Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Snick
Exact language in the conditions:
Spoiler

There's no mention of 1 night minimum, .
Indeed. I was trying to counter-argument that you did not have to pay for your entire trip.

One night was an example, not a minimum.

Whatever amount appears to be fine.

Last edited by carnarvon; Dec 14, 2020 at 1:26 am
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

Another great offer with AF-KLM...
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Maybe the only good perks of these AF/KL amex card are the yearly XP bonus and miles extension... ?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Yolow
Maybe the only good perks of these AF/KL amex card are the yearly XP bonus and miles extension... ?
Plat for 2 is nice.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Originally Posted by Wil973
why not going for digital banks/issuers like revolut or n26 or bunq `?

Because Boursorama is cheaper... Maybe better .. and always gave me satisfaction
even when I had a huge fraud in mauritius...
And not too bad the amount I can spend with it..
I loved my amex .. but I can totally be happy without it ..
But I don't believe in the lounge access incase of delayed flight with BOURSO
I think it is done by VISA Premier. They just moved that perk to the new premium metal card you have to pay so I believe they will honor it without much hassle.
A rare 25 euros gift once in a while in certain circumstances won't hurt them much.
Pleasantly surprised by the quality of service of VISA Premier the few times I needed to contact them.
Boursorama is really competitive compared to N26 or Revolut.
American Express could at least offer the FX fees for payments. It is crazy to think they increased it to 2,8% the last time they changed the conditions whereas all neobanks are deleting them.
Wil973 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I agree that the 2,8% forex fee with AMEX is ridiculous. If they lift this fee I will go from 50% of payments with my AMEX to almost 90% in volume. We should raise this issue each time they send satisfaction surveys if we want them to lift this fee.

I think that they are maintaining the forex fee because they assume that most business traveller won't be bothered because their company will pay for it when reimbursing travel expenses.

But that's not how it works for most of us, especially when there is very few business trips due to COVID...
Masterfrog likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by IstKong

Another great offer with AF-KLM...
Does any of you have already benefited from this offer ? I registered for it and made several AF purchases since that but I have not received the usual email from Amex every time you make an eligible purchase for the offer (with previous Amex offers AF- or non AF-related, I was always receiving instantly an email from Amex when an eligible purchase was made).
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Originally Posted by IstKong
I agree that the 2,8% forex fee with AMEX is ridiculous. If they lift this fee I will go from 50% of payments with my AMEX to almost 90% in volume. We should raise this issue each time they send satisfaction surveys if we want them to lift this fee.

I think that they are maintaining the forex fee because they assume that most business traveller won't be bothered because their company will pay for it when reimbursing travel expenses.

But that's not how it works for most of us, especially when there is very few business trips due to COVID...
I seriously don't understand Amex strategy in Europe. Those FX fees are often offered in the USA. And AMex European cards are more expensive with less perks. Despite the prestigious name, the insurance is nothing more than a regular contract with AXA.
Same here, I never pay expenses in dollars or other currency with the Amex due to the cost. It is like paying miles at very bad rate.
They seem not caring about the competition to be honest. I guess they try to keep very high margins on their little existing European customers market instead of trying to expand.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:10 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Does any of you have already benefited from this offer ? I registered for it and made several AF purchases since that but I have not received the usual email from Amex every time you make an eligible purchase for the offer (with previous Amex offers AF- or non AF-related, I was always receiving instantly an email from Amex when an eligible purchase was made).
Yes, I used it successfully. Registered and got the confirmation email 24h after the first ticket purchase.
Don't worry about it though: in October, when a similar offer was issued, I never got any email (neither enrollment nor purchase confirmations), but the cashback did appear after a few days.

Edit: it appears the cashback is even faster to arrive this time. Purchase made on Dec 14th, cashback appears on my Amex transactions as of Dec 17th.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
Respected giant robot,
Yes I did. Purchased a ticket on December 16, received the confirmation email yesterday, and got 500€ credited this Sunday morning.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Masterfrog
I seriously don't understand Amex strategy in Europe. Those FX fees are often offered in the USA. And AMex European cards are more expensive with less perks. Despite the prestigious name, the insurance is nothing more than a regular contract with AXA.
Same here, I never pay expenses in dollars or other currency with the Amex due to the cost. It is like paying miles at very bad rate.
They seem not caring about the competition to be honest. I guess they try to keep very high margins on their little existing European customers market instead of trying to expand.
You cannot compare the US and EU markets. They are like chalk and cheese. Among other differences, the amount of money that card issuers/banks can make from transactions is limited and regulated in Europe in a way which means that credit cards are not as lucrative for them than is the case in the US, which contributes to explaining the different approaches including the much lower perks/bribes associated with cards and the need to make their money on other things, such as exchange rates. The fees charged by Amex on on foreign transactions are pretty much in line with the majority of cards. You can find cards which have zero loading on exchange rates but they are a minority. A loading of between 2.75% and 3% is pretty common in any European markets.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by NickB
A loading of between 2.75% and 3% is pretty common in any European markets.
They are indeed common, especially when looking at credit cards (although technically AMEX is not even that, rather I think it's called a charge card, whereby you have to pay the full amount at the end of the month).
Everyone with a legal residence in Europe can sign up to the likes of Transferwise which offers 0% forex fees debit card, gives you an EU IBAN to which you can easily transfer money from every other EUR account (and other account numbers if you have GBP/USD etc. you'd rather use) so why use AMEX at all for transactions not in EUR?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by maalloc
Yes, I used it successfully. Registered and got the confirmation email 24h after the first ticket purchase.
Don't worry about it though: in October, when a similar offer was issued, I never got any email (neither enrollment nor purchase confirmations), but the cashback did appear after a few days.

Edit: it appears the cashback is even faster to arrive this time. Purchase made on Dec 14th, cashback appears on my Amex transactions as of Dec 17th.
Originally Posted by SpinEcho
Respected giant robot,
Yes I did. Purchased a ticket on December 16, received the confirmation email yesterday, and got 500€ credited this Sunday morning.
Thank you guys. Will follow-up.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
I did several purchase as well, but I didn"t get yet email confirmation about eligibility to this offer; May we wil lget credit without email about it;
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto
the likes of Transferwise which offers 0% forex fees debit card
Just a heads-up, the Transferwise card is no longer zero forex fee card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.