Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Originally Posted by emviflyer
Looks very interesting, but .. what exchange rate do they apply? They must be making money some way.
They just make money with normal payment transactions. You need to do 1 payment/month or you have to pay a 15 euros monthly fee which is not much of a problem. It is a normal online bank backed by "Société Générale". So they also make money on other financial products too. The French market is super competitive those days for online banking so the offers get better and better to attract new customers. It was an answer to Revolut and N26 which are taking big European maket shares. The Amex feels like a rip off with their 2,8 % FX fee for payments when you see the other players.
Unfortunately, you need to be French resident. But Revolut and N26 are nice alternatives for payments outside the eurozone.
IstKong likes this.

Last edited by Masterfrog; Jan 2, 2020 at 4:46 am
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Masterfrog
They just make money with normal payment transactions. It is a normal online bank backed by "Société Générale". So they also make money on other financial products too. The French market is super competitive those days for online banking so the offers get better and better to attract new customers. It was an answer to Revolut and N26 which are taking big European maket shares. The Amex feels like a rip off with their 2,8 % FX fee for payments when you see the other players.
Unfortunately, you need to be French resident. But Revolut and N26 are nice alternatives for payments outside the eurozone.
Thanks! I have got a (free) prepaid card from Revolut for taking out cash outside Euro-zone. Will see if they have a 'real' creditcard, so I don't have to worry aboutr the pre-payment

btw, the referral bonus for the Dutch Flying Blue American Express is still 20.000 points for the person using a referall link and the one who shares the referral link. I expected it to end 31 december, but it's still live
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Hi,

Can someone send me a referral link for the Dutch Flying Blue AMEX ?

By the way, I can refer for any french AMEX Card if relevant. (actual offer for standard Gold is 25 000 MR Points and first year annual fee voided, not bad at all).

Last edited by IstKong; Jan 6, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by IstKong
Hi,

Can someone send me a referral link for the Dutch Flying Blue AMEX ?

By the way, I can refer for any french AMEX Card if relevant. (actual offer for standard Gold is 25 000 MR Points and first year annual fee voided, not bad at all).
Here you go. This is the link for the Dutch Flying Blue American Express credit card:
http://www.americanexpress.nl/introd...CPID=100256004
Current offer for the gold card is 20.000 miles, 30 XP and free credit card for first year (you can cancel whenever you want).

And thank you :-)

Last edited by Nvgfocus; Mar 3, 2020 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:09 am

Hi,

I recently moved to France and I am considering applying for a FB Amex. Is the referral bonus still valid? If yes, can any of you please send me the refreral code?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:17 am

Here you go:
http://www.americanexpress.fr/parrai...CPID=100199919

This offer is good for 8k miles for the gold card, fee waived the first year (4k for the silver, 30k for the platinum).
AFAIK the referral mentioned above is only good for the dutch card. IMHO if you never had a french FB Amex, the best deal is to get the platinum card and downgrade to Gold after one year.

Bienvenue en France! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
And thank you very much!

Last edited by Benjh; Mar 3, 2020 at 2:27 am Reason: more detais
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Marambio
Hi,

I recently moved to France and I am considering applying for a FB Amex. Is the referral bonus still valid? If yes, can any of you please send me the refreral code?
Hey Marambio,

Welcome to France! Not sure which "level" of the FB French Amex card you want, but if you want a referral for the Platinum one, here you go: http://www.americanexpress.fr/parrai...CPID=100199919

This will get you 30,000 Flying Blue miles (and 60XP, of course)

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:39 am

Merci everyone! I ended up using Benjh's code as I was looking for the Gold card. I just submitted everything - we'll see when/how they reach out to me.

Originally Posted by Benjh
Here you go:

This offer is good for 8k miles for the gold card, fee waived the first year (4k for the silver, 30k for the platinum).
AFAIK the referral mentioned above is only good for the dutch card. IMHO if you never had a french FB Amex, the best deal is to get the platinum card and downgrade to Gold after one year.

Bienvenue en France! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
And thank you very much!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:09 am

Hi All!

I live in Nice and have never been involved with Amex before and really want to get one. My question is would I get lounge access with the AF cards as I would with the normal Amex gold/platinum cards? I have no status with any airline. Also, any general advice on things to consider before getting an Amex or which card to get etc would be more than welcome as I'm a complete newbie!

Cheers!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Pandor
Hi All!

I live in Nice and have never been involved with Amex before and really want to get one. My question is would I get lounge access with the AF cards as I would with the normal Amex gold/platinum cards? I have no status with any airline. Also, any general advice on things to consider before getting an Amex or which card to get etc would be more than welcome as I'm a complete newbie!

Cheers!

Here you are, the link for FR.

Personnally, I suggest the Gold card for your first year.

You can not access to the lounge with this AMEX card.
But you can access the Accor Live Bar with it.

Nowadays, I only purchase things with my Amex card (sometimes contactless does not work), so it is quite fast and easy to earn miles.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by n00d1e5
Here you are, the link for FR.

Personnally, I suggest the Gold card for your first year.

You can not access to the lounge with this AMEX card.
But you can access the Accor Live Bar with it.

Nowadays, I only purchase things with my Amex card (sometimes contactless does not work), so it is quite fast and easy to earn miles.
Thank you!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Pandor
Thank you!
One more thing, SNCF accepts the AMEX, but not all the time.
Once you have the card, save it via OUI.SNCF application, then it is 100% for the payment.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by n00d1e5
(sometimes contactless does not work)
Ah! It's not just me then!
​​​​​​I almost never get contactless to work in France, but most of the time it works abroad without issues, for EUR as well as other currencies.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by AlvinMaker
Ah! It's not just me then!
​​​​​​I almost never get contactless to work in France, but most of the time it works abroad without issues, for EUR as well as other currencies.
Up to today, I only use the contactless in FNAC.
Not possible in Auchan, Carrfour, McDonald's, etc...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
Merci everyone! I ended up using Benjh's code as I was looking for the Gold card. I just submitted everything - we'll see when/how they reach out to me.
Thanks a lot Marambio! Hope everything works out fine.
AFAIK it doesn't really matter what card the "parrain" has, you can get any card with the basic bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.