Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by emviflyer
AMEX FLYING BLUE (KLM) Platinum

A kind warning regarding lost or stolen cards for which AMEX states on their website, that when needed replacement cards often can be arranged within 24 hours.
AMEX did not make any effort to fulfill this promise and their alternative was not acceptable. As a result we had to arrange for alternative funds just before departure on a long (haul) trip.

QUOTE (from the Amex website: https://www.americanexpress.com/nl/c...-diefstal.html).
Kan ik een vervangende noodkaart aanvragen?
Ja, wij proberen in geval van nood zo snel mogelijk een vervangende (nood)kaart voor u te regelen. Vaak lukt dat binnen 24 uur, waar u ook bent ter wereld. Mocht het langer duren, dan zorgen wij voor een passende noodoplossing, zodat u uw noodzakelijke uitgaven zo goed mogelijk kunt blijven doen.
UNQUOTE

Our recent experience is not that good. Upon reporting a lost card, the agent forgot to arrange for a new card. When reminded a week later, they were not willing to expedite matters and when I reminded them the next day about the promise on the website they apologised, but were unable to help, (which I understand).
My experience with Amex France iscthe opposite.

p.s. You cannot judge the performance of a product based on the failure of one employee.

​​​​​​There must be more to your story.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by carnarvon
My experience with Amex France iscthe opposite.

p.s. You cannot judge the performance of a product based on the failure of one employee.

​​​​​​There must be more to your story.
There is not more to the story.
1. I reported a lost card to agent 1
2. A week later agent 2 told me that no replacement card had been ordered, but that she would do so. When she mentioned delivery at the holiday destination I declined, because it was a campervan trip. She said that she could not deliver to Nld on time before departure.
3. The next day I read on the website about 24h delivery and I called again, still 24h before departure and agent 3 told me there was no way to deliver w/i 24h.

That's it. What more could possibly be behind this from my side?
And, you misread my post. I don't judge AMEX. I only reported my experience and warned readers not to depend on the "often" 24h promise.

In addition, None of the agents took any initiative to offer me an fit-for-purpose emergency solution, as also promised on the website.

AMEX has no email route to complain. Just the agents on the phone.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by emviflyer
There is not more to the story.
1. I reported a lost card to agent 1
2. A week later agent 2 told me that no replacement card had been ordered, but that she would do so. When she mentioned delivery at the holiday destination I declined, because it was a campervan trip. She said that she could not deliver to Nld on time before departure.
3. The next day I read on the website about 24h delivery and I called again, still 24h before departure and agent 3 told me there was no way to deliver w/i 24h.

That's it. What more could possibly be behind this from my side?
And, you misread my post. I don't judge AMEX. I only reported my experience and warned readers not to depend on the "often" 24h promise.

In addition, None of the agents took any initiative to offer me an fit-for-purpose emergency solution, as also promised on the website.

AMEX has no email route to complain. Just the agents on the phone.
I found this information extremely useful. My card got never lost nor stolen so far, but I always had this 24h emergency replacement thing in mind. So it's good to know that one needs a better plan B...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
I found this information extremely useful. My card got never lost nor stolen so far, but I always had this 24h emergency replacement thing in mind. So it's good to know that one needs a better plan B...
Get a co-branded card on your <insert family member with same surname here>'s name, it's free and a direct backup option for your main card
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I found all the emergency services of this card exceptionally lacking compared to the US. No expedited lost card services (24h is ........), no 24/7 support, insurance is positively hard to contact, etc. — not a great card. And now no more XP / status earnings.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by Wunk
Get a co-branded card on your <insert family member with same surname here>'s name, it's free and a direct backup option for your main card
Good one! But, It was a partner-card (daughter) that was lost.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Hi all,

On my experience with Amex in France, they offered me a Auxiliary Card to have it handy just in case. When I have asked for replacements, I have got it 24 hours later.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I had problems with my card last year and also did not receive the new card in 24 hours. Its a goal to replace within 24 hours, but not a standing promise. In the end it would take 3 days. There are ways to get could help though. Giving the card number to the hotel and let them have direct contact with Amex got it solved.

the Dutch insurance company they use for travel insurance is crap for sure! Never had good news from them. I keep my Interpolis travel insurance for only 50 euro’s a year.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
In France I have generally had good experiences with Amex. But if one single thing goes wrong, however, they become instantly nasty (your RIB changed, etc...at which point you are treated as a criminal).

As far as insurance in NL is it AXA that handles it there? In France I haven't had any big issues. When I was in Italy (Amex Plat, AXA) and had to be admitted to the hospital in Sydney they were great, but I could have been just lucky.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
As far as insurance in NL is it AXA that handles it there?
Yes, for part of the insurance. They use 2 companies, but travel insurances wise its AXA. Which is - by my humble opinion - and ancient, old insurance company that doesn't want to make it easy for you to claim. I had to deal 2 times with them. 1 time they denied the claim and Amex in the end paid me my losses, since I complaint about the crappy insurance company behaviour. The second time I got my claim approved, after 24 pages of paper, multiple calls and e-mails. I don't use them anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
the Dutch insurance company they use for travel insurance is crap for sure! Never had good news from them. I keep my Interpolis travel insurance for only 50 euro’s a year.
Not my experience. Have had multiple claims, mostly for luggage not making connections but also delays and missed connections. Always paid out in full with only minor requests for explanation. Never had to deal with the medical insurance fortunately.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbams
Not my experience. Have had multiple claims, mostly for luggage not making connections but also delays and missed connections. Always paid out in full with only minor requests for explanation. Never had to deal with the medical insurance fortunately.
Was that AXA that took care of that part of the insurance or another company? I don't know what the difference is, but I believe the insurance company for 'reisongemakken' is different then for medical (which I had to use once) and holiday cancellations.

It might also be that I had Interpolis for many years before and they really are the best. You call, make a claim, give the amounts and 3 days later you have your money. Sometimes they request documentation afterwards, but first and foremost they want to process the claim as fast as possible. So I might be a little spoiled with them
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Yes its very complicated, they deal with AXA and Chubb for differing insurances. I have dealt with AXA but to complicate issues they are represented by Inter Partner, which is apparently French, but I have dealt with NL and BE offices, and according to the policy it is covered by the Irish subsidiary. Difficult to follow what goes on in the world of insurance, but as long as they pay my claims that is what I find most important of course.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Excess (Sixt for that matter) reimbursement with Amex France went 100% smoothly.

No hassle. No delay.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Excess (Sixt for that matter) reimbursement with Amex France went 100% smoothly.

No hassle. No delay.
unfortunately i had some claims. All were handled quickly an.professionally by their agent in Barcelona.
only the first claim caused some unpleasant debate, but that was because AMEX had published totally wrong conditions for flight delays. I was paid nevertheless. After only 9 months AMEX already published a corrected version of the t&c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.