Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Oxymore
I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but it is worth noting that Amex has rolled out Amex Offers (like in the US) on French Amex cards, including the AF-KL cobranded products. That might help find more value in the card for some!
Yes but these offers are very, very weak in comparison with the Amex US offers. Virtually useless for most people unless you like buy online high priced clothes.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Is the Privium offer only for NL based Amex cardholders (doesn't say so on the Dutch Amex website but nothing about Privium at all on the UK site)?

If so I will retain Gold for this year and then let it lapse to focus my 2019 flights on BA. Lounge access in AMS is important for me and I will probably do 10 or so trips on KL next year but I value Privium security more than the pathetic benefits of FB Gold.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I expect there's very little point in offering it in other than Dutch markets. Large majority of customer would (rightly) object to paying for something they can not take advantage of.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
If you are already FB platinum and even more if you are Platinum for life, the card has very little to offer, apart from the additional platinum FB level for your partner, which in itself has only value if you travel economy.

Gripe:
It would be better to consider the visual identity (KLM/AIR FRANCE without Flying Blue, which is a totally unknown entity outside a few aviation circles) and to treat the card as PLATINUM and not as a blue or green card with some added insurance benefits, .. at a price.
The lack of any hint that the FB card is part of the platinum family, makes it look like a cheap marketing stunt. Thus, where the AMEX platinum card is among the most prestigious (TRAVEL) cards world wide (they say) the FB Platinum card is not.
I sincerely hope that KLM will stop diluting the KLM brand and introduce changes to their card with tangible benefits for what KLM calls "... their most important customers ..".
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
All these recent posts summarize very well why I downgraded my AFKL Amex from Platinum to Silver, and why I switched to the Classical Amex Platinum which offers tangible benefits, including Priority Pass.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes but these offers are very, very weak in comparison with the Amex US offers. Virtually useless for most people unless you like buy online high priced clothes.
True, but their number and scope seem to be gradually increasing. I've also seen offers such as spend EUR1, get 230 miles, make 3 purchases of EUR1, get 300 miles, etc. Also, Apple Pay, spend 20 get 10 back, PayPal, spend 50 get 10 back, a movie theater offer, etc. And they can be loaded on the main card and the additional cards. Not that bad, I would say.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Oxymore
True, but their number and scope seem to be gradually increasing. I've also seen offers such as spend EUR1, get 230 miles, make 3 purchases of EUR1, get 300 miles, etc. Also, Apple Pay, spend 20 get 10 back, PayPal, spend 50 get 10 back, a movie theater offer, etc. And they can be loaded on the main card and the additional cards. Not that bad, I would say.
Yes it has been improving. Still a long way to go.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:32 am

Hi all, i am glad to find this chat.

I upgrated to AMEX AF Platinum last year with 50k miles for 570EUR, overall I had a very good value in return net out of it in the first year, also due to flights cancellations with Air France which AXA insurances which worked very well.

I am starting the second year and after few travels over the world (i) trying to use this card on the Amex Centurion lounges, I know it was not going to work of course, and it did not; (ii) Knowing that for 590EUR per year for the AMEX Platinum I will get access to those + Priority pass + the possibility to exchange the MBR points at a rate 10MBR points to 8 flying bleu miles and having other options, I am thinking I will change to the Amex Platinum this year soon, I am just waiting February to see if AMEX France decides to increase the welcome bonus. Do you think something interesting will come?

Cheers
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I've already switched over. I've got an AMEX platinum now and I'm cancelling my AMEX KLM Platinum when my final FB points for last month are credited in the next few days.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Wentus_Kous
Hi all, i am glad to find this chat.

I upgrated to AMEX AF Platinum last year with 50k miles for 570EUR, overall I had a very good value in return net out of it in the first year, also due to flights cancellations with Air France which AXA insurances which worked very well.

I am starting the second year and after few travels over the world (i) trying to use this card on the Amex Centurion lounges, I know it was not going to work of course, and it did not; (ii) Knowing that for 590EUR per year for the AMEX Platinum I will get access to those + Priority pass + the possibility to exchange the MBR points at a rate 10MBR points to 8 flying bleu miles and having other options, I am thinking I will change to the Amex Platinum this year soon, I am just waiting February to see if AMEX France decides to increase the welcome bonus. Do you think something interesting will come?

