Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to long-haul awards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: FB Amex silver / amex green
Originally Posted by Gajan
As discussed in the past, Flying Blue has been researching the possibility to reduce the long-haul fuel-surcharge.

Starting June 2013 there will be changes implemented:
  1. Increase of the number of upgradeable booking classes to 8 (amount of miles required is fare dependent);
  2. Miles required for economy remains at current rate (for base level);
  3. Miles required for business increases slightly;
  4. Just as for short-haul there are a number of tiers available at different rates, resulting in the fact that there are more fare classes available (rather than booking flex tickets).
Awards can be booked under the current rules until the end of the year

Information can be found here: http://www.flyingblue.com/news/1397/...l-flights.html

Flying Blue is interested to hear your initial thoughts.

JOUY31 & Gajan
Slightly increase??? 25% more miles required for business class flights ……. KLM/AF are already not attractive but this makes it worse….. Business class Singapore is now 200.000 miles ridicules. Miles & More is charging 135.000 and BA (one world) 140.000 from LHR. (210.000 for first class). And, especially Miles & More is more generous in earning miles....
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
When we were asked to provide examples from other European FFPs and their burning rates, I thought we had done a good job in showing them just how poorly Flying Blue compared.

Apparently we failed.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by irishguy28
When we were asked to provide examples from other European FFPs and their burning rates, I thought we had done a good job in showing them just how poorly Flying Blue compared.

Apparently we failed.
Yes, I and others certainly made it very clear that they should look at what BA has done. It's nice to see a reduction in surcharges, but the big increase in miles hurts. And are they really doing away with the O bucket? I agree that *could* be a severe penalty to elites. As far as I can tell there isn't any benefit to being elite other than earning a few more miles on flights. What other airline doesn't give preference with award booking to its elites?

Also, this information says it is for AF and KL. What about KQ? Is their FB award structure not changing? I don't see any news on the KQ site.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, I and others certainly made it very clear that they should look at what BA has done. It's nice to see a reduction in surcharges, but the big increase in miles hurts. And are they really doing away with the O bucket? I agree that *could* be a severe penalty to elites. As far as I can tell there isn't any benefit to being elite other than earning a few more miles on flights. What other airline doesn't give preference with award booking to its elites?

Also, this information says it is for AF and KL. What about KQ? Is their FB award structure not changing? I don't see any news on the KQ site.
KQ will surely update their website in 6 months to a year once Flying Blue informs them of the change or sooner if somebody at KQ is a FlyerTalk member.

Don't know why people are still Flying Blue members after the downhill slide of the last couple years. Gluttons for punishment I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:36 pm

What about KQ? Is their FB award structure not changing? I don't see any news on the KQ site.
You seem surprised by this?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Thumbs down

A ball of sick
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
And are they really doing away with the O bucket? I agree that *could* be a severe penalty to elites.
What other airline doesn't give preference with award booking to its elites?
At that stage, I'm not sure we can say that. What is sure is that there will be no more Elite awards (for 115%), but will there still be some extra-inventory for elites at the classic award level ?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life, Etihad Gold, AA 1m Miles
Please note, however, that the number of Award Miles required for intercontinental award tickets will be increased at the same time. This increase applies only to Premium Economy Class, Business Class, First Class and Flex Awards.

They think their premium class customers are a soft touch? I personnaly will complete my PFL this year then move on. They treat us like idiots. 35 KLM business class passengers on a 777 are roughly the price of 140 economy. Wake up AF KLM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life, Etihad Gold, AA 1m Miles
What a load of marketing "bull"

"The required number of Miles for most award tickets will change at the same time, better reflecting the value of the award ticket."
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am glad that I have stopped flying AF, unless necessary (which still happens occasionally).
For HKG-CDG one way I will need a minimum of 100K in a bad J and 260K in a poor F. And that is only for classic awards. I wonder how much will be required for Flex F award
With BAEC who lowered the spend rates, I do the same for 60K on CX wonderful J and 90K on CX wonderful F suite. Come on, 100K for AF angled seat and 90K or CX F suite, is that a joke?
And I find the earn rate more attractive on BAEC.

I feel sorry for the AF aficionados. I do not mind the usual misleading AF marketing blabla. But they clearly decided that they will cut down on FB. That will induce an instantaneous gain on their balance sheet (the value of the miles liability will go down by 25% or more) and it shows that they believe that a FFP is of little importance in the travel pattern of frequent flyers. Let the market decide.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 25, 2013 at 12:49 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
Well we have to put it into perspective : new upcoming J seats on both KL AF resulting in lower density means higher per seat costs. Those need to be recouped in the award price structure.

They can't change the grid every morning.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I agree with orbitmic's 6 points and wonder why they don't have more competent people at FB.

Also it would be nice if they could provide full information, i.e. booking classes used and corresponding miles levels and detailed new upgrade rules.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by mogoy
Well we have to put it into perspective : new upcoming J seats on both KL AF resulting in lower density means higher per seat costs. Those need to be recouped in the award price structure.

They can't change the grid every morning.
Indeed, they cannot change the grid every morning, so why change it today when we know that the new seats will not be available on AF for another year at the very least. And probably stuck with NEV4 for the next several years.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, they cannot change the grid every morning, so why change it today when we know that the new seats will not be available on AF for another year at the very least. And probably stuck with NEV4 for the next several years.
For true, it is irksome. Maybe because KL roll-out is soon - I don't know when exactly - and they certainly don't want to add more confusion by differenciating KL from AF.

In any case, we are in for a loss in value during the transition (and that will be longer on AF than KL, and even longer on A380 that are supposed to stay with NEV4 or worse).

So either book now, low mileage-low J seat awards, or wait for having better seats at higher mileage (and incurring the risk in the meantime of yet another bad surprise, FB specialty).

Last edited by mogoy; Apr 25, 2013 at 1:26 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
For HKG-CDG one way I will need a minimum of 100K in a bad J and 260K in a poor F. And that is only for classic awards. I wonder how much will be required for Flex F award
I thought that F were flex awards and that classic-type F awards had disappeared several years ago. Have I misunderstood how F awards work (not that it matters that much to me as, at that level, the odds of my redeeming in F are on a par with my dancing naked on the Place de la Concorde).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.