Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by erik123
Are there any elite benefits on 9W?
Are there any on AF/KL?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
No there are not; Jet Airways is not a Skyteam partner.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
This is not a sufficient point. The old FB partner site listed some selected status benefits on non-ST airlines.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
According to FlyingBlue.com, you can earn (Award miles only, in a limited number of fare-classes) and burn on 9W - but it doesn't mention any status benefits.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: FB Plat
I have more or less the same question, as I'll be booking a ticket to KTM on KLM.com in the near future, which includes a segment on 9W. The AMS-DEL segment will be KL coded & metal, the DEL-KTM segment will be 9W coded & metal. I'm not expecting lounge access in DEL (because I won't be on a connecting international skyteam flight), but I am expecting my luggage benefits (extra bag) to transfer to 9W, because I'm not claiming my bags until i'm in KTM.
Is this expectation realistic?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Sieto
I have more or less the same question, as I'll be booking a ticket to KTM on KLM.com in the near future, which includes a segment on 9W. The AMS-DEL segment will be KL coded & metal, the DEL-KTM segment will be 9W coded & metal. I'm not expecting lounge access in DEL (because I won't be on a connecting international skyteam flight), but I am expecting my luggage benefits (extra bag) to transfer to 9W, because I'm not claiming my bags until i'm in KTM.
Is this expectation realistic?
In case of multiple carriers rules of the most significant carrier apply
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Egor
In case of multiple carriers rules of the most significant carrier apply
Do you know how 'most significant carrier' is defined? And is there a reference for this rule somewhere?

The baggage section of KLM.com says:
Some of our partner airlines have different baggage rules to our own. Please contact your travel agency or the airline concerned for further details.
However, it's not clear in which cases these different baggage rules may apply (eg: KL codeshares operated by other airlines?; non KL-coded flights on tickets sold by KL (as in Sieto's question)?; etc, etc). IIRC, in the past klm.com was more explicit in saying that the operating carrier's baggage rules applied, even for codeshare flights - but I might be wrong.

Of course, what actually happens at check-in may be a different matter - but I don't have recent experience of through-checking bags onto a non-ST coded or operated flight...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:08 am

Most significant carrier is the carrier who takes you the most number of miles in that itin
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by mrahul
Most significant carrier is the carrier who takes you the most number of miles in that itin
I don't think this is true, it is more complex: it is about IATA areas and subareas and has nothing to do with the longest flown itinerary.

JAL explains it quite good
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/other/info2011_0304iata.html

Example: If you fly PK from Karachi (area 3) to Dubai (Area 2) and then BA from Dubai to London (Area 2), the most significant carrier is PK. It also holds true in the reverse direction.

If you fly AF on NCE CDG, SN on CDG BRU and AY on BRU HEL, the most significant carrier is then SN (first international carrier for a trip within one subarea = Europe). On the reverse flight however, it would then be AY rules that matter.

So for the OP, as KLM is the carrier between Area 2 and Area 3, that's their allowance and charges that matter for the whole trip from AMS to KTM.

Don't worry, airlines don't know these rules either! Once flying on RO from TSR to OTP (domestic Romania) and then SU from OTP to SVO, with 2 heavy luggages, RO tried to charge me for excess luggage as first carrier (they allow 3*23 kg in C) whereas SU allows 2*32 kg. They said they would let me go without paying but that it was a favor. I told them it is not a favor but my rights, went to their ticket office but they were unable to find IATA resolution information... checked afterwards and I was right. If I was not in C or had not skyteam status, they would have made me pay for sure, according to RO rules and not according to SU rules... and here, when take off time approaches, there is not other alternatives, and then fight the charge later with their silent customer service or with your credit card company.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

FYI - I did check in at the business desk at DEL (mentioning my gold) but they seem to let many non status pax do that as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.