Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Oz on China Southern

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FlyingBlue Pt, Marriott Pt

I'm hoping to plan a trip to Australia this summer from the UK (NCL to MEL and SYD). I want to treat myself by flying Biz.

Checking various websites gave me some options on China Southern via Guangzhou.

Anyone got any experience on these routes ? What are China Southern like ? How easy is it to connect in Guangzhou ?
Will I earn FB points - even if I book flights via China Southern ?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Brobdignag
Will I earn FB points - even if I book flights via China Southern ?
Depends on the fare bucket.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Depends on the fare bucket.
I may be wrong but I believe that all paid business class buckets are eligible. You are right that it wouldn't be the case with some (quite a few) economy buckets though.

It is also worth checking that the flights you would take are not excluded (see FB partner pages). For example, on CI (China Airlines), I know that AMS-TPE is not eligible for accrual, not sure if similar restrictions exist on CZ.

Finally, service wise, the new CZ A380 are supposed to be excellent in J if that is an option on your routings. The other aircrafts not as good, but you will find multiple reports and discussion in the 'other Asian airlines' thread on FT.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:07 pm

Since a few months, FB accrual is possible on CI AMS-BKK-TPE by the way.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Since a few months, FB accrual is possible on CI AMS-BKK-TPE by the way.
Thanks, that is a very good development indeed - but then one more thing incorrect on the FB pages on miles earning (sadly, not the only mistake there at all): http://www.flyingbluenews.com/earn-m...-airlines.html
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
All Chinese airlines are investing heavily on new Biz seats for their longhaul (LH) aircraft. CZ A380 is supposed to be excellent. But you have to check carefullywhich aircraft is used. Service is often below-par (but improving on LH) but for such long flights between Europe and OZ, having a flat bed makes a huge difference. You might consider a transit on a chinese airline via Beijing or Shanghai as you can now have a 72hrs stopover without visa.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:40 am

I did UK- AMS then onto China Southern to Guangzho last year in Biz.

Service was not what you'd expect from a Western airline, it was OK, but just OK. All the crew wanted to do was get the food served, and get the lights off, mid afternoon from memory, and then it was a help yourself option for food and drinks set up at the front of the cabin.

Would I use it again ? Only if it was VERY cheap.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by tezzer
I did UK- AMS then onto China Southern to Guangzho last year in Biz.

Service was not what you'd expect from a Western airline, it was OK, but just OK. All the crew wanted to do was get the food served, and get the lights off, mid afternoon from memory, and then it was a help yourself option for food and drinks set up at the front of the cabin.

Would I use it again ? Only if it was VERY cheap.
As written here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.