Does elite plus still have benefits with Alitalia?

Old Jun 29, 13, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat
Does elite plus still have benefits with Alitalia?

I am totally confused:

I am Flying Blue Platinum.
I often fly LIN-AMS with KLM aircrafts and AMS-LIN with Alitalia aircrafts. As all flights are in code share I can actually choose to buy the tickets with KLM or with Alitalia, price is the same as well.

My question is now: do I get the extra bag allowance and the access to the lounges even if I purchase my ticket with Alitalia? This has always been the case but I am under the impression that something has changed.
On Alitalia website I cannot find anywhere this information, they only talk about benefits with MilleMiglia but not with Flying Blue.

For example I saw that if I buy the ticket with KLM I now have allowance for 3 bags (and not 2 anymore so something has changed).

Also.... I will fly LIN-BCN with Alitalia bought with Alitalia, will I still earn segments and miles with Flying Blue? And will I still have access to the lounges?

Anyone can enlighten me?
Old Jun 29, 13, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
ST E+ benis are unchanged. You will have the same benis with AZ you used to enjoy such as lounge access.
Old Jun 29, 13, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Derbex View Post
Also.... I will fly LIN-BCN with Alitalia bought with Alitalia, will I still earn segments and miles with Flying Blue?
Beware that not all fare classes on Alitalia earn miles in Flying Blue. The earning table can be viewed here. Anything not on the chart will not earn. A flight that doesn't earn miles will also not count as a segment. It seems that "R" is the only international European fare class that doesn't earn (Note that there are different rates for domestic Italian flights)
Old Jun 29, 13, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A few additional points.

(1) some benefits will relate to the metal you fly and not the marketing airline. So extra bags will be valid on a KLM-operated flight regardless of whether you bought the flight as KL coded or AZ coded. By contrast, if you book a KL-coded AZ-operated flight, you will get the same benefits as if you booked it as AZ coded and operated.

(2) Most benefits available on AZ are available to their own elite and other ST E+ members alike. The main exception (apart from complimentary upgrades) is to do with access to preferred seating such as exit rows on the A321. Those are only free for the AZ elite plus people and not for us.
Old Jul 2, 13, 11:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
And I would add :

(3) Flying on an AZ metal with an AF/KL ticket, or on an AZ metal connecting from an AF/KL flight, or on an AZ metal with an AZ ticket and FB Gold/Plat status, the most cramped seats are waiting for you, even when checking-in at H-30 / H-24 (and in the last case without any possibility to choose another one as that's an AZ flight with 1st leg not handled by them).

Connecting tomorrow on FCO-GOA with an ~800 return ticket from France : seat 22D (at the back of the Embraer)... Last time on FCO-NAP (A321) : 18B.
Also, for some reason, AF flights from FCO are handled by AZ and have exit row seats remaining blocked if the flight is not full.

By the way, even if you're Plat, your boarding pass shall show you as gold. Known bug.

What I personnaly like with AZ is the apricot juice they serve onboard. For the other aspects of the product, that's another story...

Search this Thread