Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by Boturham
I currently have the FB Platinum card but after looking at what the regular Amex Plat offers I would be happy to switch. Is it a problem that I've only had the FB Platinum card for 6 months?
I don't know if that would be a problem. At the moment I have both.
What I do recommend however, is that you triple check the "advantages" of the classic Platinum card.
  1. Will you really tangibly benefit from the higher status at some hotels
  2. Will you really stay in EUR300+ pn hotels?
  3. What ticket fare will AMEX offer, I have yet to find any better fare and in one case AMEX could only book us at 2x the fare that I eventually booked at the airline's website.
  4. For the normal hotels I have not seen one single option cheaper that booking.com
  5. How often do you fly economy and don't you get lounge access and priority security?
  6. In Europe,does anybody give a toss whether you have iron, silver, gold or platinum?
  7. etc.
Just remember that both cards are there to make money and not for your benefit.

Last but not least, I have had AMEX for a very long time and with a few mishaps, I find the service excellent.Given the insurance, I find it also a peace of mind card.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
I currently have the FB Platinum card but after looking at what the regular Amex Plat offers I would be happy to switch. Is it a problem that I've only had the FB Platinum card for 6 months?
I have both the regular and the FB Platinum, the FB Platinum mainly for the Platinum for two perk and the regular Platinum to spend, Privium Plus, hotel status, insurance etc make it worth it for me.

There is no possible way to "switch" since Amex considers it two totally different product, so you could cancel your FB Amex (I'd suggest downgrade) and apply for a regular Amex. I have a referral link for you if you'd want one
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
If you would downgrade from FB platinum to, say, FB entry (the cheapest card in the lineup). Would the trips that you have already booked with the Plat card be covered under the travel insurance that came with the Plat card, or, the insurance rules of the Entry card would apply?

Most people here likely have a bunch of flights already booked...it would not be great of the Plat coverage would not apply for those, just because you want to switch from FB to Regular Amex..
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Originally Posted by glennhaak
I'm not sure about whether it is in T&C's, but me and another group of FF's do this on a regular basis, downgrading, upgrading for XP's etc. and it always works.

Yes there is an option to speak English on the phone. I believe it's the second option (press #2 ).
Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum

I don't know if that would be a problem. At the moment I have both.
What I do recommend however, is that you triple check the "advantages" of the classic Platinum card.
  1. Will you really tangibly benefit from the higher status at some hotels
  2. Will you really stay in EUR300+ pn hotels?
  3. What ticket fare will AMEX offer, I have yet to find any better fare and in one case AMEX could only book us at 2x the fare that I eventually booked at the airline's website.
  4. For the normal hotels I have not seen one single option cheaper that booking.com
  5. How often do you fly economy and don't you get lounge access and priority security?
  6. In Europe,does anybody give a toss whether you have iron, silver, gold or platinum?
  7. etc.
Just remember that both cards are there to make money and not for your benefit.

Last but not least, I have had AMEX for a very long time and with a few mishaps, I find the service excellent.Given the insurance, I find it also a peace of mind card.

​​​​​​​
It's a combination of things. The Privium pass for Schiphol is 215 deducted from the cost. For my holidays I do pay for more expensive hotels, the upgrades and perks are valuable to me (I think). Probably won't book tickets through AMEX, but the rental car insurance is indeed a peace of mind for me, having had and heard plenty of semi-scams while returning the car. I do have lounge access when I fly ST, but not when I fly anything else, also a benefit for me.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by glennhaak
I have both the regular and the FB Platinum, the FB Platinum mainly for the Platinum for two perk and the regular Platinum to spend, Privium Plus, hotel status, insurance etc make it worth it for me.

There is no possible way to "switch" since Amex considers it two totally different product, so you could cancel your FB Amex (I'd suggest downgrade) and apply for a regular Amex. I have a referral link for you if you'd want one
Can you send me the link? Not sure if that works at the airport but I'll give it a try.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
It's a combination of things. The Privium pass for Schiphol is 215 deducted from the cost. For my holidays I do pay for more expensive hotels, the upgrades and perks are valuable to me (I think). Probably won't book tickets through AMEX, but the rental car insurance is indeed a peace of mind for me, having had and heard plenty of semi-scams while returning the car. I do have lounge access when I fly ST, but not when I fly anything else, also a benefit for me.
The rental car insurance comes also with the KLM FB Platinum AMEX card.
Sorry what is ST ?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by emviflyer
The rental car insurance comes also with the KLM FB Platinum AMEX card.
Sorry what is ST ?
ST means skyteam . When someone says hes flying skyteam it means he is flying with one of these airlines = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTeam#Member_airlines
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:42 am

Hi

I was wondering if the French AF Amex Platinum card offers hotel status match like the normal Amex Platinum card ?

by the way, is there a list of hotel chains offering the status match with the Platinum card ?

the Amex website doesn't give details

thanks
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by enzo0511
Hi

I was wondering if the French AF Amex Platinum card offers hotel status match like the normal Amex Platinum card ?
Nope, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by enzo0511
Hi

by the way, is there a list of hotel chains offering the status match with the Platinum card ?

the Amex website doesn't give details

thanks
As a matter of fact, they do provide the details, but you must dig a bit

https://www.americanexpress.com/fr/b...platinum-card/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Vos voyages en Platinum" in the "Retrouvez tous vos avantages Platinum" section. Then, click on "Vos hôtels Platinum".

Et voila!

Last edited by schlegfr; Aug 6, 2019 at 6:49 am Reason: Added a missing word
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:17 am

Ok thanks a lot

Accor is gone from this list
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
And one thing they don’t mention.. the status is only good for one year.
After that, each year it drops one tier.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I would find it incredibly misleading if this is true. Do you have a source for this?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
I would find it incredibly misleading if this is true. Do you have a source for this?
Aren't we mixing the regular Amex Plat and the co-branded Flying Blue Amex Plat up?

At least in the Netherlands the Flying Blue Amex Plat does not come with hotel status, the regular Amex Plat does and as there is no mention of the statuses being for one year only, I'm quite confident they will last as long as you'll have the regular Amex Plat.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:23 am

Have you experienced this, bostontraveler ? Or anybody else ?

T&Cs at the bottom of this page mention that "Your Gold status is guaranteed without any condition as long as you are the ligitimate bearer of a Plat card or when AMEX notifies you that the benefit has expired".

That last part could indeed confirm this.

Last edited by schlegfr; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.