FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Booking a Reward Flight in Friends Name (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1488209-booking-reward-flight-friends-name.html)

The doomed Jul 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Booking a Reward Flight in Friends Name

Is it okay to book a FB reward flight in a friends name?

I have just made such a booking and the site seemed allow the booking okay but when the confirm email arrived it said to bring along fly blue card for flight.

But FB account is in my name and I wont be flying with my friend.

"Fare conditions
*The fare is only valid if the ticket is used in the sequential order of the flight coupons.
*Please remember to bring your Flying Blue card when you travel."

:confused:

sigbjod Jul 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed (Post 21158298)
Is it okay to book a FB reward flight in a friends name?

It's perfectly fine to book a reward flight for someone else, even if you're not flying with that person. AFAIK, FB do not care who's flying as long as someone's paying. ;)

Originally Posted by The doomed (Post 21158298)
I have just made such a booking and the site seemed allow the booking okay but when the confirm email arrived it said to bring along fly blue card for flight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason you would need the FB number for the person travelling would be to easier find the reservation and perform online checkin. In addition, this shouldn't be a big issue especially as there is* no way to add your FB number to a reward flight ordered by someone else. That is, the FB number of the person ordering the rewards shows up unless you call AF and ask them to attach the travellers FB number to the reservation.

*: at least was the last time someone bought a reward flight for me earlier this year.

irishguy28 Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Assuming that you unticked the "The Flying Blue member is one of the passengers" tickbox, which would be necessary in order to fill in a passenger name other than your own, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is allowed to book tickets for others, and I don't think they will need to show your card.

The doomed Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Thank you both. Seemed logical but just wasn't 100% confident.

Any idea what luggage allowance they will have on the ticket? There's no mention prior to or after booking and no prompts to add any luggage.

irishguy28 Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

It will say in the e-ticket, or on the KLM/Air France websites if you look up the booking.

The doomed Jul 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21158644)
It will say in the e-ticket, or on the KLM/Air France websites if you look up the booking.

I tried before booking but could not find anything. Had 2 comms from booking but no e-ticket received as yet.

Thanks

sigbjod Jul 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed (Post 21158634)
Any idea what luggage allowance they will have on the ticket? There's no mention prior to or after booking and no prompts to add any luggage.

Not completely sure about this one, but I suppose it would possible to add additional luggage for a fee for instance when checking in online.

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21158644)

As a note, you might want to keep in mind that the status of the person travelling and not the person buying the ticket counts. For example, if you were to be a FB Gold member, but the person travelling has no FB status, he/she would not benefit from your status in terms of allowed extra luggage or lounge access.

irishguy28 Jul 26, 2013 12:55 am

Originally Posted by sigbjod (Post 21158685)
As a note, you might want to keep in mind that the status of the person travelling and not the person buying the ticket counts. For example, if you were to be a FB Gold member, but the person travelling has no FB status, he/she would not benefit from your status in terms of allowed extra luggage or lounge access.

While what you say is true, it still seems that most status benefits are indeed granted on tickets like this. Probably not lounge access, but baggage allowance should be OK.

I get the feeling this is not an issue in the present case anyway - I don't think the OP has status.

bodory Jul 26, 2013 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sigbjod (Post 21158685)

That is less and less true since their IT is improving (if I may say).