Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting! Now if Apple only releases the iPhone 12 with features as rumored it may be worth switching back..

I've always wondered how that works though. When you add your Amex to Apple Pay and use that to pay a merchant...how does the merchant get paid? By Apple or Amex?

Reason being that Amex is not supported in many places, but Apple pay is. I'm wondering if this could be used to still pay with Amex at places where the card would otherwise not be accepted. It would be a great hack to allow paying daily groceries with Amex, rather than Maestro as that's the only card type accepted in most supermarkets in NL.. (Outside of randstad at least)
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Interesting! Now if Apple only releases the iPhone 12 with features as rumored it may be worth switching back..

I've always wondered how that works though. When you add your Amex to Apple Pay and use that to pay a merchant...how does the merchant get paid? By Apple or Amex?

Reason being that Amex is not supported in many places, but Apple pay is. I'm wondering if this could be used to still pay with Amex at places where the card would otherwise not be accepted. It would be a great hack to allow paying daily groceries with Amex, rather than Maestro as that's the only card type accepted in most supermarkets in NL.. (Outside of randstad at least)
The merchant still needs to accept Amex. It's like contactless payments, whatever card you have still needs to be accepted by the merchant.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by arjen05
The merchant still needs to accept Amex. It's like contactless payments, whatever card you have still needs to be accepted by the merchant.
Correct. And, unfortunately, most terminals accepting Amex and contactless Visa payment do not accept Amex Apple Pay or even physical Amex contactless card. At least this is true in Europe.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Correct. And, unfortunately, most terminals accepting Amex and contactless Visa payment do not accept (...) Amex contactless card. At least this is true in Europe.
Amex told me that the reason was that the terminals needed to be updated and they were in the process of contacting the merchants to tell them about it.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Amex told me that the reason was that the terminals needed to be updated and they were in the process of contacting the merchants to tell them about it.
I have heard that many times but it is like this for years, so...
carnarvon likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have heard that many times but it is like this for years, so...
My 6th sense was telling me the same.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I can only speak for NL, but over the last few weeks I've had a 100% success rate with paying contactless with AMEX, including twice via Apple Pay yesterday.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
It keeps improving. Those mobile devices that street vendors and the like use also accept amex.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Some other might have noticed it already, but Apple Pay (at least for the Dutch cards), shows transactions with a (slightly) different merchant name and in case transactions are not in euros, Apple shows the amount without additional Amex charges. Apple also shows authorisations on your card, where Amex hides them in their app or monthly overviews.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by Xandrios

If it works like in italy, the merchant is paid by amex, apple pay is not a "wallet" but only a payment technology. So: if merchant isn't affiliate to amex, you sadly cannot do the payment...here in italy we have the same problem.
But, I can suggest you, there are many prepaid card (mastercard) that you can charge by amex with a little fee... one of them is skrill.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Just as a data point, I got a 300 EUR discount on the 600 EUR fee for Amex FB Plat. I had used it quite a lot, but not anymore due to not traveling.
Last year I had a bit more, but they wouldn't do that anymore..

Took the offer and got it credited already
Did you call AMEX NL and ask them for a discount and did they offer this without much fuss? Also does anyone know if the Comfort seats my wife has booked for free with her Platinum Partner card, will then be charged somehow if I downgrade to Gold, and therefore she no longer has a Partner Platinum card?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Dougy Giro
Did you call AMEX NL and ask them for a discount and did they offer this without much fuss?
You need to push a bit to get to 300 and they have to ask a supervisor to go over 120 or 150 or so...
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Any experiences in France?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Originally Posted by r0gerthat
You need to push a bit to get to 300 and they have to ask a supervisor to go over 120 or 150 or so...
Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Any luck getting gold membership fee lowered?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.