Etihad code share

Old Jul 29, 13, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Etihad code share

Hi - can I get Flying Blue miles on Etihad flights when

'* Operated by AIR FRANCE FOR ETIHAD AIRWAYS' - 2 of the 4 flights are on AF metal from/to CDG-AUH , AUH onwards on Etihad

Air France was NOT listed in the frequent flying options ...

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 13, 7:04 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
AFAIK Etihad is not (yet) a Flying Blue partner. So the only way of getting miles is by booking flights with AF codes, i.e. via the AF website, for example.
Old Jul 29, 13, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
No. Etihad is not a Flying Blue partner. Any flight booked under an EY code will not earn in Flying Blue, regardless of who operates the flight.

If booked under an AF (or KL) codeshare number, then it would earn.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...d-tickets.html
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Dear All,
Thank you !

all a bit strange you cannot even get FB miles on the AF segments. now just to figure where to bank the miles ... Etihad or Air Berlin (?? as I won't make my BA this year)

Any suggestions ?

Funnier still the AF segments were not available for sale on AF - I tried that before booking on Etihad.
Old Jul 29, 13, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
For now, Air France/KLM's relationship with Etihad is only a codesharing one, and the number of routes is actually fairly limited.

(For Air France, the only destinations available in the Etihad network are: Abu Dhabi, Colombo, Mahé, Male, Khartoum, Melbourne, Sydney - with the following planned [or perhaps already in place]: Singapore, Brisbane, Kathmandu. It also doesn't necessarily mean that every EY flight to each of these destinations is available as an AF codeshare flight)

On all other routes, Air France and Etihad are competitors. Air France will therefore not want to encourage its flyers to stray to the competition by giving them Flying Blue miles on tickets purchased with Etihad and for which Air France will receive no revenue. So it's not really all that strange. (Frequent flyer benefits rarely go beyond this when the relationship is just a codesharing exercise. It's a limited form of co-operation and only on a limited number of routes).

As for wet leasing, the identity of the actual operator is usually of no significance whatsoever, at least for mileage earning purposes. It should be considered as an Etihad service in most regards. That it is actually AF doing the wetlease (and I believe this one is a bit more unusual than most, as there were reports on this board earlier about both AF and EY staff being onboard) is just a slight quirk - and it's misleading to think of it as an "AF segment". If it had been any other airline that had been contracted to provide the wet lease for Etihad, you almost certainly wouldn't have been entitled to claim miles in that operating carrier's own FFP either.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 29, 13 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 29, 13, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by svtbrown View Post
all a bit strange you cannot even get FB miles on the AF segments.
This is the case for most code-shares outside alliances, and is not unique to AF. Example : fly CDG-VIE on AF metal with an OS-coded ticket and you won't get any FB miles
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:22 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
This is the case for most code-shares outside alliances, and is not unique to AF. Example : fly CDG-VIE on AF metal with an OS-coded ticket and you won't get any FB miles
Would you get miles in a *A program in this example? As with *A the milage earning is based on the operating (=AF) carrier..
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Would you get miles in a *A program in this example? As with *A the milage earning is based on the operating (=AF) carrier..
In this example I gave, you would earn miles on OS (LH) FFP, but not other *A programs. I'm a UA mileage plus member and was refused miles in this exact configuration once. Note that the FB rule is exactly the same (a FB member will generally not earn FB miles for a Skyteam (non AF/KL)-coded flight operated by a non-Skyteam carrier).

Search this Thread