Wiki Posts
Search

Spending KLM Awards Miles: Tips & Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Spending KLM Awards Miles: Tips & Concerns

Hi All,
Just want to go on a short break to London with my family. Good moment to spend my Awards Miles.
Checking the KLM FB website and making the reservation, that is ...ALMOST.

It seems that it "costs" me 20k + 80EUR per ticket. Not worried about the miles BUT on the 80 EUR for taxes etc.
When I check for a regular ticket it costs 164 EUR incl all taxes.
So, spending the 80K Award miles still costs me 320 EUR for the family.

I guess checking SkyScanner and using LC carriers will be cheaper for family trips. But what to do with those "useless" Award miles?

Questions
- Are these extra tax (and relative high) contributions normal?
- What are better ways to spend the Award miles?
- What are better ways to minimize the Taxes etc.

Thanks for any tips and "sympathy".
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Short-haul redemptions are flexible (cancellation fee of €45 per ticket) whereas the cheapest economy ticket cannot be cancelled, and will incur a change fee of €70, plus any difference in fare, to change, if indeed it can be changed. So you are not really comparing like with like.

That said, shorthaul redemptions in Flying Blue are lousy value (except if you require the flexibility, or have to book travel at extremely short notice and cash fares are very high, or need to book a one-way ticket).

The best use of FB miles is generally considered to be Promo Awards, though these have restrictions.

There is no way to minimise taxes - you have to pay the full taxes for whatever route you are looking at, plus whatever carrier surcharges are imposed. Note that taxes/charges on Delta itineraries in, or from, the US (but not from Europe) are comparitively low. Taxes on itineraries from Brazil may also be low.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks Irisguy.
Yes you're right about comparing the tickets.
As this would be a short familiy trip I don't need the flexibility (just spending miles for the family).
Now these "extra" high costs takes away the fun for this trip (or even my KLM loyalty).

Are the Promo Awards updated regularly? E.g. Every month?
There were no interesting promo's for a familiy trip available.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Promo Awards are updated every 2 months. It's total pot luck and probably not the best way to obtain a family holiday.

But yes, FB is changing, and not for the better. It's certainly not being run in a way that encourages loyalty among all types of flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.