Cheers
you dont get the welcomebonus if you have an existing amex card.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: FB Gold
Yo do get the welcome bonus if you apply for a different card family as in AF-KL Amex & "Classic" Amex. Got both bonuses last year.
Amex Fr just had a referral only campaign for the both Gold Amex (20,000 MR + 5,000 MR after 200 euros minimum spending) & Gold AF-KL (8,000 +2,000 miles if i remember well, under the same conditions). Maybe they will come up with something for Plats as well.

However, justifying the annual fee is quite difficult. In other markets than the US it should be only taken if heavy traveling is being done in order to REALLY use Centurion Lounges, Fine Hotels & Resorts and hotels&car rentals gold status.
Wentus_Kous likes this.

Last edited by Snick; Jan 9, 2019 at 2:27 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
hmmm, i switched over from fb gold to classic platinum and they said that i would not het the platinum bonus cause i have an existing amex. it is amex nl btw.
Wentus_Kous likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by Hermitage
hmmm, i switched over from fb gold to classic platinum and they said that i would not het the platinum bonus cause i have an existing amex. it is amex nl btw.
AMEX NL told me the same, but i still received the bonus. AMEX Platinum NL is worth it, if you frequently travel via AMS (Privium; and even more so if traveling outside of Schengen), often change airlines and/or fly low-cost (business class check-in with Privium + lounges with Priority Pass), and/or plan to rent car frequently or for a long period of time (free full car insurance). Ms ok986 works for a company with a very strict "lowest fare available" policy, and although she flies rather frequently, she does not reach any meaningful status with any of the airlines (or flies with airlines with no FF program - EasyJet, for example). She's a very big fan of AMEX Platinum.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by ok986
AMEX NL told me the same, but i still received the bonus. AMEX Platinum NL is worth it, if you frequently travel via AMS (Privium; and even more so if traveling outside of Schengen), often change airlines and/or fly low-cost (business class check-in with Privium + lounges with Priority Pass), and/or plan to rent car frequently or for a long period of time (free full car insurance). Ms ok986 works for a company with a very strict "lowest fare available" policy, and although she flies rather frequently, she does not reach any meaningful status with any of the airlines (or flies with airlines with no FF program - EasyJet, for example). She's a very big fan of AMEX Platinum.
Indeed I have also just applied for it.
The inclusion of Privium was the big point. Last year, I got it from the company, and loved it, this year the boss is not happy to pay for it (yet anyway) as I don't have any business travel expected in the coming months (being stuck on a project with a local client), but I want to use it for private travel anyway and would have paid for it.

So add the travel vouchers and it's more than half paid for already.

And while I do fly mostly ST and *A, and expect to maintain a status in both, it's still nice to have Priority Pass for when that's not an option.

Adding to that the insurance (better than I currently have), car rental discount and hotel status, It certainly seems to be worth it. And if I manage to reroute some regular payments through the card, then even more so.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by Snick
Yo do get the welcome bonus if you apply for a different card family as in AF-KL Amex & "Classic" Amex. Got both bonuses last year.
Amex Fr just had a referral only campaign for the both Gold Amex (20,000 MR + 5,000 MR after 200 euros minimum spending) & Gold AF-KL (8,000 +2,000 miles if i remember well, under the same conditions). Maybe they will come up with something for Plats as well.

However, justifying the annual fee is quite difficult. In other markets than the US it should be only taken if heavy traveling is being done in order to REALLY use Centurion Lounges, Fine Hotels & Resorts and hotels&car rentals gold status.
I still find i t a difficult decision, mainly due to the extra Plat FB card. None of the other FB benefits have any value for me. Status with car rental companies is also given to FB members (perhaps only Platinum).
Currently I am comparing AMEX Plat international EUR with AMEX NL EUR.
NL cost a lot more,but gives a voucher for the difference. I am not impressed by the points --> miles conversion ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.