Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
[QUOTE=delanotre;30314336]
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Hi guys......Should I go for it then even if €570 fee remains rather steep/QUOTE]

50k miles for 570€ is a very good mileage run !
Think that you earn only 32k miles on AF LHR-SIN in First class and only if you are Platinum..( 2018 april fool )
Thanks for your reply Delanotre, glad to get an other point of view!
Since the many FB April fools, I thought and told the agent that award miles are (almost) worthless, but he enumerated the long list of destinations that could be reached o/w or r/t with this bunch of miles, not bad!

The nice agent spent a lot of time to explain the insurance benefits and more, and kept saying that if I was not happy with it, after 4 months it would be easy to get back to Gold or Silver, without losing the 50k miles and XPs (but with a pro-rata refund), whilst the website and paper contract clearly mention a compulsory period of 6 months. This card might be good for me - not sure yet (thus the question here), but T&Cs are always important.

So who is right (about the bonus and the time frame)? Generally, is there any trick behind that because the agent was unable to send an email with that deal and all the conditions. It would be great to think about it peacefully over the week end as agent should call back next Wednesday!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by canadavid

What about:
- getting the gold card with 10000miles, 50 and 30XP this year
- getting the plat card (50kmiles, 60xp, platfor2 ?) next year ?

Total is 60000miles for (570+165-50=685)
Amex usually runs promotions like this every year in sept-oct (got them every fall since 5y)
It does sound like a great idea for sure!! But how are you 100% sure they are going to run this deal next year, + in Sept-Oct?
Do you get too the Xmas package with invitations?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
It does sound like a great idea for sure!! But how are you 100% sure they are going to run this deal next year, + in Sept-Oct?
Do you get too the Xmas package with invitations?
You never know but...as said I received such an offer at least 5y in a row and suscribe for the first time yesterday as I just turned Platinum.
Based in France. Not sure what is the Xmas package?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:07 pm

I had a call today to Amex because I have just paid the yearly fees for the gold card (165€). I directly asked if there was an incentive for a new year with amex because I had some offer a couple of years ago and asked for 10000miles. The agent put me on hold for a couple of minutes and tell me he is going to "fight" for me
So I got 10000 miles to be on my account on the next transfer. I should have asked for more as I had 37k of spending the last twelve months.

And tonight, I got my account updated following my application to amex platininum with 50k miles bonus.
Good mileage run today :-)
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

You never know but...as said I received such an offer at least 5y in a row and suscribe for the first time yesterday as I just turned Platinum.
Based in France. Not sure what is the Xmas package?

Mostly useless promotional stuffs...

Maybe a stupid question, I'm sorry for that if it was asked before!
I've just subscribed to the FB Amex Plat a few days ago because of the nice offer.
Anyway, for the next trip bought with the silver card ages ago, which insurance or benefits will be valid at that time?
Plat or Silver?

PS: Well done with the lump sum of miles, just because you dared asking!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
The insurance only applies to travel paid for with the card.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: KL PL ULTI, BA Silver, VS Silver
I had a call today to Amex because I have just paid the yearly fees for the gold card (165). I directly asked if there was an incentive for a new year with amex because I had some offer a couple of years ago and asked for 10000miles. The agent put me on hold for a couple of minutes and tell me he is going to "fight" for me
So I got 10000 miles to be on my account on the next transfer. I should have asked for more as I had 37k of spending the last twelve months.

And tonight, I got my account updated following my application to amex platininum with 50k miles bonus.
Good mileage run today :-)
You were lucky! Has this offer now finished? I tried to upgrade today and was told only the 24k offer was available.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by coolblue21
You were lucky! Has this offer now finished? I tried to upgrade today and was told only the 24k offer was available.
Today is supposed to be the last day for 50k offer for platinum card
https://www.invitationafplati.fr

Also available until 31/10 for upgrade to gold card with 10k bonus.
https://www.invitationafgold.fr/

Last edited by canadavid; Oct 22, 2018 at 5:21 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:43 am

Today is supposed to be the last day for 50k offer for platinum card
https://www.invitationafplati.fr

Also available until 31/10 for upgrade to gold card with 10k bonus.
https://www.invitationafgold.fr/
Thank you very much for these links. Unfortunately not available in NL I think.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I have a rather specific question about my Amex FB Gold card. I have been using the cards for many years and annually I pay the fee for the card in November. In November I used to get the qualified flights. From this year I am guess I will get the 30 XP instead. I was wondering if I upgrade to the Amex FB platinum card in December 2018, do I then get 30 XP in November 2018 and in addition 60 XP in December in 2018? If so, in December 2019, do I get another 60 XP after paying the annual fee?

Sincerely,

SB
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by strikerbird
I have a rather specific question about my Amex FB Gold card. I have been using the cards for many years and annually I pay the fee for the card in November. In November I used to get the qualified flights. From this year I am guess I will get the 30 XP instead. I was wondering if I upgrade to the Amex FB platinum card in December 2018, do I then get 30 XP in November 2018 and in addition 60 XP in December in 2018? If so, in December 2019, do I get another 60 XP after paying the annual fee?

Sincerely,

SB
Yes, you will get 30 XP when your FB gold card renews in November. You will also receive the 60 additional XP points when your upgrade is processed, as well as 24000 Miles. Not a bad return!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Is there any way to make the current offers for new subscribers work when you are upgrading from FB Gold to FB Plat Amex? Or is the only way to switch (For one year?) to the regular Amex?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:54 am

The extra 60 points in December 2018, but what will happen in December 2019? @coolblue21

SB

Last edited by strikerbird; Oct 27, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird
The extra 60 points in December 2018, but what will happen in December 2019? @coolblue21

SB
You will get 60 XP in November 2019 if you still hold your FB Plat Amex. The 60 XPs are awarded each year when you pay the annual fee. ^
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by coolblue21
You will get 60 XP in November 2019 if you still hold your FB Plat Amex. The 60 XPs are awarded each year when you pay the annual fee. ^
So I will get actually 60 extra points for free then? You are sure I will get my points in November in 2019 then? I am 9 years platinum and that last 60 points will make all the difference between platinum or not for me. Really wondering if it worth to risk it or do mile runs just in case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.