AF/KL release half year results 2013

Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AF/KL release half year results 2013

See http://nieuws.klm.com/afkl-half-year-results-2013/

It's a mix of good news and bad news as you can see for yourself. They still have a lot of work to do.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Wow, the MiNi and Hop! Revolution is proving an amazing success, mea culpa, I'm very impressed: This new offensive has led to a fantastic increase of passenger numbers of 2% (while offered seats increased by 1.4%, so the load factor has increased by an impressive 0.5% according to AF).

This has also led to the strongest increase in profitability in the entire universe with the unit cost down by 1.9% but wait, unit income is also down by 1.1% (additional note: the fuel charge alone is down by nearly 8% over the period). So overall, the net loss is down to €451 million (instead of €690 million last year). Woohoo, champagne! That is altogether spectacular!

(Note: BA and LH both announce their interim financial results on 2 August so in fairness, if they do worse than AF this will not be a horrible result for AF).
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Yikes, the company is now down to a market cap of EUR 1.8 BN.

Compare that to Aéroports de Paris, which is worth more than USD 7 BN. And by the way so is Lufthansa, and IAG despite Iberia seems profitable (wait for August 2) and is worth more than EUR 6 BN. AFKL is trading at less than half its book last time I looked. So if you want to buy the company you get it for a discount. Guess not many people believe in the company.

I really don't see what AFKL can do. Slash more costs? Only if they find a way that does not hurt their product. Increase revenues? How? The passengers added through MiNi etc. may soothen the pain a little, but it's not enough for a turnaround which will yield a sustainably profitable business and enough cash that can then be reinvested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.