day to day running of the frequent flyer programme, and they do not have any say in the fare structures operated by those airlines who use FB as a frequent flyer programme.

However, your letter (if read) would be interpreted somewhat along the following lines, I fear (and I know I am being extremely cynical):

Dearest Air France,

I am one of those annoying items of self-loading cargo that annoy you and your staff but whose custom ultimatelty helps to keep you in a job and your beautiful airline in the air. I even have one of those shiny gold cards that you give out and which gets me into the lounge! And it gets me an extra 140 miles on some routes!!! Well - not any more, perhaps.

I recently had to buy a ticket at short notice, but all I could find were these new MiNi fares that come without any bags or miles or segments - in fact, they are "MiNi" in all respects except price. But I might lose my shiny Gold card!

What you will really need to take from this letter, though, is that although I didn't particularly like the ticket or items that have been stripped from the ticket that were a standard part of all tickets until recently - I still bought this ticket from you, and will probably have to do the same in future.

I guess what I'm saying is that, although you've made the offer less attractive than it was before, I'm still (at least) sometimes going to have to travel with you.

Looking forward to future service degradation,

I remain yours,
----
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I guess the only reason I booked here was that it was the cheapest option, and I still get to access the skyteam lounge in LHR.
What is appaling is that in order to earn on FB, the best advice is NOT to fly AF. Exotic airlines like SV or SU earn easily 50% (sometimes 75% Miles) for really competitive fares at busy parts of the year. In Europe, Alitalia consistantly credits 100% on flights ex-CDG.
This is first time I fly Mini, I will report how the flight goes.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
This is first time I fly Mini, I will report how the flight goes.
As FB gold, you won't see any difference, except no miles at the end.
Old Aug 28, 13, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
As FB gold, you won't see any difference, except no miles at the end.
And not being able to change your seat at olci and not being able to change your ticket if your plans unexpectedly change... I'd argue that makes quite a bit of difference.
Old Aug 28, 13, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is appaling is that in order to earn on FB, the best advice is NOT to fly AF. Exotic airlines like SV or SU earn easily 50% (sometimes 75% Miles) for really competitive fares at busy parts of the year. In Europe, Alitalia consistantly credits 100% on flights ex-CDG.
This is not all true! There are plenty of classes on those airlines that don't earn in FB, and there have been big issues this year with FB not adapting to changed fare structures on partner airlines, with even business class fares earning nothing.

Search this Thread